Best Produced Muse Album

TheLionSlicer

Which Muse album has the best production?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which Muse album has the best production?

• Showbiz
    • Origin of Symmetry
    • Absolution
    • Black Holes & Revelations
    • The Resistance
    • The 2nd Law
    • Drones

If I was to choose another album's production for Abso and BH&R, I think it'd be Drones.

T2L is the crispest and clearest but sounds way too clean as a result imo, takes almost all the beef out of it. Drones suffers from loudness at times but I think it's the best of both worlds.

People choosing Drones? That shit needs to go through the whole mixing and mastering process again, sounds incredibly uncomfortable in some places (especially Mercy). Personally I think BHaR has a pretty good production.

Oh the irony.

In general I think the Drones production is pretty bad. I'm ok with losing a little beef if it means it sounds like T2L

My biggest Drones complaint though is the crackling guitars, especially on Defector and Mercy. That's the result of either overcompression or recording so loud the equipment is peaking so you get a really unnatural distortion sound. I don't know enough about production to know which one it is but god damn it sounds bad

In general I think the Drones production is pretty bad. I'm ok with losing a little beef if it means it sounds like T2L

My biggest Drones complaint though is the crackling guitars, especially on Defector and Mercy. That's the result of either overcompression or recording so loud the equipment is peaking so you get a really unnatural distortion sound. I don't know enough about production to know which one it is but god damn it sounds bad

I think it's safe to say with the amount of experience of the people that worked on Drones that they didn't inadvertently clip the recordings

Am confused what crackling you're talking about?

People choosing Drones? That shit needs to go through the whole mixing and mastering process again, sounds incredibly uncomfortable in some places (especially Mercy). Personally I think BHaR has a pretty good production.

Really? Both aren't great. Survival is how all Muse songs should sound in my opinion, whether that be a good thing or not I'm not too sure :LOL:

Really? Both aren't great. Survival is how all Muse songs should sound in my opinion, whether that be a good thing or not I'm not too sure :LOL:

Really? I reckon it might've sounded decent at the mix stage but the final mastered track I've heard just doesn't really have the dynamic range, so when all the guitars kick in doesn't feel quite as oomph as it should

I think it's safe to say with the amount of experience of the people that worked on Drones that they didn't inadvertently clip the recordings

Am confused what crackling you're talking about?

Well you'd think that an experienced production team wouldn't let that happen but Rush's 2002 album had both of those problems. Plenty of albums from the mid 2000's have this problem. You can really hear it on Defector, there's some crunchiness there that isn't the guitar distortion. You can hear it in the Psycho verses sometimes and it's pretty present in the Mercy chorus. It's a production style that pushes loudness above everything else and it causes problems like that.

I'd like to add that Muse thanked Rick Rubin for teaching them how not to produce. They were going to work with him on TR but ended up self producing. Rick Rubin did most of the Chili Pepper's albums and Death Magnetic by Metallica. They all have that guitar clipping problem.

Edited by TheLionSlicer

99.99999999999% of listeners don't notice and/or care though so is it really an issue?
99.99999999% of listeners who know of the issue somehow notice it everywhere. Almost as if Placebo is more than just the name of a band with a guy singing from his nose.

It's a production style that pushes loudness above everything else and it causes problems like that.

Exactly. The question is... why people in the music industry value loudness over quality? ...and why Muse do the same?

Everybody cite Death Maginetic as the prime example of the loudness war, but was a problem before and after that.

Exactly. The question is... why people in the music industry value loudness over quality? ...and why Muse do the same?

Everybody cite Death Maginetic as the prime example of the loudness war, but was a problem before and after that.

I'd imagine it's because music fidelity decreased with the move to digital, and dynamics go out the window on most commercial records in order to make it 'stand out' more on shitty radio band compression. That's one reason I've read.

I'd love to hear BH&R given the T2L treatment.

Only issue with T2L is the heavy section just aren't quite heavy enough for my taste. The Survival riffs get close, but I'd just like that extra 10% b33f.

BH&R would benefit. I could see Abso and Origin benefitting from a less extreme version of the production used on Alien by Strapping Young Lad. Alternately claustrophobic, then massive and spacious.

Californication has some painful moments in that regard