You're right in that I misunderstood the deletion trigger to be the 10' date='000 post mark rather than the locking per se. Let me rephrase this: to [b']kev[/b], would it make a difference if the Lolzers were to abandon posting to a thread prior to the 10,000 mark AND, if the mods were sympathetic (and don't assume the contrary to be the case), to not lock it... and, assuming a threshold of continuing read-only activity were maintained (by lolzers looking for particular pics and newbies just getting caught up) -- would that suffice to keep a Lolz thread active indefinitely?

As for reading comprehension, chizzle 2.0, I doubt you're familiar with the reaction by lolzers to the news that the first thread was deleted and I'm dubious about your claim -- asserted without any proof -- that 95% of them probably saved their pics. (It wouldn't surprise me if that percentage was closer to 5% than 95%. Maybe I should run a poll to try to ascertain a figure that isn't based 100% on speculation.)

What is clear is that a lot of people were taken by surprise and were taken aback, and probably hadn't saved their work as you outlined -- precisely because they weren't expecting the thread to just disappear like that (or at least, so soon after being locked). I don't recall any warnings to that effect in the thread, from either a mod or an experienced Muse.mu user. Many of us were using roflbot!!1! as our macro image generator, and on that site, at least, it's easy to post a lolz directly to a board thread without going through a permanent-save archiving step. In fact, that was my process -- just post everything to the Lolz thread, and retroactively save from the thread to my galleries. I suspect many users of roflbot at least, and maybe the other macro sites too (like icanhazcheezeburger.com) didn't bother with the latter, and ended up losing their pics.

It would make no difference at which point a thread was locked. As I have stated before, we cannot guarantee the safety of anything posted on here. If you want to keep things posted in threads, that's down to you to save them somewhere like Flickr, as I have previously suggested.

As there is nothing we can do about this thread as it's gone forever, as opposed to complaining about it, and thus something that none of us can do anything about, it would probably be best to think of a way of saving these, so that when this thread gets locked and deleted, you have them saved somewhere.

I'm not sure what is funnier, the seriousness given towards a thread titled "Lolz", or the juxtaposition of Trilateral_Symmetry_Comn's well written English with the silly childish "humour" largely contained within said thread. I certainly find the irony in here far more entertaining than a picture with the words "LOLZ Matt's farted Dommeh!1!!1" scrawled over it. But hey, each to their own, whatever amuses you! It certainly isn't worth preserving for "historical" reasons though. :LOL:

Thanks for your response' date=' I'm sorry, [b']kev[/b] -- I just assumed some mod had taken it upon him/herself to delete the thread -- because there was a time lag of several weeks, IIRC, between when it was locked by a mod (after reaching 10,000+ posts) and when it was finally deleted. It didn't seem like it was an automated process at work there.

FWIW, the original Lolz thread was going to be revisited at a respectable rate in the future. I wasn't the one who discovered it was deleted; another lolzer posted finding it apparently deleted in the second Lolz thread. (I'm just the one who launched this inquiry here.) Contributors periodically repost their older lolzes in response to the usual unpredictably weird Musey things as they arise; plus there's the newbies who checked out the old thread. At the time it was deleted, I had just started to comb through the whole thing from the very beginning, because I didn't want to unknowingly copy anyone else's jokes, and I'd only read the thread from around the 200-page mark or so the first time around.

Could we preserve a Lolz thread by getting you (or another mod) to lock it at, say, the 9000 post mark, or is that posting/modding in bad faith? Could you be persuaded to go along with this if the Lolz threads became self-policing to minimize duplicate (quote) posts and banter? And/or using thumbnail quotes instead of full-scale quote posts -- does that save a lot of bandwidth?

As for conducting all Lolzing through a social group, I can't see how that would work. Most newbies to the forum who might otherwise find and like the lolz thread might not readily locate the social group, for one thing. And wouldn't the memory capacity for a person's private page quickly be overwhelmed by the thousands of pics that would eventually pile up there?

I think it makes more sense to keep a Lolz thread going, but periodically remind its users to save their pics -- and if they do that offsite, to post links to facilitate others' access.

the process is triggered manually, at points when server performance is insatisfactory i have to undertake a number of tasks to improve it. these tasks involve culling old threads, removing locked threads and removing deleted threads. all of these are necessary for the server to be functioning fully on the current hardware. priority has to be geared towards catering for people using the board, anything else is secondary. The 10k part is irrelevant i'm afraid as just all locked threads last posted before the threshhold are removed.

quantities of pics themselves aren't a technical problem, nor is the size of pics posted. our scalability issues resolve entirely from entries in a database.

i think your best bet is to apply administration to the lolz thread by having someone archive what is needed for prosperity, i don't see how this can be done with a 10,000 post thread, thats just a bloated mass of data.

again i'm sorry this is a pain, it wasn't done with prejudice just met the deletion criteria and unfortunately we do not currently have a hardware configuration that is suitable for long term archiving of everything posted.

Again, thanks kev for your reply. It's nice having more insight into the board admin angle to this (I'd feared all along that it was the pics, with their data load, that was really pushing this issue), and it's better to have definite answers, even when it's not what you'd hope to hear.

I'll drop a note in the current Lolz thread to let them know.

It would make no difference at which point a thread was locked. As I have stated before, we cannot guarantee the safety of anything posted on here. If you want to keep things posted in threads, that's down to you to save them somewhere like Flickr, as I have previously suggested.

As there is nothing we can do about this thread as it's gone forever, as opposed to complaining about it, and thus something that none of us can do anything about, it would probably be best to think of a way of saving these, so that when this thread gets locked and deleted, you have them saved somewhere.

Zomg Blee, you are the smartest and coolest admin on teh board :awesome:

Archived