:LOL: that'll never happen ;)

BUT I live in a 3rd floor apt, work on the third floor of a building where the bathroom is on the second floor.... i spend 90% of my life running up and down stairs, so my legs are strong and I should be able to brace myself well. I'm just short (5") so if I'm not at the front, not only will I not be able to see, but I may not be able to breathe if everyone is pushed in on top of me, so I'd have to retreat to the back/side.

EDIT:

first time at any gig ever, actually... i'm not really a "concert goer" but with these shows i decided screw it, i gotta try it, you only live once.

And yeah, I'm way too scared to go to Matt's side of the stage, as much as I'd like to be there, so I'll probably aim for middle to right....

I was on Matt's side the whole time in Vegas, and the only thing that kind of saved me is not being short. At 5'9"ish I'm not super tall, but I was able to get some air if I needed it. Unfortunately my short friend wasn't as lucky, but he survived and doesn't regret it either! It was our first concert as well.

:LOL: that'll never happen ;)

BUT I live in a 3rd floor apt, work on the third floor of a building where the bathroom is on the second floor.... i spend 90% of my life running up and down stairs, so my legs are strong and I should be able to brace myself well. I'm just short (5") so if I'm not at the front, not only will I not be able to see, but I may not be able to breathe if everyone is pushed in on top of me, so I'd have to retreat to the back/side.

EDIT:

first time at any gig ever, actually... i'm not really a "concert goer" but with these shows i decided screw it, i gotta try it, you only live once.

And yeah, I'm way too scared to go to Matt's side of the stage, as much as I'd like to be there, so I'll probably aim for middle to right....

if you can get to the rail it's ok on matt's side...i think the middle is worse...but you need the rail. when we were in lievin i got stuck two people back from the rail (in the middle area) and it felt like a mile from safety even though the stage was really close. things went mental...lisa got mashed...so at least at the barrier if you need to get out you're already right there and security is usually really helpful.

if you're at the front of the queue it should be easy enough to be over by teh bellamy :yesey:

Note to self :Find "danger" in the line asap:p

I really appreciate this thread kids. This is my first time in GA, and my first real Muse concert. I will take all the help I can get.

I'm pretty easy to spot. People always seem to remember the way I look. :LOL:

Me too, I can't believe I'm going in the pit for my first real concert.

Yeah, I mean, I did go to the U2/Muse gig with nosebleed seats, but it just wasn't the same sort of thing.

I'm going to two shows, so if I get pummelled/traumatized in DC, there may be a last minute GA ticket for MSG up for sale ;)

I was on Matt's side the whole time in Vegas, and the only thing that kind of saved me is not being short. At 5'9"ish I'm not super tall, but I was able to get some air if I needed it. Unfortunately my short friend wasn't as lucky, but he survived and doesn't regret it either! It was our first concert as well.

heh 5'9".... i wouldn't come up to your shoulder :(

I'm not too worried about the space or that sort of thing, tbh the thing i'm most worried about is idiots taking advantage of the close quarters to cop a feel... that's about the only thing I think I wouldn't be able to handle...

if you can get to the rail it's ok on matt's side...i think the middle is worse...but you need the rail. when we were in lievin i got stuck two people back from the rail (in the middle area) and it felt like a mile from safety even though the stage was really close. things went mental...lisa got mashed...so at least at the barrier if you need to get out you're already right there and security is usually really helpful.

if you're at the front of the queue it should be easy enough to be over by teh bellamy :yesey:

ah... good advice :shifty: if i could have anything i'd be on the barrier by Matt... and hopefully manage to make it home with at least a couple of my ribs in tact :$

That height is very much an advantage.

I'm only a little Mexican woman, but I ARE A MOMMY!!! I just tell them to fuck off in my best mommy voice and it seems to work wonders! I am small, but I can be mean, like a badger! :LOL:

:awesome:

I have my eyes going for me. I'm scary when I frown.

What about in the actual seats?

I tried so so hard to get floor seats but I couldn't. :(

I've never been to a stadium concert, so I was just wondering how it would be. :p

Will there still be people jumping around in the upper seats area? I was so looking forward to being in the pit and just going crazy with everyone else haha. :p

What about in the actual seats?

I tried so so hard to get floor seats but I couldn't. :(

I've never been to a stadium concert, so I was just wondering how it would be. :p

Will there still be people jumping around in the upper seats area? I was so looking forward to being in the pit and just going crazy with everyone else haha. :p

At a proper Muse gig, the seats can explode! Depends on the people around you. But if no else around you jumps around like a maniac, don't let that stop you!

A couple more important things:

If you have little kids, get tickets in the seats, preferably up front. If they can't see, they can stand on the seats, since everyone will (should!) be standing. And put ear protection on them! (Like this: http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/alnasoearpl.html)

It was horrifying to see parents dragging 6-7-8 yr olds into the pit at Wembley! It's dangerous for the child; plus, they won't enjoy the concert at all.

NO LINE CROWDING! If you are holding spaces for friends, it is common courtesy to let the people behind you know. And one person holding space for a dozen just is not cool. As some have said, if you want to be on the barrier, you need to be prepared to line up all day. One or two at a time can go for food or loo breaks. I have seen people have one person in line all day, then think that all their friends will join them right before doors open.

Important corrolary to "DON'T BE A DICK": don't show up late to a show and then try to push your way to the barrier! 'Nuff said.

Can't agree with this part, lol. For me alcohol is an absolute must if I'm going to have soaking wet strangers packed against me like that. That doesn't mean I overdrink and act like a dick or puke on anyone. Just means I'm more equiped to particpate in the fun pit stuff and tolerate the bad pit stuff.

And yes there's risk of dehydration - and I have an absolutely crazy personal story about dehydration I won't share right now - but I usually limit the full-contact pit stuff to about an hour or less. I try to get in and get out. I've never tried to endure 5 or 6 hours of it.

To me the worst part is just standing for too long. Sore feet, sore legs, sore back - do not like. But in my experience the rough stuff mostly only happens up close to the stage. The other 75% of the fans in GA have a reasonable amount of personal space and can escape for a break when necessary.

Huge difference between having some alcohol, and drunk. If you are drunk, get out of the pit!

You must have been in some rather benign GA sections, if 75% of people had personal space! That has not been my experience at all.

Also: there is a place to put bags? My phone is a bit of a brick.

Some gigs have coat/bag check areas, some don't. And expect to wait in line for ages after the gig to reclaim your items. If you plan to get up front on the barrier, you won't be able to leave to go check your stuff. Or get merch. Or pee.

Try a very small bag with a long strap you can wear over one shoulder and across your abdomen, you can keep your stuff away from pickpockets. Roya came up with the idea of a camera case at the Vegas gig, worked like a charm and has little pockets for cash, key, phone, chapstick, granola bar. Just stuff your camera into your jeans pocket.

I've had many rotten experiences caused by jerks behind me who wanted to sit down. Happens at football games too a lot and I have a tough time dealing with it....Being first row in the balcony of an arena concert ...what if everyone in my section is sitting down and I'm perceived as the bozo who's standing up for no good reason. But that's what I'll do because sitting in a rock concert is LAME! :LOL:

We have the same problem at Seattle Sounders games. We real fans stand thru the entire game! People can get peeved, but oh well. At a post-season reception event for season ticket holders (thankfully all 25,000 didn't show up!) the coach specifically said how it energized the team that the fans stood thru the whole game! Same thing for a band: can you imagine how it would feel to be Muse and look out and see everyone calmly sitting in their seats????

You might want to warn the people behind you that you will be standing.

this thread makes me smile... i'm an older fan than most on this board, and just as exuberant, but the truth is, i've been there, done that in the early 90's (it was fun having eddie vedder of pearl jam stage dive onto you and helping to catch him). ...at the electric factory shows, i hung back a bit; got seats at msg last time (this time too) and at the u2 giant's stadium shows, i was 3 deep in the pit but it was a u2 crowd so no pushing...

can't wait for these gigs (going to msg & philly) and will be happy in my seats as long as we're close enough... if i can't score good seats for philly, we may opt for ga (there is ALWAYS a way to get ga's closer to the day of the show) and just stand back a bit from the stage....

it's going to be great fun!!!!

Plenty of us "Older Muse Fans" like the pit! The Electric Factory show had the most incredible surge I have seen at a Muse gig; I was in the balcony with 2 friends who can't do GA (one has severe osteoporosis, the other has had a kidney transplant!) and was in fear for my son's wellbeing!

But Madison Square Garden was the most civilized pit ever! I was on the barrier between Dom and Chris; no pushing, we had an envelope of personal space. It was so benign that I went to the loo between acts and came back to my barrier spot with no hassle! Very unexpected for NYC.

You also have a young body. After so many gigs, when you become older, your body becomes somewhat calloused to handling rougher gigs that you barely even bruise anymore.

Older? You're what, 22??:LOL: Just wait until you're even older, you bruise more but who cares? It's worth it!

Question, is crowd surfing the only way to get out of the pit? My first pit experience was in 04 at a green day show and my father was my protection and carried me out of there. Other than that I've never had to get out.

I have a friend coming with me and I have a feeling she'll be wanting to get out of the pit. Any other ways of getting out? This feels like a really dumb question :LOL:

If you really have to get out, just let the people who need to move a bit to let you pass know that you are leaving, not trying to take their space. Just yell "Coming thru" or "gotta get out!" and they usually will make room for you to squeeze thru. It's usually easier to move parallel to the stage, toward the side, but head toward the back if that's the closest way out.

I am really happy you started this thread because now I know I made the right choice in getting seats. I thought about getting GA, but the thought of being in such a tight crowd scares me shitless! Especially because I tend to faint when I stand for too long and I tend to panic in crowds :$ I also want to go there for the music and not so much for the action in the pit. I will enjoy wathcing the pit more than being in it ;)

So thanks a lot, I feel much reassured! :D

The whole idea is to enjoy the show. Some like the pit, some would rather be in seats. Don't let anyone make you feel like a wuss for taking seats (people will, you know), what's the point of being in the pit if you aren't enjoying the show?

Oh...and when everyone jumps...FUCKING JUMP WITH THEM!!!

They usually jump to the rhythm of the music. The experience of being in the middle of hundreds of people jumping at the same time is just :awesome:

It is also less painful if you jump along. :LOL:

Amen! Jump in rhythm with everyone else! It's hazardous to have someone coming down as you're going up, elbows tend to clobber the other person!

Hmmmm. Well, last night, I went to the show in Seattle to watch Muse. My friend and I were at the barrier and we were getting pushed and crunched up against the barrier wall. Cool, was totally expecting that. Had a MAJOR death grip with my entire body on the barrier. Then this girl next to me comes up and slowly tries to pry me off with her elbow then her legs. She was trying to crawl in front of me basically. Then I saw her tell her family to shove toward me to squeeze me out of my spot (I only had half of my body on the barrier at the time). Eventually, as soon as Muse started actually, I was fully pried off. Then, she started working on my friend and tried to move her.....honestly I don't know what her problem was. She was like "I miss a whole day of school for this...so I should get best seats in the house." Can't wait to see her living on the side of the street instead of getting a proper education. :LOL:

Was this something normal? Or something rude?

RUDE to the max! Someone that rude deserves whatever they get: elbows and knees to sensitive areas, a shoe to the groin, whatever. I am a very peaceful person, but that kind of behavior really ticks me off. (I have been on the receiving end of it before too, had to be pulled out of a pit because I just could not enjoy the concert).

The worst thing is, she got what she wanted, your spot up front. Kind of like giving in to a 2-yr-old's tantrum, just reinforces the behavior so she will do it again and again.

I'm willing to be nasty with my elbows to defend my place, but I'm worried it could cause me even more trouble.

But don't elbow people if they're being forced onto you.

Too true. Usually it's easy to tell the difference; people pushed onto you typically apologize! So if you are pushed into people, tell them you're sorry!

I'll be alone... that's part of what scares me... and i'm not that big. So, i'll make an effort to get to the barrier, and if I can't, I'll be standing (hiding, even) aaaaaallllllll the way at the back trying not to get killed! ;)

You don't have to go all the way back. My magic spot is about a third of the way back, in front of Chris, if I can't get right down front.

no line crowding! if you are holding spaces for friends, it is common courtesy to let the people behind you know. And one person holding space for a dozen just is not cool. As some have said, if you want to be on the barrier, you need to be prepared to line up all day. One or two at a time can go for food or loo breaks. I have seen people have one person in line all day, then think that all their friends will join them right before doors open.

THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Please.

Ah this gets me so psyched about seeing Muse :awesome:

Except I'm gonna be at Big Day Out, on Australia Day, which means tons of drunk bogans. Though hopefully they won't be in the pit for Muse...

My friend and I who are going haven't been in a rough pit before so thaanks, this thread really helps :happy:

Which reminds me, if you are on the rail, make nice with security directly in front of you. They will definitely look out for you and prevent this sort of thing. Some security dudes are super sweet!

Agreed. I was at The Presets with my friend, and her older sister knows some of the security guards at the venue we were at, and so she told them ahead of time about us and asked them to look after us. So my friend introduced herself to them and throughout the gig they kept giving us bottles of water and checked up on us often. Really helped a lot. :)

RUDE to the max! Someone that rude deserves whatever they get: elbows and knees to sensitive areas, a shoe to the groin, whatever. I am a very peaceful person, but that kind of behavior really ticks me off. (I have been on the receiving end of it before too, had to be pulled out of a pit because I just could not enjoy the concert).

The worst thing is, she got what she wanted, your spot up front. Kind of like giving in to a 2-yr-old's tantrum, just reinforces the behavior so she will do it again and again.

Thanks for that! I know to be a little more agressive next spring. Hopefully I won't see that girl again. :mad:

I'm only a little Mexican woman, but I ARE A MOMMY!!! I just tell them to fuck off in my best mommy voice and it seems to work wonders! I am small, but I can be mean, like a badger! :LOL:

I'm afraid of Mexican moms more than anything. I would totally be afraid of you! :LOL: