Muse popularity waining?

pauljoecoe

I bought 2 tickets for O2 london on 3rd April and have been trying to sell them as I have since booked a holiday. Now advertised at a big loss but still can't get rid. There are loads of below face value tickets available of Stub Hub. Have Muse peaked. No one wants to see them!!!!!

Edited by pauljoecoe

I think a lot of people look at the setlists and feel that the Drones Tour does not reflect the material all that well combined with the general frustration of "if I go to this show, and I went to the last tour, I'm going to be seeing 9 of the same songs in a 16/17 song set". If I weren't a die hard fan, I would definitely have skipped this cycle and waited for more songs to be played or some songs to be phased out. It's just not good value to be honest. If they were looking at the board or various fan reactions before the European tour started, they saw a lot of (completely justified) negativity.

What really frustrates me is that if they're playing to a repeat audience, why not mix things up? If they're playing to an audience that has no intention of returning, why cater to them?

That being said, their ticket sales are generally great in Europe. Look at how many of them are sold out.

http://i.imgur.com/7XMHYvw.png

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

It likely has nothing to do with negativity surrounding the setlists in the slightest. How many people actually actively follow that, anyways? If someone was a big enough fan to keep up with that, they were a big enough fan to get tickets when they went onsale, and everyone still thought the gigs would be great.

Besides, it's not like the majority of the non-US setlists have been bad in the first place. Just super, super short.

It's just a terrible time to be trying to sell them as more standing tickets just went onsale, and last I checked the gigs hadn't completely sold out yet.

People are more likely to buy from a direct source than someone on the net that they don't know personally.

Also, scalpers really fucked over a lot of the gigs, even in the US, as they bought more tickets than there appeared to be demand for on the secondary market, and have had to start selling below face value.

I think it's just a combination of:

- 5 nights in London alone (usually only do 2 tmk)

- 360 stage allows for more tickets to go on sale per gig

- Expensive prices

- Few, if any, major UK hits on the last album and the one currently being toured (possibly fading out of mainstream relevancy)

- Album and tour marketed as hard rock and concept-heavy, could turn off casual audiences

- Decent amount of older, dedicated fans with the means and passion to go to multiple shows have been pushed away after TR and T2L

A couple of those points sound like I'm catastrophising a bit :chuckle: I'm not, I promise. Just calling out possibilities.

Gotta say, I don't think current setlists necessarily come into it much. Judging from social media and my own personal experience at gigs, the majority of people don't seem to be aware of what they're playing before going in. Though I guess you could argue that's maybe because the people who do check aren't buying tickets.

Interesting views. By the way I meant to say Now advertised at a loss not Not.

Anyway, I do think they have overestimated the interest in these shows (certainly in London).

It's annoying as I struggled to get tickets for other shows and have missed Muse gigs in the past as decent priced tickets weren't available but there are some bargains out there this time.

Anyway, I do think they have overestimated the interest in these shows (certainly in London).

It's annoying as I struggled to get tickets for other shows and have missed Muse gigs in the past as decent priced tickets weren't available but there are some bargains out there this time.

Nah i don't think so, those 5 London shows equal to 1 Wembley gig (15 x 5 = 75k ~). UK problem might be that they did so many gigs in the past few years they run out of casual fans :LOL:

Seriously, though. People bought tickets in the upper tier. Sales were doing just fine, but like I said, scalpers over purchased and are ruining the resale market.

And again, once extra tickets go onsale, selling yours get very difficult.

There's definitely a risk of buying (or selling) tickets unofficially; and Musebay probably isn't working as well because few people really post here anymore. The popularity of the forum has probably waned more. :chuckle:

Nah i don't think so, those 5 London shows equal to 1 Wembley gig (15 x 5 = 75k ~). UK problem might be that they did so many gigs in the past few years they run out of casual fans :LOL:

I think that with the stage set up it's more than 15k also I think it would be instant sell out if they released all those tickets when they announced the gig. I don't think that many people even know that there are additional tickets now

I think that with the stage set up it's more than 15k also I think it would be instant sell out if they released all those tickets when they announced the gig. I don't think that many people even know that there are additional tickets now

I was looking at wiki and the maximum capacity this tour was Boston with 16k, dont know know much bigger the O2 but lets say 18k every night equals to pretty much 1 Wembley gig when they managed to sell out 2 (160k ~) or 2 Emirates (120k ~).

Probably just casual fans think it's too expensive to buy tickets while stadium shows were cheaper, don't think the 360 stage is a problem either.

It might well be the case that its easier to sell out one stadium gig than 4/5 arena dates, even with the capacity being the same, and even more of a challenge when extra waves of tickets are put out. There's no real one factor - it might be the case the list Jobby mentioned of multiple bits is the start of it. Its not entirely a demonstration they have waned, though - they're still doing 11 shows in the UK, plus headlining Glastonbury. So its not like they're now struggling to sell out a show at Brixton or the Hammersmith Apollo.

I will say my initial thought was parusal of second hand for a ticket was the plan before deciding to buy one when released anyway. Though if I decide a second one of the London residency is to be done, that might be pursued.

Edited by forevermusic

Don't think that's the main reason, more they are putting on multiple dates in each city more than ever to help pay for the tour, it's not cheap! I still think most venues will be mostly full when they come to town!

I hope they can add a song or two to the set lists on the UK leg, usually we see the biggest most interesting sets on the home gigs!

They have 2 weeks to think about the set now...