I guess I figured the "fool me 2 times, can't possibly be a third can it" got me hard with this album. You can blame it on unrealistic expectations if you must but really they stuck with that "raw rock album" promise FAR later into this album cycle than they have in the past. Usually it's a brief mention very early one time and then nothing after that. This one went pretty deep especially with Psycho launching first featuring an ancient Muse riff.

It was a message to the old fans saying buckle up for the singles because the album will deliver.

It was a message to the old fans saying buckle up for the singles because the album will deliver.

"Buckle up because this is the only old Muse you're getting. You're getting more U2 and Queen tributes and you'll like it!" lol. nah I kid. Like I said, I know I'll still like the album. It's new Muse after all. I'm not someone who throws a new Muse album in the trash on first listen and goes back to OoS.

I guess I figured the "fool me 2 times, can't possibly be a third can it" got me hard with this album. You can blame it on unrealistic expectations if you must but really they stuck with that "raw rock album" promise FAR later into this album cycle than they have in the past. Usually it's a brief mention very early one time and then nothing after that. This one went pretty deep especially with Psycho launching first featuring an ancient Muse riff.

Look mate, do you want some frenchcries to go with your waaaaaamburger?

Assuming that was a reference to Linkin Park, I thought it was a really good album tbh. Best thing they've done in many years

I don't even know tbh There are days when I kinda like it...but overall it just seems a bunch of mediocre songs badly mixed

Assuming that was a reference to Linkin Park, I thought it was a really good album tbh. Best thing they've done in many years

Their previous two albums were more interesting to me than that. They even got Tom Morello to play on a track and it sucked. Their only good albums are Hybrid Theory, Meteora, and A Thousand Suns. If anything Drones is going to sound like ATS because i see some similarities already.

Their previous two albums were more interesting to me than that. They even got Tom Morello to play on a track and it sucked. Their only good albums are Hybrid Theory, Meteora, and A Thousand Suns. If anything Drones is going to sound like ATS because i see some similarities already.

Similarities? Examples please

EDIT: Apart the fact that the JFK concept made me remember Wisdom, Justice and Love

No one here can honestly tell me with a straight face back pre DI release that they were expecting an album where half the songs are poppy.

Honestly I didn't expect 100% raw dark rock album, because they've never done that before, so why would they do it with Drones? Muse's "roots" aren't only moody proggy heavy songs, so I don't know why some people are so surprised and upset with what we've got so far.

But also I didn't expect that the first official single (DI) will be a bit poppy, I thought that they will release something more rock-y first, and something soft later.

But also I didn't expect that the first official single (DI) will be a bit poppy, I thought that they will release something more rock-y first, and something soft later.

The impact tho...everyone felt it for sure

When I first heard the Mercy bootleg I thought it was dogshit...then when I heard the studio I thought it was a slight improvement.

I would've had that as the only time a Muse song has sounded better on a record. But then we got that proshot of it on Saturday and to be honest it was pretty incredible.

I think a better example is Dead Inside. I think it sounds bland live but great in the studio.

Oh and finally - I have to admit that on first hearing Psycho and the classic 0305030 riff I did get my hopes up for a raw rock album. Then I heard DI...but I actually really dug it which surprised me!

I still have a bit of optimism about Drones. It can't be worse than T2L!

Honestly I didn't expect 100% raw dark rock album, because they've never done that before, so why would they do it with Drones? Muse's "roots" aren't only moody proggy heavy songs, so I don't know why some people are so surprised and upset with what we've got so far.

Yeah but I was thinking we'd get the reverse of what we got in the past. Normally its 2 or 3 songs for the OoS purist Muse fans and 8 pop rock or full blown pop songs. The inverse of that is not an unrealistic expectation given what was said.

Similarities? Examples please

EDIT: Apart the fact that the JFK concept made me remember Wisdom, Justice and Love

Just the vibes really. I don't think we'll have production that's quite the same at all of course but the song you mentioned plus a couple others on there might be similar to how I picture Aftermath and Revolt sounding on the record

My god the whining is unbearable.

People that think I'm actually whining or actually pissed are hilarious lol. I already said I'm going to like the album like I always do with new Muse. The reason I even brought it up in my original post was to remind people of the mindset they were in from late 2013 until pre Dead Inside. It was quite a different feeling to what it is now.

Just the vibes really. I don't think we'll have production that's quite the same at all of course but the song you mentioned plus a couple others on there might be similar to how I picture Aftermath and Revolt sounding on the record

Maybe Iridiscent or Burning In The Skies...I think these two would fit on Drones, musically only

Does anyone remember back after they played Yes Please/Agitated live, Matt saying that's what the new album is going to sound like? And sounding serious about it, not the typical Matt is fucking around take it with a grain of salt.

I remember being really, REALLY terrified that that was going to be a reality. Which I'm sure I bitched about repeatedly.

I was so happy to hear DI (especially after Reapers) I could have shat myself.

One of the best songs they've done in a long time, and at least I can look forward to some of the songs not being as agonizingly dated as stuff like YP/Agitated, or clichéd "classic rock" type of stuff that Matt had also talked about.

So, I'm still kinda pumped for this album... Except maybe that one song that reviews claim sounds like AC/DC.

it's just that none of the songs are actually dark :LOL: psycho is just riffing around, mercy is another "oh my souuul" anthem and reapers is like robbie williams/acdc/morello+that fucking shameless chord progression.

I'm so sick of people using "dark" to mean "heavy." Like, it is starting to physically pain me.

This is a pretty lyrically dark album so far, and you can't deny that at all.

I'm so sick of people using "dark" to mean "heavy." Like, it is starting to physically pain me.

This is a pretty lyrically dark album so far, and you can't deny that at all.

Most people know dark doesn't mean heavy but hearing a dark song conveys a certain sonic quality we aren't getting at all with the new album. Dead Star is a song that has a dark sonic quality to it, I don't mean the heaviness I mean the verses' vocal delivery. I don't think it was too much to expect that when the first half of the album was described as the dark half. Ok maybe it was. This is 2015 Muse we're talking about :LOL:

I guess, using DI as the example you chose, I DO hear a darkness in the vocal delivery.

I think this is the most emotion Matt has conveyed in his vocals since BH&R, easily.

It's exactly what TR and T2L were missing (Follow Me live vs on album is a perfect example.)

As the song builds up at the end, I feel there's a sense of desperation in the delivery - the entire bit after the "four chord" riff and especially in the "you taught me to lie" line.

I dunno. I'm very impressed.

Yeah but I was thinking we'd get the reverse of what we got in the past. Normally its 2 or 3 songs for the OoS purist Muse fans and 8 pop rock or full blown pop songs. The inverse of that is not an unrealistic expectation given what was said.

Yeah, reasonable. I expect Drones to be something like 50/50 at least, but for now I refrain from making any conclusions about its overall sound and mood based on some reviews and articles, without hearing the album first. If Aftermath, for example, will turn out to be something like a mix between FAWY/Invincible/Endlessly - I will be totally okay with that side of soft love songs.

And I don't know what to expect from Revolt. Poppy with catchy chorus? It doesn't say much for me because Muse have done a lot of things like that, either good or bad, pre-BHAR and after it.

I guess, using DI as the example you chose, I DO hear a darkness in the vocal delivery.

I think this is the most emotion Matt has conveyed in his vocals since BH&R, easily.

It's exactly what TR and T2L were missing (Follow Me live vs on album is a perfect example.)

As the song builds up at the end, I feel there's a sense of desperation in the delivery - the entire bit after the "four chord" riff and especially in the "you taught me to lie" line.

No I'm with you on DI. I like it, it is dark overall. It's actually a pretty depressing song. And I think its the best of the four we've heard so far. But it still wasn't what people expected or the type of Muse I was wanting. Oh well.

Here's to probably one more week. A week from now we'll all likely be hearing it.

I agree completely, sure it was a shock; I was expecting the first single to be new born-esque or at least more rock based on what Matt had been saying. But listening to it now, I think the three studio version songs sonically sound very good, and definitely convey a sense of darkness.

I guarantee you were one of them. If I cared to dig back into people's late 2013/early2014 post history none of you would be saying, "guys calm down it's going to turn out being status quo pop rock albeit slightly stripped back"

I was never that excited, but Dead Inside also wasn't so surprising in context of that.

For all we know they could have planned an album of Agitated and then realized it was bad and backtracked.