John Paul Jones kaoss Manson lapsteel Manson

musecasters

I don't like the look of that thing... would like to see how he uses it though!

Isn't the second guitar player in this vid the one from Eagles?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO68H8j6qU4

Well, the second guitar player is Alain Johannes, who did some stuff with EoDM, but he's not one of the main members of EoDM. I saw Them Crooked Vultures and Eagles of Death Metal at Reading Festival, they were incredible!

• 3 months later...

He talks about Hugh Manson in this interview

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/john_paul_jones_i_couldnt_see_how_we_could_not_happen.html

What were some of the basses you played?

They’re all made by Hugh Manson; Manson guitars. Uhh, yeah the four-string bass is normal but it’s a Manson; 10-string bass on “Gunman” which is like a five-string bass with double strings, octave strings like a 12-string guitar type of idea. From low E to high C. The bass on “Daffodils” is a 12-string from low B to high C; a bass mandolin on “Elephants” which is tuned in fifths like a mandolin – G to E again with sort of 12-string type octave strings. The 10- and 12-string basses are in stereo so the neck pickup goes to the bass rig and the bridge pickup goes to a Bad Cat guitar rig. So it gives a very wide sound. What else am I using? I use a Yamaha bass; one of Josh’s many obscure Japanese guitars that he has.

• 11 months later...

I am ridiculously sorry to bump a ridiculously old thread.

I've just got into TCV, new favourite band. JPJ's lapsteel is wierd but, very cool IMHO.

One thing I wonder is; what does he use the XY for? I don't hear any use for it. The only thing I would have thought of is the filter on Interlude with Ludes, but he uses a flippin keytar on that.

Does anyone else know?

Archived