How loud is a Muse gig?

sangforabsolution

Wasn't 85 db the limit Teignmouth had set for that gig and the band was kinda miffed about it because it's not that loud? I think they ended up going above that.

Edit: Actually Teignmouth limit was supposed to be 84.1, so I'd imagine that's pretty tame.

And because I'm bored: http://www.asha.org/public/hearing/disorders/noise.htm See chart at bottom.

85dB can cause hearing damage after a certain amount of time, and every 3 dB (double SPL) will decrease that time by half.

If you're worried it's too loud get some DECENT earplugs which filter the sound, they are designed to cut the sound pressure on your ears and not muffle the sound like having cloth in them or something.

SPL drops -6dB for doubling your distance.

Makes no sense of having a limit of 85dB at the Teignmouth show. That is all relative to where you are vs the speaker array. If the speaker array was to put out 112dB (which would be low), then @ 2m you would get 100dB (1m would be 106dB), @ 4m you would have 97db, by 32m you be 72dB. That's not that far of a distance, considering a football field is what around 100m?

mmm Physics.

SPL drops -6dB for doubling your distance.

Makes no sense of having a limit of 85dB at the Teignmouth show. That is all relative to where you are vs the speaker array. If the speaker array was to put out 112dB (which would be low), then @ 2m you would get 100dB (1m would be 106dB), @ 4m you would have 97db, by 32m you be 72dB. That's not that far of a distance, considering a football field is what around 100m?

mmm Physics.

I believe the limit at Teignmouth was 85db at a certain distance (that I don't know of) so that it didn't exceed a certain volume at the nearest houses.

All outdoor events will have a volume limit so it doesn't bother anyone living nearby too much.

As for how much it drops by over distance, low frequencies will travel much further than high frequencies, it's not a constant that applies to all sound. Unless we're talking about RMS here, which would make more sense.

Muse gigs aren't too loud, wouldn't necessarily require earplugs. My Bloody Valentine a couple of years ago though... :stunned:

The last show I went to (o2 arena) was pretty quiet and I was right at the barrier.

Marley Park was probably the loudest gig i've been to of theres I was in the D, the sound was perfect. Very beefy but never so loud that I wanted to cover my ears.

In my experience you won't need earplugs for thier gigs but perhaps you should invest in some just incase you have particularly sensitive ears.

Sorry, but how do you want to fully enjoy the gig with earplugs? :wtf:

If you wish to fully enjoy concerts 10 years from now....

...not to change topic, but I would be more worried about people and their headphones, like those whom you ride the subway/buss/tube with and can hear them from across the car.

Wish I had earplugs at Them Crooked Vultures the other week, that was ridiculously loud for such a small venue.

Sorry, but how do you want to fully enjoy the gig with earplugs? :wtf:

It doesn't make much difference actually. You still feel the bass exactly the same, just you don't go home with your ears ringing.

If you think not wearing earplugs makes you enjoy a gig more, then say goodbye to your hearing the moment you start going to louder shows.

If you wish to fully enjoy concerts 10 years from now....

...not to change topic, but I would be more worried about people and their headphones, like those whom you ride the subway/buss/tube with and can hear them from across the car.

Wish I had earplugs at Them Crooked Vultures the other week, that was ridiculously loud for such a small venue.

That's disappointing to hear about TCV. I like to hear the nuances in the music - I don't think you get that if they just go for loud but maybe I'm wrong. So far I have taken earplugs but haven't had to use them yet... though maybe should have when I was next to the speaker...:$

depends...if the sound is really loud...ear plugs will make it sound at a rate which wont leave you death....

if its low then people will just tell you your a queer for bringing ear plugs

Killed by Muse - I guess there are worse ways to go! :D I presume you mean Deaf ;)

.... I like to hear the nuances in the music - I don't think you get that if they just go for loud but maybe I'm wrong.

Loud and dynamic are two different things. I think your referring to the music being highly compressed, so all of it is loud.

The show/band sounded awesome, and you could definatley hear the dynamics/nuances.

Archived