Do you like Reapers?  

698 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Reapers?

• Yes!!
    • Maybe
    • Nope
    • Electronically arousing

Well my original word was camp but I didn't want to come across as homophobic because I'm far from it! But for a song about drone warfare it is really odd. Even in the concept it makes no sense.

Taking into the account the new 'All you've done is brutalise' line, I take it as Matt saying something like "You've got these great, powerful organisations built to protect people and you use them to fuck shit up."

As for the 'babe' thing, it's probs just a double meaning for a cruel/vicious lover like loads of other people have said.

For convenience, the 'new' confirmed lyrics, section of them anyway:

You rule with lies and deceit

And the world is on your side

You’ve got the CIA babe

And all you’ve done is brutalize

War, war just moved up a gear

I don’t think I can handle the truth

I’m just a pawn

And we’re all expendable

Incidentally, electronically erased, by your

Drones

Killed by

Drones

Well, I doubt they've changed it. There's every possibility the distorted 'Drones!' plays at the same time as the hooligan chants though.

Idk, the way the guitars sounded in that snippet makes it sound almost like a demo recording. I could be completely wrong though, I think I'm just trying to convince myself that they won't use the chants...I just hope they don't chant sing the "killed by" part.

Idk, the way the guitars sounded in that snippet makes it sound almost like a demo recording. I could be completely wrong though, I think I'm just trying to convince myself that they won't use the chants...I just hope they don't chant sing the "killed by" part.

Iirc, didn't a review confirm the vocoder 'killed by' parts? Can't remember which one now.

Just a stab in the dark but I think those dive bomb sounds Matt makes during the main solo are either intended to replicate the firing of a drone missile and/or it might actually be backed up in the mix/replaced by an actual recording of a missile launch sound. Might be cool

Just a stab in the dark but I think those dive bomb sounds Matt makes during the main solo are either intended to replicate the firing of a drone missile and/or it might actually be backed up in the mix/replaced by an actual recording of a missile launch sound. Might be cool

Yeah, the start of the guitar solo is like a missile dropping, must be deliberate :awesome:

Maybe he just thought it sounded cool.

Maybe he just thought it sounded cool.

*insert obvious.jpg here*

I figure Matt's newfound fondness of incorporating sound bites into Muse songs might bleed into this, who knows? I'm only nervous for how the solo ends up sounding on record.

Don't think that'll happen. I really hope not anyway, that'd take me out of it.

Why would the solo sound any different?

After letting myself listen to song solos performed live by Muse and other proggy acts, Ive come to not expect a carbon copy of the solo in studio. There's a lot that can go wrong in terms of production there so I just hope it delivers. Other acts I'm into like TMV have put totally different/disappointing versions of the solos they play live on the album track at times

Why would the solo sound any different?

You never know, Matt does tend to change solos live sometimes. Reapers has been played pretty much exactly the same, note-for-note, since it was first played though so I don't expect it to change.

You never know, Matt does tend to change solos live sometimes. Reapers has been played pretty much exactly the same, note-for-note, since it was first played though so I don't expect it to change.

I don't expect the notes to change for the same reasons you listed, I am apprehensive however about the production because who knows what Itll actually sound like on record

I like this interpretation. Now you mention it, it does sound like a craft flying overhead or a missile launch.