Back from holiday now! Hoorah! XD

What do you all think are the hardest Muse songs to drum to? I am going to record a few demos at home this weekend that I can bring back up to college to show my skill level.

Assassin and Knights are the hardest.

Stockholm's relatively easy just lots of tom hitting makes it sound impressive and 'hard'.

In terms of skill level, KOC for the doubles on the single kick and assassin for THAT fill!

There are others that are quite tricky to master, but they're the main ones.

This is my first post here and I joined because I am a huge Muse fan and an even bigger Dom fan. Anyways, i really love his set-up and I have 2 crashes a ride hi hats and am currently using a 14" aax crash as a splash... Anyways, I am going to cut down the aax to an 11" or 12". I was wondering what splash I should get to get a sound like his. Also, what do you guys think of the oriental classic china? I know he uses the china trash but I can't stand it

The oriental china is great! It's REALLY explosive and fits in really well with the 18" and 19" A Customs. :D

Well, you have the following to beat:

(My Stockholm Syndrome Video)

(My Assassin Video)

(My Assassin GOB Video)

Haha....he can try! ;):cool:

:LOL:

(DISCLAIMER - only joking - i do not wish to bring on 'drumming rivalry')

I already had a vid of SS but it's gone since my old youtube account was deleted. I had a whole mess of muse guitar covers too.

WOAH...WHY! :stunned:

What did you have uploaded that was 'bad'?

I hope mine doesnt get deleted! haha That would be catastrophic! lol

i agree really nice use of the active synths. this is not that bad

Athankingyaw :happy:

Stockholm Video

Twas good - but quite a few minor mistakes throughout

Remember that during the tom verses, the first and third snare hits are flams

And it may also be beneficial to get some form of in-ear monitors or a big-ass PA system! That way you'll be able to hear the music you're playing along to better, and not slip out of time. :)

But yeah overall pretty good. :)

I've gotta say though--you've got an awkward technique. When you hit the snare, you don't let the stick rebound and you rest the stick on the head. I'm not sure what that does to the sound but it's not that big of a deal, I think.

That can also prove to be quite bad for your wrists :$

Try to use your fingers a bit more :)

Oh yeah, on a different subject, my new favorite song to play is Ruled By Secrecy. I played through it for the first few times today and I friggin' love it! Haha. The ghost notes and the triplets (or whatever they are) on the ride are fun.

RBS is brilliant. And the ghost notes are on the snare not the ride </picky> but yeah I know what you mean the ghost notes are cool.

And a really explosive piano solo! Corrrr :cool:

Im probs gonna do that and Newborn next (will try and record them before I go back to uni next week) *fingers crossed*

Nice job! :p

Besides the syncing going all crazy, I caught a few mistakes, but nothing too bad. :happy:

I've gotta say though--you've got an awkward technique. :p When you hit the snare, you don't let the stick rebound and you rest the stick on the head. I'm not sure what that does to the sound but it's not that big of a deal, I think.

Nice set btw. Didn't you say you had a Tama Superstar? :)

Oh yeah, on a different subject, my new favorite song to play is Ruled By Secrecy. I played through it for the first few times today and I friggin' love it! Haha. The ghost notes and the triplets (or whatever they are) on the ride are fun.

Hahaha, yea, I only did one take so I'll have to do a better one when I go home again. I'm not digging the stick into the snare though - although it certainly does look like it from the video! I hit the snare and it rebounds, but I just let it fall back to rest on the snare so I don't have to hold it :p

And yes, I have a Tama Superstar.

Assassin and Knights are the hardest.

Stockholm's relatively easy just lots of tom hitting makes it sound impressive and 'hard'.

In terms of skill level, KOC for the doubles on the single kick and assassin for THAT fill!

There are others that are quite tricky to master, but they're the main ones.

Twas good - but quite a few minor mistakes throughout

Remember that during the tom verses, the first and third snare hits are flams

And it may also be beneficial to get some form of in-ear monitors or a big-ass PA system! That way you'll be able to hear the music you're playing along to better, and not slip out of time. :)

But yeah overall pretty good. :)

That can also prove to be quite bad for your wrists :$

Try to use your fingers a bit more :)

Yea, thats what I figured - I did KOC, but something seems to be wrong with Windows movie maker - whenever I try to record a song more than about 5 minutes, parts of it slow down, and then speed up. The first 2 1/2 minutes of Koc were good, but then it speeds up and messes the whole sync up! Thats what happened to SS as well, but to a little lesser degree...

Flams...gotta remember that! I just learned it by ear when I heard it on the radio a few years ago and old habits die hard I guess!

I have Shure SCL3's, but they are hard to see thanks to the youtube quality :D

I'll have to find a song with some quick RRLL's or something, show a close up of my sticking. It does look atrocious from that video though!

EDIT: Check out this drum duel I did a while back, see if you recognize the drumming in the beginning!

kRGxg6vFfeY

Yea, thats what I figured - I did KOC, but something seems to be wrong with Windows movie maker - whenever I try to record a song more than about 5 minutes, parts of it slow down, and then speed up. The first 2 1/2 minutes of Koc were good, but then it speeds up and messes the whole sync up! Thats what happened to SS as well, but to a little lesser degree...

Aaahh!

Good ole WMM

Nah - you want adobe premier! ;)

EDIT: Check out this drum duel I did a while back, see if you recognize the drumming in the beginning!

kRGxg6vFfeY

Which one is you? Im assuming the one on the left?

I recognise Citizen and Hysteria so far...

Twas pretty cool!

Aaahh!

Good ole WMM

Nah - you want adobe premier! ;)

Which one is you? Im assuming the one on the left?

I recognise Citizen and Hysteria so far...

Twas pretty cool!

Alright, I gotta go get a copy of that...WMM just isn't working well...

I'm the one on the right with the black drumset. And yes, we started out with the opening beat from Hysteria hahaha

oh excellent! Was good! Tho your config is different! :p

2 up 2 down is it?

Thats what I want - am on the look out for a cheap (under £60) 18" floor tom - dont care what make or colour as long as its in good condition! ;)

Who were you playing against?

WOAH...WHY! :stunned:

What did you have uploaded that was 'bad'?

I hope mine doesnt get deleted! haha That would be catastrophic! lol

RBS is brilliant. And the ghost notes are on the snare not the ride </picky> but yeah I know what you mean the ghost notes are cool.

And a really explosive piano solo! Corrrr :cool:

Im probs gonna do that and Newborn next (will try and record them before I go back to uni next week) *fingers crossed*

I had some House M.D. clips and a Coldplay vid up. It was stupid because the House vids that I put up were already available through IGN.com, legally. :rolleyes: Nothing about the muse covers though. I did have about 20, though. :(

And Ruled By Secrecy--I did mean the snare. :happy: I meant ghost notes on the snare, and the triplet stuff of sorts on the ride, or whatever it is. :LOL:

Anyway, looking forward to the vids. :p

edit: New cover. Sucks. Haha.

Apocalypse Please

AODD07ryRIc

18 inch floor tom?! wtf :D

that would be huge wouldnt it :(

Hmm

Well my kit is

Hi tom - 12"

Mid tom - 13"

Snare - 14"

Floor - 16"

So i was guessing next one up would be 17" but thats a gay size so 18"....but yeah thats massive! haha :LOL:

so....

hmm....

get a 14" tom and put it between my mid and floor tom??

Thus giving me:

12"

13"

14"

16"

and 14" snare

having 2 drums the same size?? :confused:

oh excellent! Was good! Tho your config is different! :p

2 up 2 down is it?

Thats what I want - am on the look out for a cheap (under £60) 18" floor tom - dont care what make or colour as long as its in good condition! ;)

Who were you playing against?

Yes, my set is 12,13,14,16, 22 with a 13" snare (at that concert I was using a 14" snare).

2 up 2 down is nice, but my 13" tom is just deep enough so that I have to tilt it too much for me to be able to play it. So now I have a one up two down setup (12", 14", 16") and I love it. I can move the ride in a little closer and it makes playing that much easier.

And I would say go for a 14" tom. It doesn't matter if its the same size as a snare, they have completely different tonal qualities and ranges. 14" toms are easier to tune than a 18", you can still go deep with them, rolls down the toms sound even (2" difference each), and they're cheaper!

Whats the sticking for the verse in SS?

Trying to figure it out on videos but it's to fast....

Flam, RLRLR, Flam RLRL the first time, then Flam, RLRL from then on I think. Thats what it lookss like in the tab at least.

adam mate, it doesn't matter that you'd have two 14" drums. they'd sound nothing like each other as one's a snare like. :)

yeah of course!

bit of a n00b moment there!

14" it shall be! :D

Now i need to find a black one with both heads on it for under £50 inc delivery!

:D

And Stockholm, written, is:

R floor

L floor

R floor

B bass

F snare flam

R floor

L snare

R floor

L hi

R floor

B bass

F snare flam

YouTube hates me.

I got one strike against my account for copyright infringement after uploading that one clip of Matt when he was 12. :stunned: Yet, the other 5 clips of the same thing uploaded by other people are still there. Gr.

Anyway, I got my cymbal stand today, and it's the sturdiest piece of equipment I've got ATM. :happy: It was only $35. :) It doesn't wobble like all my other stands... -_-

I would record Knights of Cydonia and such but I've got a whole mess of coursework. Bleh.

YouTube hates me.

I got one strike against my account for copyright infringement after uploading that one clip of Matt when he was 12. :stunned: Yet, the other 5 clips of the same thing uploaded by other people are still there. Gr.

WHAT! :eek:

Did they email you and tell you that?

12? :stunned:

:confused:

Whats the most fun song to play on the drums...

Fun? Erm...Stockholm, Knights and Assassin

but only assassin for the crazy bits - the rest is quite boring.

Also space dementia and cave are good...

And whats easier: B&H or SS?

SS

as thats played the same each time, yet in B+H theres slight improvised variations ;)