The Lolz thread was just a recycled caption thread after a while. I'm sure you won't see anyone who posted in that original thread when it was actually funny complaining :LOL: I don't see what the deal is anyway when it's been over 10,000 :erm: I've wanted to look at past gig threads but have found them to be deleted *shrug*

I used to post a lot in the original lolz thread and yeah you don't see me cry over spilled milk. Anyway all my pictures are saved in my Photobucket so I haven't lost anything. At the end of the day it is just a thread with (more or less) funny pictures not a shrine or some kind of legacy! :LOL:

I see what you mean Trilateral, I didn't know locked threads as epic as the lolz one got deleted quite so quickly. It would have been nice to have some warning, especially for all us noobs. It does seem a shame that it's gone.

Maybe a blog should be started or something. Didn't it all originate from livejournal anyway?

Thanks for your response. I think it did start on LJ; or at least there was one going on LJ several years before the first Lolz thread, IIRC (and if the LJ thread wasn't the start of it all, I'd like to see what preceded that!) I cycled through the LJ thread awhile back and then deleted the link on my favorites list, because although a lot of the pics were funny, the format was a bit of a PITA and by that time I'd discovered the LJ Muse lolz anyway. I think I found the LJ lolz through a link on the Muse lolz thread, but there's no way to check that now, is there?.

I'd much rather keep lolzing on Muse.mu rather than seek out the same on LJ or elsewhere; it's just so much easier, you know, to do all Musey activities on one or two sites than here, there and everywhere.

The problem I have with relying on Photobucket, etc. is that I doubt that in the long run these sites are necessarily all that more reliable (or reliably free) than any other site. They're businesses, and prone to either going out of business, being bought up and reorganized under new management, switching to a pay model, etc. (Cautionary tales: Hulu's transitioning to a paying model for access to their videos, and access to videos on YouTube is frequently blocked by copyright enforcers.) What I find all the time on Muse.mu are Photobucket links that have been closed down, with that annoying P-bucket logo saying that the account has been inactive for 90 days, etc. Another PITA for people to deal with. Apparently there's a lot of Muse fans out there who can't keep up with their P-bucket accounts and thus allow their photos to expire.

Plus, doesn't at least one of those major photo-hosting sites maintain that they own the legal rights to all pics and material posted (hosted for free) on it? Sorry, but I strongly disagree with that policy!

Congrats to those of you who have saved your Lolzes on a photo-hosting site, though. (So far, I've just relied on the Muse galleries for my pic saves.) But I respectfully disagree that you haven't lost anything with the deletion of the Lolz thread. You've lost access to almost everyone else's work. It's an extra step to access the lolzes by the minority that have their Lolzes organized in Photobucket (or the Muse.mu galleries), and that's providing they're even advertising the existence of these galleries with a link -- and virtually no one does that. OTTOMH, I can't recall a single Lolzer posting a link to an off-Muse.mu site caching their old lolzes. (And the link is crucial; even if someone casually mentions they've saved their pics on P-bucket, you're still left guessing what their name on that site is, and whether that gallery is open to the public, etc. How many of us are sufficiently motivated to go on a wild goose chase to find these lolzes? I'm not.)

Gee' date=' [b']L.[/b] , you disappoint me. If that Photoshopped pic honestly makes you laugh, you've got terrible taste. P-shopping does not equal Lolz, anyway (however many P-shopped pics end up in the lolz threads).

First I don't care if I disappoint you, second I never said that picture was lulz, third that was Olly's response to my post and yes his response made me laugh...

Plus' date=' doesn't at least one of those major photo-hosting sites [i']maintain that they own the legal rights to all pics and material posted [/i](hosted for free) on it? Sorry, but I strongly disagree with that policy!

Hate to be pedantic, but don't forget that by using other people's pictures in lolz you're possibly already breaking copyright. You're using someone else's property for your own benefit (lulz), and not once have I ever seen a credit to whoever took the photograph used in the lolz thread. If you want to be arsey about legal terms and all that. So by using photo hosting sites you're not really losing anything that's your own property.

Anyway, this is a message board. Much like 4chan, any threads that get locked or sink to the bottom get deleted. It conserves server space and allows the board to function as usual. The board isn't here to be your personal lolz archive.

The problem I have with relying on Photobucket, etc. is that I doubt that in the long run these sites are necessarily all that more reliable (or reliably free) than any other site. They're businesses, and prone to either going out of business, being bought up and reorganized under new management, switching to a pay model, etc. (Cautionary tales: Hulu's transitioning to a paying model for access to their videos, and access to videos on YouTube is frequently blocked by copyright enforcers.) What I find all the time on Muse.mu are Photobucket links that have been closed down, with that annoying P-bucket logo saying that the account has been inactive for 90 days, etc. Another PITA for people to deal with. Apparently there's a lot of Muse fans out there who can't keep up with their P-bucket accounts and thus allow their photos to expire.

(...)

Congrats to those of you who have saved your Lolzes on a photo-hosting site, though. (So far, I've just relied on the Muse galleries for my pic saves.) But I respectfully disagree that you haven't lost anything with the deletion of the Lolz thread. You've lost access to almost everyone else's work. It's an extra step to access the lolzes by the minority that have their Lolzes organized in Photobucket (or the Muse.mu galleries), and that's providing they're even advertising the existence of these galleries with a link -- and virtually no one does that. OTTOMH, I can't recall a single Lolzer posting a link to an off-Muse.mu site caching their old lolzes. (And the link is crucial; even if someone casually mentions they've saved their pics on P-bucket, you're still left guessing what their name on that site is, and whether that gallery is open to the public, etc. How many of us are sufficiently motivated to go on a wild goose chase to find these lolzes? I'm not.)

I think the point would be that if you like someone else's pic that much and want to be able to see/use it for future reference, you should save it rather than relying on them to keep it hosted somewhere that you'll be able to find later on. :)

You say you don't want to use an image hosting site because of the possibility of things shutting down/being deleted, but the same could happen to this board too. The server could crash tomorrow and the backup could be corrupted, causing all our posts to be lost. Or Matt could spend all the band's money on feathery coats and sunglasses and the band could go bankrupt, thus having to shut down the website forever. ;)

You can't really trust the board all that much more than photobucket - the only way to be sure you'll still have access to/be able to find things is to save them yourself.

I understand you're bothered that the thread was deleted, especially since you didn't know beforehand that this would happen but I don't know what anyone can do for that. What's done is done. People have suggested alternatives but you shoot them down - you want what you want, and that's fine, but it just so happens that what you want isn't available. So, what then...?

Gee' date=' [b']L.[/b] , you disappoint me. If that Photoshopped pic honestly makes you laugh, you've got terrible taste. P-shopping does not equal Lolz, anyway (however many P-shopped pics end up in the lolz threads).

Lolz. It's not just any lolz it's srs bsns lolz

sorry for the lack of warning, it was an automated process and not specific threads chosen. generally threads at the 10k mark and just not read (afterall who would even know where to start with a 10,000 post thread). you might find that a social group is better equipped for long term use of this thread because of the ability to upload images directly to it and have different threads? they're not something we have to cull for performance.

Thanks for your response, I'm sorry, kev -- I just assumed some mod had taken it upon him/herself to delete the thread -- because there was a time lag of several weeks, IIRC, between when it was locked by a mod (after reaching 10,000+ posts) and when it was finally deleted. It didn't seem like it was an automated process at work there.

FWIW, the original Lolz thread was going to be revisited at a respectable rate in the future. I wasn't the one who discovered it was deleted; another lolzer posted finding it apparently deleted in the second Lolz thread. (I'm just the one who launched this inquiry here.) Contributors periodically repost their older lolzes in response to the usual unpredictably weird Musey things as they arise; plus there's the newbies who checked out the old thread. At the time it was deleted, I had just started to comb through the whole thing from the very beginning, because I didn't want to unknowingly copy anyone else's jokes, and I'd only read the thread from around the 200-page mark or so the first time around.

Could we preserve a Lolz thread by getting you (or another mod) to lock it at, say, the 9000 post mark, or is that posting/modding in bad faith? Could you be persuaded to go along with this if the Lolz threads became self-policing to minimize duplicate (quote) posts and banter? And/or using thumbnail quotes instead of full-scale quote posts -- does that save a lot of bandwidth?

As for conducting all Lolzing through a social group, I can't see how that would work. Most newbies to the forum who might otherwise find and like the lolz thread might not readily locate the social group, for one thing. And wouldn't the memory capacity for a person's private page quickly be overwhelmed by the thousands of pics that would eventually pile up there?

I think it makes more sense to keep a Lolz thread going, but periodically remind its users to save their pics -- and if they do that offsite, to post links to facilitate others' access.

Thanks for your response' date=' I'm sorry, [b']kev[/b] -- I just assumed some mod had taken it upon him/herself to delete the thread -- because there was a time lag of several weeks, IIRC, between when it was locked by a mod (after reaching 10,000+ posts) and when it was finally deleted. It didn't seem like it was an automated process at work there.

FWIW, the original Lolz thread was going to be revisited at a respectable rate in the future. I wasn't the one who discovered it was deleted; another lolzer posted finding it apparently deleted in the second Lolz thread. (I'm just the one who launched this inquiry here.) Contributors periodically repost their older lolzes in response to the usual unpredictably weird Musey things as they arise; plus there's the newbies who checked out the old thread. At the time it was deleted, I had just started to comb through the whole thing from the very beginning, because I didn't want to unknowingly copy anyone else's jokes, and I'd only started reading the thread at around the 200-page mark or so.

Could we preserve a Lolz thread by getting you (or another mod) to lock it at, say, the 9000 post mark, or is that posting/modding in bad faith? Could you be persuaded to go along with this if the Lolz threads became self-policing to minimize duplicate (quote) posts and banter? And/or using thumbnail quotes instead of full-scale quote posts -- does that save a lot of bandwidth?

As for conducting all Lolzing through a social group, I can't see how that would work. Most newbies to the forum who might otherwise find and like the lolz thread might not readily locate the social group, for one thing. And wouldn't the memory capacity for a person's private page quickly be overwhelmed by the thousands of pics that would eventually pile up there?

I think it makes more sense to keep a Lolz thread going, but periodically remind its users to save their pics -- and if they do that offsite, to post links to facilitate others' access.

I don't think you've read back properly. 95% of the lolz posted would have been saved by the person who posted them, either on their own hard drive or in their own photo storage site. The board isn't here to be your personal archive, if the mods chose to keep your threads from being deleted they'd be inundated with requests to stop others from being deleted. The deletion process is automatic, ALL locked threads get deleted after a period of time, no matter how many posts have been made in them. If you really want your own archive then, as kev said, either use the social groups section, or USE A SITE LIKE PHOTOBUCKET OR FLICKR.

I don't think you've read back properly. 95% of the lolz posted would have been saved by the person who posted them, either on their own hard drive or in their own photo storage site. The board isn't here to be your personal archive, if the mods chose to keep your threads from being deleted they'd be inundated with requests to stop others from being deleted. The deletion process is automatic, ALL locked threads get deleted after a period of time, no matter how many posts have been made in them. If you really want your own archive then, as kev said, either use the social groups section, or USE A SITE LIKE PHOTOBUCKET OR FLICKR.

You're right in that I misunderstood the deletion trigger to be the 10,000 post mark rather than the locking per se. Let me rephrase this: to kev, would it make a difference if the Lolzers were to abandon posting to a thread prior to the 10,000 mark AND, if the mods were sympathetic (and don't assume the contrary to be the case), to not lock it... and, assuming a threshold of continuing read-only activity were maintained (by lolzers looking for particular pics and newbies just getting caught up) -- would that suffice to keep a Lolz thread active indefinitely?

As for reading comprehension, chizzle 2.0, I doubt you're familiar with the reaction by lolzers to the news that the first thread was deleted and I'm dubious about your claim -- asserted without any proof -- that 95% of them probably saved their pics. (It wouldn't surprise me if that percentage was closer to 5% than 95%. Maybe I should run a poll to try to ascertain a figure that isn't based 100% on speculation.)

What is clear is that a lot of people were taken by surprise and were taken aback, and probably hadn't saved their work as you outlined -- precisely because they weren't expecting the thread to just disappear like that (or at least, so soon after being locked). I don't recall any warnings to that effect in the thread, from either a mod or an experienced Muse.mu user. Many of us were using roflbot!!1! as our macro image generator, and on that site, at least, it's easy to post a lolz directly to a board thread without going through a permanent-save archiving step. In fact, that was my process -- just post everything to the Lolz thread, and retroactively save from the thread to my galleries. I suspect many users of roflbot at least, and maybe the other macro sites too (like icanhazcheezeburger.com) didn't bother with the latter, and ended up losing their pics.

Archived