Blatant homage to RATM? It is?

Listen to Reapers, then listen to Freedom by RatM. You'll hear it.

Stop articulating what I want to say in a clear manner :(

Say it first, then :p My brother and I have disagreed a lot over this album, so my arguments are very well-rehearsed.

Ah right, thought you meant The Handler. Yeah I agree. Mind you, what about the outro to Micro Cuts, Dead Star, Agitated, etc.?

Those songs clearly bear Rage's influence, but there it's integrated into a sound which is entirely Muse's. You wouldn't say Micro Cuts or Dead Star are just them "doing an RatM".

Listen to Reapers, then listen to Freedom by RatM. You'll hear it.

To be fair, loads of old Muse songs were heavily influenced by RATM. Hyper Music is pretty much the same riff as Snakecharmer, just with some slight variation

To be fair, loads of old Muse songs were heavily influenced by RATM. Hyper Music is pretty much the same riff as Snakecharmer, just with some slight variation

My point is more that you don't listen to it and just think they're doing a homage, any more than you hear Wake Up and think Rage are just doing a lazy Led Zep tribute. Both Wake Up and Hyper Music are potent enough on their own that the idea doesn't even spring to mind. Whereas The Handler doesn't seem to really earn that breakdown, it seems rather tacked-on to me.

My point is more that you don't listen to it and just think they're doing a homage, any more than you hear Wake Up and think Rage are just doing a lazy Led Zep tribute. Both Wake Up and Hyper Music are potent enough on their own that the idea doesn't even spring to mind. Whereas The Handler doesn't seem to really earn that breakdown, it seems rather tacked-on to me.

I feel that way with Reapers, not The Handler though

Reapers is still the one I, I guess oddly, feel like it sounds like "Muse" the least. Maybe the tapping stuff.

The Handler just sounds like more "classic" Muse, to me, with one seriously unnecessarily long guitar bridge (which is a bit "un-Muse.")

I think I liked it better when the guitar "solos" just followed the vocal melodies...

Reapers is like a Space Dementia for guitar. It's to say, a track where Matt goes nuts in playing one of his two main instruments, citing a lot of influences and attaching a mind-blowing outro.

Oh come on, it's nowhere near as weird or potent as Space Dementia, or Fury for that matter (just because two songs sound like they could be from the same album, doesn't mean they're on a par- witness the many, many latter-day Sepultura and Soulfly songs which sound like they could have been from Roots or Chaos AD). SD still sounds weird 14 years later, The Handler sounds like Muse deep in their comfort zone, running on autopilot. I'm not saying it doesn't sound at all like them.

Edited by Alec.

My overall argument was about the album itself, but the last couple of pages have veered between The Handler and Reapers after my stumble earlier.

Fair enough. Although The Handler may be Muse in their comfort zone, it is pretty much what I love about Muse. It's the sound that got me into them in the first place so I have no problems with that. I certainly don't feel that they are back to their best with the rest of the album but I do enjoy it.

Oh come on, it's nowhere near as weird or potent as Space Dementia, or Fury for that matter (just because two songs sound like they could be from the same album, doesn't mean they're on a par- witness the many, many latter-day Sepultura and Soulfly songs which sound like they could have been from Roots or Chaos AD). SD still sounds weird 14 years later, The Handler sounds like Muse deep in their comfort zone, running on autopilot. I'm not saying it doesn't sound at all like them.

I believe Reapers is weird enough to fit the comparison, though. It may have a different "power voltage" but the similarities are there.

And I've said nothing about The Handler.

Just listened to absolution front to back for the first time in a long time. Drones has nothing on that album. Something happened after Black Holes & Revelations. Something has been missing since then.

Yup. Mojo's still gone.

That said, recent concerts have looked a lot better than the last two tours, so there's some positivity connected to the release of Drones, in addition to it being the best of the last three albums.