Do you not like The Resistance?  

488 members have voted

1. 1. Do you not like The Resistance?

i haven't listened to the clips yet as it's too hard to know what the rest of the song will be like. i heard a clip of TIRO before it was released and i thought it sounded good. shows how wrong an idea a clip can give you. :LOL:

and i have a fear that matt will be singing 'you are my guiding light' (which makes me think of Ash shining light every time). i have to hear the whole song before that line comes out...

Haha it's cool. If I saw that mass of text I wouldn't read it either.

JUST PLAY SAFE Y'HEAR?

Well, I for one appreciated seeing giant masses of text deconstructing some of the more questionable trains of thought appearing in this thread. So I read it all with gusto. :happy: Well done.

A. Muse have self-produced this album. It is the only one of their albums to date which is entirely free of corporate meddling. It is the only time they have been allowed to put exactly what they want on the album, without a producer rushing them to deadlines and trimming bits they think are excessive. So the entire basis of this bloke's argument is a moot point.

That's somehow more disappointing than corporate meddling.

B. Squeeze all the grit and quirk out of them? Er, what? We've only got the samples, but as far as I can tell so far, this album is even more diverse than Black Holes and Revelations. United States of Eurasia features a chorus of Matt Bellamies shouting "SIA!" repeatedly. Matt insists that they are shouting in protest at the banking situation in Uprising, which also has a sci-fi intro and rebels against the government. ...WHAT?!

Just because they aren't making nearly as interesting music anymore doesn't mean they can't find several ways for it to be not be interesting, whether it be the lame synth intro of Uprising that sounds like a TV show theme or the Queen-copying of United States of Eurasia. And faux-rebelliousness in music? Please, even Green Day can write those sort of lyrics better than Matt now, it's embarassing.

C. Does your friend have absolutely no concept of development and growth? I mean he's championing the complexity of their "early work" - whether that's the rather standard britrock of Showbiz, or Origin of Symmetry which is a lovely album but it didn't exactly reinvent the wheel - and apparently saying a 13-minute-long orchestral prog epic is a step backwards? What?!?

He's not championing Muse's early work; he hates them. He was just commenting on a trend he'd noticed in a lot of mainstream music which is alarmingly true. In any case, the 13 minute long prog epic was started years ago, and probably won't fit in very well with the rest of the album, which WILL be a step backwards for them. Though they were already making the first tiptoes with BH&R.

Orchestras =/= progression

Haha I kinda hoped I wouldn't really have to follow up that post but I guess it's a bit inevitable really. Here goes...

That's somehow more disappointing than corporate meddling.
You haven't heard the album.

Just because they aren't making nearly as interesting music anymore

Please, even Green Day can write those sort of lyrics better than Matt now, it's embarassing.

He's not championing Muse's early work; he hates them.
Hey, "early work" was his words. Which he then compared to an album... an album that he hasn't heard. And nor have you.

probably won't fit in very well with the rest of the album

which WILL be a step backwards for them.
You haven't heard-- oh I give up.

Er, actual points wise, I'm not convinced I understand everything you said ("Just because they aren't making nearly as interesting music anymore doesn't mean they can find several ways for it to be not be interesting" - what?!), but I'll give it a shot. I'm repeating some bits of that mammoth post from the previous page (which I'm really glad so many people dig btw, thanks for sitting through my guffstorm dudes!), but you've taken the time to respond to me so I'll give you the same courtesy!

Just because they aren't making nearly as interesting music anymore doesn't mean they can find several ways for it to be not be interesting. Whether it be the lame synth intro of Uprising that sounds like a TV show theme or the Queen-copying of United States of Eurasia.
I think you're trying to say that they're the interesting bits? Your call if you don't like the synth intro to Uprising, I think it's pretty nifty myself, but the Queen-copying is HUGELY exaggerated. It lasts for a matter of SECONDS. In a five minute piece. If they're the only thing you can find to pick on, why are you letting them get in the way? And if they're interesting bits, i.e. you find them interesting, why do you even care that it's a ripoff? Truth be told I'm not even convinced that I've fully understood exactly what you've written but whatever.

Again, I'm repeating myself here, but you cannot have formed an opinion with any substance beyond a kneejerk reaction about this album yet. It's impossible, you can hazard a guess but you're talking with maniacal conviction about an album you haven't heard. Although, by this point it seems like you're so certain it's rubbish that you won't LET yourself like it, and will just pick holes in it. A bit sad if you ask me but hey, not my life. That said, I'm sorry but I'm not gonna respond again, as I think you've already written the album off, and I do have other things to do with my time. Like sleeping, dear god it's late. Sorry I've gone on a bit! Again. Seriously someone get me away from this thread, it's absorbing my face or something.

The music industry is mired in the mediocrity of over produced, cookie-cutter, unimaginative, so called music(I won't name names).This, for me, is the reason I came to love muse.They're lyricly brilliant, epic, and ever progressive music is so different it's refreshing to put it mildly.If you ask me they're just continuing what they have always done, be different.

Take for example some of they're song that are back-to-back on they're albums and how staggeringly different they are:

Take bow & Starlight

Yes Please & Map of your head

Showbiz & Unintended

That's just to name a few.But that's muse and they wouldn't be muse if they did the same old thing like all the other bands do.I don't want to hear another OoS come out, even as much as I love that album.So let's step back and examine the facts.We've heard 2 full songs and some 30 second snip- its.Is that all it takes for you to cast them to the wolves, or maybe we should give them the benefit of the doubt and wait to hear the whole album. After all muse has an amazing track-record. So as true fans I think we owe them a little more faith.

I imagine a scene in a studio, from the recording of BHaR.

There are two Warner agents standing in front of sitting Bellamy who is chained to a chair.

The agents:

- Put in some falsetto there!

- That sounds too soft, grab yer guitar and put something heavy in there!

- That is what you call rock? We won't release your album until it is not heavy enough!

- Enough with the synth bullshit, that song needs some classical influences.

etc. etc.

Now "Resi" is a self produced album and they let their wildest pop fantasies to take over. I thought it will happen in the opposite way.

Archived