This thread was a permanent fixture at and near the top of the "Other Muse Topics" forum for 2009, and now it's gone (and has been missing for two or three weeks now -- dating to around the server changeover). Can't someone dig into an archived save of the website and retrieve it? Lots of lolzers put a lot of time into those pics, and their efforts shouldn't be so easily discarded.

yes i'm afraid that to maintain a well performing environment posts have to be deleted from time to time. locked threads and old threads are removed. for a thread that is 10,000 posts long the logic is that no-one could really work through a thread that long and find substantial content it would be likely 90% or so of just chatting. I'm sorry about the inconvenience this has caused

Thanks for your response, kev, but I can't help but feel that this whole situation could've been handled better (and I say this as a Lolzer who bothered to save most of her Lolz pics in her Muse.mu personal-page galleries, so it's not as if I've permanently lost my own work -- just access to most of the other contributors'). OTTOMH:

1) a mod could've dropped a warning in the thread near its completion as to what would happen, and encourage contributors and fans to go ahead and save (in their private photo archives and/or their Muse page galleries) their favorite pics. Concomitantly, a set "grace period" could apply to such popular, high-volume threads (as opposed to the plethora of redundant threads that get blocked early on).

2) for that matter, any veteran of these boards and frequenter of the Lolz thread could've done the same, but no one did. Wankers. (But that's one reason why boards have designated mods -- someone needs to have a clear head, be responsible, maintain order, keep things running smoothly, etc.) FWIW, now that I'm one of those enlightened, seasoned Lolz vets, I'll be dropping my own cautionary warning now & again... a gesture that hopefully will be emulated by others in other, similarly popular threads.

3a) I feel strongly that the Lolz thread in particular has a great deal of enduring value and relevance to Muse.mu. First, there's the historical reporting aspect, if you will. A lot of the pics that get the lolz treatment are the Twitter pics submitted by the band themselves, no doubt with the Lolz thread in mind, among other things (like the Twitter comments). The Lolz thread is a humorous time-capsule of sorts in the making. Plus there's the humor aspect, which I find a refreshing break from other some forms of Muse worship and criticism, which tend to recycle the same impressions and grievances, over and over. TBH there's a lot of repetition of certain tropes in the Lolz thread too (i.e., Matt's short; Matt wears girly clothes; Dom/Matt eroticism; Chris as the straight man, etc. -- and I'm as guilty of using Muse stereotypes as anyone), but I still find most Lolz pics amusing enough, no matter how tired their central conceits may be.

3b) Maybe we Lolzers can work out a way to condense the thread as we go, by minimizing banter and especially the quote-posts, in which a person quotes preceding Lolz pics that they particularly like. If you find this amenable, you could initiate this new approach to the Lolz thread by dropping in and announcing this new compromise: the Lolz threads will be considered for a special protected status, so long as its participants enforce strict thread discipline (perhaps with a short list of the new guidelines ensconced in a header post that will pop up automatically each time a person accesses the thread). I think this would benefit the Lolz threads themselves immensely by cutting out the redundant posts, which are tiresome to deal with, however encouraging and flattering to contributors.

Would it make a significant difference if all new submissions were to be in the form of thumbnails? Thumbnails are tiresome to click on (and wait for), but I'd rather have a thumbnail-only Lolz thread that we get to keep, rather than the present situation.

Thanks in advance for your feedback, kev (or whatever mod may respond).

ON EDIT: with a mod's encouragement, and I think I speak for many of us Lolzers, if it would help sway opinion, we'd be willing to go back into the second (current) Lolz thread and retroactively edit/delete our own posts to preserve bandwidth. Just give us a chance to restyle our Lolzing, in order to earn a permanent-archive status...

Most of the lolz in that thread wouldn't have been hosted on the board anyway, just linked from photo accounts. You might want to set up a flickr account for hosting lolz if you want to keep them archived.

... and also if you're looking for one, you can try asking around, someone might know where it is :yesey:

yes i'm afraid that to maintain a well performing environment posts have to be deleted from time to time. locked threads and old threads are removed. for a thread that is 10,000 posts long the logic is that no-one could really work through a thread that long and find substantial content it would be likely 90% or so of just chatting. I'm sorry about the inconvenience this has caused

They should have saved any images they wanted on their pc anyway....

or set up their own site :awesome:

They should have saved any images they wanted on their pc anyway....

or set up their own site :awesome:

Like I already said, the Muse board doesn't host the images they would have posted...all the ones made are probably hosted in the photobucket/imageshack of whoever made them.

And I still say your best option if you want a massive archive is to store them on Flickr, it's a dedicated photo site.

Thanks for your response' date=' [b']kev[/b], but I can't help but feel that this whole situation could've been handled better (and I say this as a Lolzer who bothered to save most of her Lolz pics in her Muse.mu personal-page galleries, so it's not as if I've permanently lost my own work -- just access to most of the other contributors'). OTTOMH:

1) a mod could've dropped a warning in the thread near its completion as to what would happen, and encourage contributors and fans to go ahead and save (in their private photo archives and/or their Muse page galleries) their favorite pics. Concomitantly, a set "grace period" could apply to such popular, high-volume threads (as opposed to the plethora of redundant threads that get blocked early on).

2) for that matter, any veteran of these boards and frequenter of the Lolz thread could've done the same, but no one did. Wankers. (But that's one reason why boards have designated mods -- someone needs to have a clear head, be responsible, maintain order, keep things running smoothly, etc.) FWIW, now that I'm one of those enlightened, seasoned Lolz vets, I'll be dropping my own cautionary warning now & again... a gesture that hopefully will be emulated by others in other, similarly popular threads.

3a) I feel strongly that the Lolz thread in particular has a great deal of enduring value and relevance to Muse.mu. First, there's the historical reporting aspect, if you will. A lot of the pics that get the lolz treatment are the Twitter pics submitted by the band themselves, no doubt with the Lolz thread in mind, among other things (like the Twitter comments). The Lolz thread is a humorous time-capsule of sorts in the making. Plus there's the humor aspect, which I find a refreshing break from other some forms of Muse worship and criticism, which tend to recycle the same impressions and grievances, over and over. TBH there's a lot of repetition of certain tropes in the Lolz thread too (i.e., Matt's short; Matt wears girly clothes; Dom/Matt eroticism; Chris as the straight man, etc. -- and I'm as guilty of using Muse stereotypes as anyone), but I still find most Lolz pics amusing enough, no matter how tired their central conceits may be.

3b) Maybe we Lolzers can work out a way to condense the thread as we go, by minimizing banter and especially the quote-posts, in which a person quotes preceding Lolz pics that they particularly like. If you find this amenable, you could initiate this new approach to the Lolz thread by dropping in and announcing this new compromise: the Lolz threads will be considered for a special protected status, so long as its participants enforce strict thread discipline (perhaps with a short list of the new guidelines ensconced in a header post that will pop up automatically each time a person accesses the thread). I think this would benefit the Lolz threads themselves immensely by cutting out the redundant posts, which are tiresome to deal with, however encouraging and flattering to contributors.

Would it make a significant difference if all new submissions were to be in the form of thumbnails? Thumbnails are tiresome to click on (and wait for), but I'd rather have a thumbnail-only Lolz thread that we get to keep, rather than the present situation.

Thanks in advance for your feedback, kev (or whatever mod may respond).

ON EDIT: with a mod's encouragement, and I think I speak for many of us Lolzers, if it would help sway opinion, we'd be willing to go back into the second (current) Lolz thread and retroactively edit/delete our own posts to preserve bandwidth. Just give us a chance to restyle our Lolzing, in order to earn a permanent-archive status...

Seriously? :stunned:

That the reaction is OTT.

Well, maybe I was (a little), but you don't change the way things are done without raising a bit of a ruckus. Perhaps if you were a committed lolzer, you'd understand better what this is all about. Lolz humor is something that a minority of Musers are devoted to, and a lot of us put a lot of effort into it, so when a mod deletes all that work with a keystroke, it's going to ruffle a few feathers (and deservedly so, I think).

Considering all the old threads that could be deleted to save bandwidth, and the bandwidth-conservation measures I suggested in the OP, I still feel that deleting the first Lolz thread (there's currently a second one in progress in "Other Muse Topics") was a bad call.

Well, maybe I was (a little), but you don't change the way things are done without raising a bit of a ruckus. Perhaps if you were a committed lolzer, you'd understand better what this is all about. Lolz humor is something that a minority of Musers are devoted to, and a lot of us put a lot of effort into it, so when a mod deletes all that work with a keystroke, it's going to ruffle a few feathers (and deservedly so, I think).

Considering all the old threads that could be deleted to save bandwidth, and the bandwidth-conservation measures I suggested in the OP, I still feel that deleting the first Lolz thread (there's currently a second one in progress in "Other Muse Topics") was a bad call.

It's not just that thread that got deleted, we have to delete old and locked threads to save on the server load, or else there will be no server and thus no board!

The Flickr idea is a good one, if you all get Flickr accounts (which are free) you can upload your creations on there and save them all within a group, unfortunately we are unable to guarantee that anything posted on this board is 100% safe.

The Lolz thread was just a recycled caption thread after a while. I'm sure you won't see anyone who posted in that original thread when it was actually funny complaining :LOL: I don't see what the deal is anyway when it's been over 10,000 :erm: I've wanted to look at past gig threads but have found them to be deleted *shrug*

Like I already said, the Muse board doesn't host the images they would have posted...all the ones made are probably hosted in the photobucket/imageshack of whoever made them.

And I still say your best option if you want a massive archive is to store them on Flickr, it's a dedicated photo site.

Just as a note - most of the pics posted are hosted elsewhere, but the board hosts the ones that were attached to posts in the thread. If the thread gets deleted I would think those attachments would be gone?

But yeah, people shouldn't make a habit of attaching things to posts, especially if they want them to stick around. It's easy enough to get a photobucket or flickr acct, so people should just use those rather than taking up the board's space :)

I see what you mean Trilateral, I didn't know locked threads as epic as the lolz one got deleted quite so quickly. It would have been nice to have some warning, especially for all us noobs. It does seem a shame that it's gone.

Maybe a blog should be started or something. Didn't it all originate from livejournal anyway?

Archived