Revolt's lyrics don't even suit Revolt, so I guess it works?

I love the way the song sounds, I even like the verses lyrics - but the chorus lyrics remind me of something your guidance councilor would tell you to shut you up.

The chorus lyrics are one of the best parts <3 I can be a sucker for cheesy feel-good shit sometimes though, it's similar to why I like Starlight and Invincible.

If I'm honest I can't think of anything about Revolt that I don't like.

The chorus lyrics are one of the best parts <3 I can be a sucker for cheesy feel-good shit sometimes though, it's similar to why I like Starlight and Invincible.

If I'm honest I can't think of anything about Revolt that I don't like.

I love Revolt, and I like Defector - but as time has gone on, the motivational-poster platitudes have gotten on my nerves.

I'm okay with feel good shit once in while, but millionaires vaguely telling me that everything will be awesome if I just try hard enough has always irked me.

I mean, it's just pandering to the intended audience...

I love Revolt, and I like Defector - but as time has gone on, the motivational-poster platitudes have gotten on my nerves.

I'm okay with feel good shit once in while, but millionaires vaguely telling me that everything will be awesome if I just try hard enough has always irked me.

I mean, it's just pandering to the intended audience...

I don't think money is really an important factor, millionaires can still feel like shit sometimes. I essentially just interpret Revolt as saying "Yo, bro, things can be shit sometimes but you'll be alright" which is pretty effective 'cause then the silliness and outrageously upbeat vibe make me feel ridiculously happy.

I don't think money is really an important factor, millionaires can still feel like shit sometimes. I essentially just interpret Revolt as saying "Yo, bro, things can be shit sometimes but you'll be alright" which is pretty effective 'cause then the silliness and outrageously upbeat vibe make me feel ridiculously happy.
But that's the thing. Things won't always be alright. The only reason they'll always be alright to some is because they are privileged or just have loads of money.

And in this case it's basically "Just fight for what you believe and everything will be alright". Nah, most likely you'll just be shut down, and if you're in a scenario like the one in Drones, you'll probably be shot or arrested.

But that's the thing. Things won't always be alright. The only reason they'll always be alright to some is because they are privileged or just have loads of money.

And in this case it's basically "Just fight for what you believe and everything will be alright". Nah, most likely you'll just be shut down, and if you're in a scenario like the one in Drones, you'll probably be shot or arrested.

:doobie:

I'm talking from more about feeling shitty from a purely emotional stand-point though, as opposed to oppression or other struggles. Obviously then it could be kinda patronising, especially from privileged people. I get that's what the lyrics are literally talking about but, I dunno, I just get something else from it.

Things won't necessarily always be okay, but sometimes it's nice to be told that they will :chuckle:

I'm talking from more about feeling shitty from a purely emotional stand-point though, as opposed to oppression or other struggles. Obviously then it could be kinda patronising, especially from privileged people. I get that's what the lyrics are literally talking about but, I dunno, I just get something else from it.

Things won't necessarily always be okay, but sometimes it's nice to be told that they will :chuckle:

Well at least we're on the same page. Time for bed. 12 hour work day weekend ahead of me.

Unfortunately, I've come to equate it with things like Unnatural Selection, which came off as an embarrassing amount of pandering, saying that only "lucky" people make it in life.

Like the boys in Muse haven't been very, VERY lucky.

Or, more recently, things like Bellamy - upon being challenged on a comment about how he hopes his technologically advanced guitars will get kids interested in music again, and the interviewer pointing out that the guitars cost a fortune - Bellamy replying "I would tell them to do what I did: find a craftsman, and design your own guitar."

When did he get that first guitar, anyways?

I mean, I'm not a moron, money and fame doesn't fix everything - using music examples, look at that poor bastard from Breaking Benjamin - but it's probably statistically a bit easier to live "free of society" when you're swimming in cash and power. Just a bit.

And Matt's clearly talking about societal ills in those couple of songs, as they reference society, and our "toxic" world - so less about emotional problems, unfortunately.

I just noticed that lyric video for Mercy is not on youtube anymore, wonder why?

I have a cynical answer, but it probably breaks the rules, and I'm aware I've had several too many BuzzBallz this afternoon... :chuckle:

It's a damn shame, if true, as that lyric video is the best thing they've done this album cycle.

I have a cynical answer, but it probably breaks the rules, and I'm aware I've had several too many BuzzBallz this afternoon... :chuckle:

It's a damn shame, if true, as that lyric video is the best thing they've done this album cycle.

I don't even really like the Mercy lyric vid.

And Matt's clearly talking about societal ills in those couple of songs, as they reference society, and our "toxic" world - so less about emotional problems, unfortunately.

I think it could be referring to both, doing that whole 'talking about bigger issues but with more simple/personal undertones' thing that Matt likes to do.

The whole 'toxic jungle' and 'oppression persisting' stuff could double-up as basically saying "people can be fucked up sometimes/people will always try and bring you down".

I realise I sound like a 9 year-old kid with some of this stuff but, damn it, sometimes I like the simple stuff :$

I realise I sound like a 9 year-old kid with some of this stuff but, damn it, sometimes I like the simple stuff :$

It's no worse than sounding like a cynical old lady, is it? :chuckle:

When I first listened to the album, and after reading the articles and watching the interviews, I was REALLY emotionally invested in the album. Like, Absolution level.

But, it quickly turned to this sort of "I'm falling for rich people pandering to people JUST LIKE ME in order to make money... when they clearly don't believe in any of this."

I feel like a kid who was too invested in what's essentially a commercial product, and a tad embarrassed.

(... and like I'm still checking up on them online for some reason... just to see how they're doing...)

Now I'm just wishing someone could resuscitate my love. :(

But after Revolt we have Aftermath: doesn't that song talk about a disillusioned and crumbling world, despite all the talk about love and such?

Thus, it isn't a campy final where everything's alright and full of peace and love.

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

It's no worse than sounding like a cynical old lady, is it? :chuckle:

When I first listened to the album, and after reading the articles and watching the interviews, I was REALLY emotionally invested in the album. Like, Absolution level.

But, it quickly turned to this sort of "I'm falling for rich people pandering to people JUST LIKE ME in order to make money... when they clearly don't believe in any of this."

I feel like a kid who was too invested in what's essentially a commercial product, and a tad embarrassed.

(... and like I'm still checking up on them online for some reason... just to see how they're doing...)

Now I'm just wishing someone could resuscitate my love. :(

Just think they're simply trying to narrate a story. Arts can't kindle political revolutions, remember that. At most, they could only express their course, which isn't Muse' case.

The main thing making me want to still listen to them is that they're skillful musicians (despite of Matt being is a hilariously average lyricist now) and I don't think Drones was so heavily advertised outside praising articles and reviews.

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

But after Revolt we have Aftermath: doesn't that song talk about a disillusioned and crumbling world, despite all the talk about love and such?

Thus, it isn't a campy final where everything's alright and full of peace and love.

"From this moment you will never be alone, we're bound together, now and forever, the loneliness has gone"