Not no balls, just a lack of...ball-age. They know that MK Ultra is the heavier rock track that fans love but they also know that Resistance will make them more money and that it's probably the label's choice.

In the end, single is a promotional tool and the whole point of releasing it is not to please the hardcore fans, but to get airplay and attract more interest from the casual crowd/people who don't know your music.

Not no balls, just a lack of...ball-age. They know that MK Ultra is the heavier rock track that fans love but they also know that Resistance will make them more money and that it's probably the label's choice. Unfortunately new Muse go for the latter, old Muse I'm not so sure. :(

We all have our own perceptions of what motivates them but imo this isn't right because I think what they are doing currently may be more in line with who they are than some of the stuff they have done previously.

I listened to an interview on the making of OoS yesterday which was with John Leckie as well, and had the impression that it was John Leckie who encouraged them to go down avenues that they wouldn't necessarily chose themselves. And Matt didn't sound, to me, entirely comfortable with the result and I would imagine he was speaking during the OoS promotional period.

Though I'm obviously choosing quite a contrast speaking about OoS, Resistance is a song which incorporates sadness and hope and in that way, I think it may be more representative of Muse as they are now than some of the darker rocky tracks of the past were of who they were then. It's also experimental as it is bringing in a different style that they haven't done before.

So basically, I think they may just be choosing songs they like. And personally, I think it is harder for them to do it this way than releasing a rockier track that some of their internet fans like better which makes less of a break with their previous style. In the same way Undisclosed Desires wasn't an easy option. They may release MK next though.

In the end, single is a promotional tool and the whole point of releasing it is not to please the hardcore fans, but to get airplay and attract more interest from the casual crowd/people who don't know your music.

However I do also agree with this.

PS I can play this song on repeat (what I'm doing right now). It's moving and absolutely flipping gorgeous!

We all have our own perceptions of what motivates them but imo this isn't right because I think what they are doing currently may be more in line with who they are than some of the stuff they have done previously.

I listened to an interview on the making of OoS yesterday which was with John Leckie as well, and had the impression that it was John Leckie who encouraged them to go down avenues that they wouldn't necessarily chose themselves. And Matt didn't sound, to me, entirely comfortable with the result and I would imagine he was speaking during the OoS promotional period.

Also, Matt did say recently that The Resistance is the album they've always wanted to make. :yesey:

A thing I'm not too pleased with is the idea that the video may well be made up of performance footage. I can only hope then that it's edited in a cool and interesting way, like in the Butterflies and Hurricanes video, and that the reported filming of fans has something to do with casting the fans as "the Resistance" and tying it in with the song itself. That might be pretty cool.

I think Resistance could do well as a single. It's fairly radio-friendly, like the previous two singles, but probably a bit better at catching attention that they were. Uprising is a decent tune, but plods along without ever being very spectacular, and I find it kinda boring. Undisclosed Desires is slow-paced and never takes any unexpected turns. On the other hand, Resistance has verses and a prechorus/chorus that are very separate, as well as a big finale, and might be more likely to make people think "hey, that sounded pretty cool. I think I might buy it!" than songs that don't really do anything.

Just speculation, obviously.

Archived