How loud is a Muse gig?

sangforabsolution

Loud and dynamic are two different things. I think your referring to the music being highly compressed, so all of it is loud.

The show/band sounded awesome, and you could definatley hear the dynamics/nuances.

I really want to see TCV, glad to know that you can hear the dynamics/nuances. So I will remember that I NEED earplugs if I ever get lucky enough to catch them! :D

how much are some decent earplugs then, anyone recommend some?

Also,on my ipod, I rarely turn the volume above half way for like the last year and a half, I've been to 4 gigs (muse at wembley but right at the back, green day in seating, and paramore twice, once at the barrier) yet my hearing is kinda crap :/

I'm planning on being at the barrier in Phoenix. Is the sound any different at the barrier? My friend told me that if you're at the barrier the sound is not good and it starts to sound staticy and what not. Has anyone experienced this?

The sound can be pretty dodgy at the barrier, but the same is true wherever you are - possibly barring right by the sound desk. Some venues are just a box and have horrible acoustics.

I specifically remember during the Teighnmouth fiasco with the sound thing that Chris had stated that they are generally at 120dB but have topped out (Stockholme Syndrome end riff) at 160 sometimes. When my son left the concert on '06 from a 2900 seater venue, he was complaining of his ears hurting. When I saw them in a 5500 seat arena the bass was so loud that my pants and hair was shaking because of it. If that helps you guage the dB and sound! We thought it was very loud, but very clear, not overbearing like the opening band was.

I'm planning on being at the barrier in Phoenix. Is the sound any different at the barrier? My friend told me that if you're at the barrier the sound is not good and it starts to sound staticy and what not. Has anyone experienced this?

I have been at the barrier several times for different gigs and I have never had issues with sounds, especially not Muse. Franz Fernidand on the other hand, the 10 minute closing to Lucid Dreams left me twice with ringing ears for a day!

I specifically remember during the Teighnmouth fiasco with the sound thing that Chris had stated that they are generally at 120dB but have topped out (Stockholme Syndrome end riff) at 160 sometimes. When my son left the concert on '06 from a 2900 seater venue, he was complaining of his ears hurting. When I saw them in a 5500 seat arena the bass was so loud that my pants and hair was shaking because of it. If that helps you guage the dB and sound! We thought it was very loud, but very clear, not overbearing like the opening band was.

ooh, who were the support act?

yeah i notice they're very loud, but always really clear, not drowning out or fuzzing up everything

I have been at the barrier several times for different gigs and I have never had issues with sounds, especially not Muse. Franz Fernidand on the other hand, the 10 minute closing to Lucid Dreams left me twice with ringing ears for a day!

Ok thanks! That's what I thought. It didn't seem right that the sound would be dodgy just at the barrier. As someone else said...it's like that everywhere sometimes. I still definitely want to be on the barrier. :awesome: I'll bring ear plugs just in case.. :$ Usually my ears are good but I'm afriad I'm going to walk out deaf. :LOL:

Ok thanks! That's what I thought. It didn't seem right that the sound would be dodgy just at the barrier. As someone else said...it's like that everywhere sometimes. I still definitely want to be on the barrier. :awesome: I'll bring ear plugs just in case.. :$ Usually my ears are good but I'm afriad I'm going to walk out deaf. :LOL:

Pardon, What did you say? ;)

Yeah. It's always worse at the barrier due to you getting the off-axis response of the speakers and possibly phase issues and all sorts of stuff.

You'll hear what's going on, but you won't get the detail, clarity and full bass you get further back.

When I was front row the sound quality was no where near as good as when I was further back (the few times that i've been further back were all better sound)...

160 dB? Surely not. Concorde on take off at the back of the engines was 140 dB. Earls Court 2004 on the second night was loud enough at the front that when it ended, I remember pitching forward, so say 120 dB. Thanks to concert earplugs, I can still hear myself think.

Testing the hifi with a new set-up tonight, it was 106 dB at 1 metre from the speakers, 95 dB at 3 metres, and that was nicely loud (we have a detached house), but not concert levels. At Teignmouth, you could hear someone talking next to you. :noey:

Anyone have a good recommendation for some earplugs? I have really sensitive ears and will get ringing in my ears for a good 3-4 days after concerts so I need to pick some up for Muse.

My dad brought some home for us. I haven't used em yet but they're supposed to be really good. He does computer work for a place where the machines are UBER loud..they all are required to wear earplugs so I'm guessing these are hardcore earplugs. They're the kind that are soft and you roll them up to a point and stick em in your ear.

Anyone have a good recommendation for some earplugs? I have really sensitive ears and will get ringing in my ears for a good 3-4 days after concerts so I need to pick some up for Muse.

A fellow boardie recommended these to me - Alpine MusicSafe Pro Natural Sound Ear Plugs. Just got my set in the mail today... gonna give them a test run at SXSW in a few weeks! http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/alnasoearpl.html

Archived