Knights of Cydonia Discussion Thread

Tokamak

Do you like Knights of Cydonia?  

864 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Knights of Cydonia?

• Yes
    • No

anyone remember this post from matt a while back?

'the 6/8 cycling monster has turned out truly gargantuan, it will have to end the album'

yeah think that 6/8 cycling monster will be take a bow... and listen to the piano interlude... its 6/8... and matt said theyre gonna use it on the new album... maybe this could be the intro of take a bow with piano, synthies and strings...

Piano Interlude (Clicky)

I'm not liking the intro at all. Is he just "oohh" at the start because he has no lyrics for that part yet, or is that the actual song? Because it goes on for far too long. I just like the bit where he sings the bit "You are not going to take me alive" or whatever it is. The return of apperigios make me happy though. It made me look foward to to the new album abit more now though.

The Telstar motif is a nice homage, yeah. :) Though to be truthful that was not the first thing which leaped out at me. I'm not familiar with Misirlou, I'm afraid :).

Misirlou is an instrumental from the Pulp Fiction movie soundtrack..the guitar sounds familiar halfway through KOC.

I'm absolutely loving Knights of Cydonia and Super Massive Black Hole... I'm in halls of residence of uni at the moment during exam time.. so they won't let me play it nice and loud like it should be :mad: .. can't wait for next week, when exams are over my speakers are going right up to 11 !!!!!! :D :D :D

OK im left with a delema now, I really wanna listen to this song but i get the feeling thats its gonna ruin it for me, Its like when you find the Christmas presants before christmas and you dont wanna open it cause you'll ruin the surprise, What should I do? :(

OK im left with a delema now, I really wanna listen to this song but i get the feeling thats its gonna ruin it for me, Its like when you find the Christmas presants before christmas and you dont wanna open it cause you'll ruin the surprise, What should I do? :(

Be glad that you've had enough self-control till now and let it be...I couldn't help but immideatlely listen to the song and I regret it (not because I don't like it, but because I will have listened to it already 500 times when buying the album).

Ennit!

My mum said if i keep talking about how amazing Knights of cydonia is she`ll lock me in a cupboard and wont take me to leeds festival:mad: biatch...Its alright for her to blast hysteria in the car tho all the fuckin time, but i cant really complain its better than Will Young

see i have hysteria and will young :p

The best moment is definitively at 3m05 s until 4m30s

This 1m30 s thingy alone is worth buying the album

hell yeah!:D :D :D :D

Wow thats intense!

hell yeah!:D :D :D :D

I couldn't help but immideatlely listen to the song and I regret it (not because I don't like it, but because I will have listened to it already 500 times when buying the album).

Yeah! :( Me too!

HOWEVER - We still have lots more songs to look forward to. If I recieved them all at once, I wouldnt be able to appreciate them all fully....If you know what I mean. There would be too many for my brain to comprehend.

By having the live version, It makes me want the album so much more.

:happy:

Misirlou is an instrumental from the Pulp Fiction movie soundtrack..the guitar sounds familiar halfway through KOC.

Miserlou was USED in Pulp Fiction, but it is a tune by Dick Dale and the Deltones from 1962, as I alluded to in an earlier post. Here's the scoop:

Dick Dale and the Del-Tones popularized "Miserlou" in 1962. Recently, the Pulp Fiction soundtrack introduced another generation to the tune. In fact, though, "Miserlou" is a Greek folk tune from long ago. Dale's '62 version largely defined the surf sound. He played it on Fender outboard spring reverb tank (along with a classic Stratocaster through a 1961 Showman setup). The original folk tune has lyrics, but--as you surely must know--surf music does *not* have lyrics! In "Miserlou" Dale limited his vocals to shouting "Hya!" and the like a few times.

Dick Dale doublepicked "Miserlou" left-handed, on upside-down strings, at blinding speed. The original thus has about four times as many notes as you see here. (Dick Dale apparently learned to speed-pick from his Lebanese uncle, who played an oud with a turkey quill.)

The popular '62 version of "Miserlou" sometimes *sounds* a semi-tone higher than it appears here, especially in the lower ranges. StratoCossack attributes tuning and/or recording flukes to the '62 version, however. Later recordings and observations at live performances bear out the approach set forth here, which resolves in E and puts exactly two octaves between the first and second guitar passages. If you really must mimic the '62 sound, trying bumping up the first guitar passage, on the low E string, by a semi-tone. One Predator suggests picking between the bridge and pickup. At any rate, use heavy strings and a fire-proof pick.

(Source: http://www.tomwbell.com/Music/Miserlou.html)

Way back in the 70's, my boyfriend's brother played 2nd guitar for Dale, so I know what I'm talking about! And yes, I am THAT old!!

Been listening to this a few times today wondering where the trumpet's going to fit into the studio version.

I am happy for it to go anywhere it likes as long as Matt's vocals from 1.30 onwards are maintained. Those screams are insanely fantastic. Listening to it on my iPod makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

Archived