Why is there so much hate against The 2nd Law? I actually really enjoyed that album and still do

No flow, no cohesion whatsoever making it hard to listen to as a whole even if you wanted to, half-baked concept, boring songs, no longevity.

Why is there so much hate against The 2nd Law? I actually really enjoyed that album and still do

because in comparison to Origin, Absolution, Black Holes and Revelations and to a lesser extent Showbiz and The Resistance it's not very good. It's also really disjointed and the production causes the songs to suffer. Songs like Panic Station and Follow Me were cool live but suffered horribly on the album

I don't think there's a track from T2L (aside from IS) that I really like. Supremacy,Panic Station and Animals are nice to listen to every once in a while,but very... skippable. The rest is meh.

Animals is probably the only one I still listen to - will occasionally listen to a live version of supremacy but it's lack of longevity is kinda alarming to be honest

Yes. There's bad songs on there for sure, but Big Freeze is the only one that causes actual physical pain.

Explorers?

Haven't listened to Explorers ever since T2L came out lol,no reason to listen to it again :LOL:

I listened to Big Freeze twice I think. Then I decided to remind myself what it sounds like...so U2, more than I initially thought

How is it underdeveloped? I'd say Redemption is one of the best things they've ever done.

It just felt like it could have been much more, instead it just feels like an elongated standard Muse piano song. CE does more in 7 minutes than Exo does in 12.

Redemption's nice though, I can listen to it by itself as well unlike the other parts.

That doesn't say much.

Don't care, having a fun live stomper after 4 years is good enough for me.

The only thing I would've done different on that track is play something else before the octaves part, instead of a repetition of the riff.

Yes. There's bad songs on there for sure, but Big Freeze is the only one that causes actual physical pain.

As heyjackk said, I was thinking of Explorers also. And I can't stand Unsustainable on record (live was better).

(And I have to learn to multiquote :$)

It just felt like it could have been much more, instead it just feels like an elongated standard Muse piano song. CE does more in 7 minutes than Exo does in 12.

Redemption's nice though, I can listen to it by itself as well unlike the other parts.

My main gripe with Exo is just that the middle part doesn't blend well with the rest.

Hate me if you want, but I think Explorers, Big Freeze and Save Me are all pretty damn good songs and I love that stretch of the album. I never skip them.

Again, Muse fan since 2001. dwi.

It doesn't matter since when you're a Muse fan,you just have a different opinion. And that's fine.

Because to the majority of this forum, Absolution/Origin of Symmetry is objectively the best album Muse have ever released. The 2nd Law is my 2nd favourite behind The Resistance, and by saying that I've lost all credibility to some of these people.

Maybe that's just the effect they wanted to deliver: the obsessive recurrence of that riff might metaforically represent the rutilating brainwashing made by the oppressors.

That's what I try to tell myself. But it doesn't make it any better.

I think there are individual songs on 2nd law that are okay on their own (Animals, Supremacy, and I have a soft spot for Explorers), but as an album it didn't work at all. Worse Muse album by a long shoot. I am one of those weirdos who loves The Resistance...but it would be good to have a return to Absolution era Muse. I miss the clasical refernces in the riffs, and they are starting to sound more and more like a generic rock band with pop sensibilities instead of the unique 'Muse sound' of old.

As heyjackk said, I was thinking of Explorers also. And I can't stand Unsustainable on record (live was better).

(And I have to learn to multiquote :$)

Unsustainable could've sounded decent if it had more bass during the drop. The whole thing just feels like a gimmick though. Tbh, that entire album cycle felt like a gimmick.

It doesn't matter since when you're a Muse fan,you just have a different opinion. And that's fine.

I'm just trying to dissuade people from the idea that long-term fans should all hate T2L and only Twilight teeny boppers like it.

Hate me if you want, but I think Explorers, Big Freeze and Save Me are all pretty damn good songs and I love that stretch of the album. I never skip them.

Again, Muse fan since 2001. dwi.

Agreed with Big Freeze