I like Defector a lot musically. Lyrically it's not so great and the prechorus section is just kinda weird. It'll take some getting used to.

But no matter how much I like these songs, I'm never gonna get over the production. Fuck Mutt. Seriously, I can barely handle actual clipping in songs. It's ridiculous that people think it's okay that modern albums sound like ass. It's apparent in every song except Dead Inside where I don't think I've noticed it. Fuck...

defector is great. its on my nonstop listen atm which is the past 20 minutes.... :)

This album def tops TR and T2L easily, however I love all of Muse work so I cant even order albums....

BTW: What is all this clipping business? Am I deaf?

I like Defector a lot musically. Lyrically it's not so great and the prechorus section is just kinda weird. It'll take some getting used to.

But no matter how much I like these songs, I'm never gonna get over the production. Fuck Mutt. Seriously, I can barely handle actual clipping in songs. It's ridiculous that people think it's okay that modern albums sound like ass. It's apparent in every song except Dead Inside where I don't think I've noticed it. Fuck...

You make it sound like 99% of people are aware of and can hear audible distortion due to clipping. No matter how bad audiophiles make clipping seem, it's not as obvious as mixing problems and it certainly doesn't make music unlistenable.

Gave the album a full listen today and I've changed my mind slightly. Aftermath is actually awesome. Oh and Defector is growing on me now.

Revolt and Drones are still awful though.

Globalist is... I still don't know.

defector is great. its on my nonstop listen atm which is the past 20 minutes.... :)

This album def tops TR and T2L easily, however I love all of Muse work so I cant even order albums....

BTW: What is all this clipping business? Am I deaf?

Clipping is basically pushing the volume levels for everything to be too loud, and it causes audible distortion to the track you have while also cutting off the high and low frequencies. The "loudness" brick walls the track as well so it's more difficult to hear sonic subtleties.

Clipping is basically pushing the volume levels for everything to be too loud, and it causes audible distortion to the track you have while also cutting off the high and low frequencies. The "loudness" brick walls the track as well so it's more difficult to hear sonic subtleties.

I don't really know much about audio, but is 1.48 in Drones clipping or just shit editing (where the tenor voice suddenly spikes in volume in the middle of a line)

How much is Download broadcast these days? I know Sky Arts show bits from it, so we should get at least a few songs pro shot, right?

They'll likely play 2-3 songs on Sky Arts yeah.

From watching it previously, they tend to pick the worst songs, too :LOL:

wow defector is not really rolling in the deep much

I hate do this already at my first post

are we allowed to talk about songs that have been leaked?

Yep. As long as you don't post the leak you can talk about anything

You make it sound like 99% of people are aware of and can hear audible distortion due to clipping. No matter how bad audiophiles make clipping seem, it's not as obvious as mixing problems and it certainly doesn't make music unlistenable.

I probably made it out to seem worse than it was. Muse has avoided seriously bad audio problems up until this album so maybe it's just really disappointing. It's even more disappointing considering how much I like the songs. Like why couldn't T2L have gotten this production haha

It's great that the band focused on all the right influences on this album: RATM, Queen, and Pink Floyd. Can't fault them for experimenting with other styles in T2L but to me these are the sounds which have always worked best for them. I really like The Handler: it's classic RATM-inspired and dark brooding Muse, sounding like it was pulled straight from Absolution. The only tracks I dislike are Mercy (not into that soft rock/cookie-cutter vibe) and Drones (worst album closer ever?)

OoS = Absolution = BHaR > TR > Drones > T2L = Showbiz

Yep. As long as you don't post the leak you can talk about anything

aye thanks

I still don't get the shitting on revolt though :D

I defector is actually my least favourite of the entire album so far

aftermath sounds really cheesy but it is still okay

well let's hope my hype for the globalist will not be disapointed

if it is I will set fire to the rain

It's great that the band focused on all the right influences on this album: RATM, Queen, and Pink Floyd. Can't fault them for experimenting with other styles in T2L but to me these are the sounds which have always worked best for them. I really like The Handler: it's classic RATM-inspired and dark brooding Muse, sounding like it was pulled straight from Absolution. The only tracks I dislike are Mercy (not into that soft rock/cookie-cutter vibe) and Drones (worst album closer ever?)

OoS = Absolution = BHaR > TR > Drones > T2L = Showbiz

exactly what I think

and not only since I was 21

Yesterday I would say the album was a 6/10. Now I say it is 8.5/10. Revolt and Mercy still the weakest tracks. Mercy is good, not great. Revolt no longer makes me want to vomit. Either I am desensitized to it or it has grown on me slightly. It is now perfectly tolerable mixed with the rest of the album.

The surprise hit is Aftermath. Love it!

Origin > Absolution > Black Holes > Drones > The Resistance > Showbiz > The 2nd Law