The point people are making is that Muse put themselves in this situation by releasing singles that don't represent them as a band

Something tells me they have no issues with the situation they've put themselves in.

then one particular album released and the focus shifted. This isn't a coincidence and I wish they'd recognize this.

I mean they did give the whole "we're drawing a line under part of our career" speech almost five years ago now, but I'm sure they'll stop to consider their actions sometime soon.

Safe to say we're all well and truly sick of this attitude Muse.

It's really hard to judge Matt's tone, I guess, because he seems so fucking awkward when he talks on stage, but I've been to three gigs, and at all three he said something like this that didn't feel good.

Mumbling into the piano keys that you're going to play a song off an album no one owns is hard to interpret in a positive light.

If people going to their shows don't know album material, then maybe you're playing to the wrong fucking audience.

It was only like seven years ago where the entire crowd was a mosh pit, knowing every world to every song going fucking mental over Sing For Absolution, then one particular album released and the focus shifted. This isn't a coincidence and I wish they'd recognize this.

Also look at that video, 10 of you know it, so let's go to the corners that are completely dead for the cool vocals and guitar riffs. What the fuck.

It was less than a year ago that the small US gigs proved more than 10 people know their music, no?

They know they're playing to the wrong audience, and it's probably more the size and scale of the shows than it is the last couple of albums.

It baffles me as to why they continue to do this when it seems like they get little enjoyment out of it themselves, even.

They would make more money playing to 3-5,000 person clubs and stuffing the theatrics in the US, too.

I still fail to see who would pay astonishing amounts of money to see a band you know very little about. Unless its daytripper, 'get me a selfie and a video to put on facebook' kind of deal. Can't wait to watch Madness on someone else's ipad screen...

The sad thing is, putting everyone's experiences together (including mine, where I ran into dozen and dozens of people towards the front of the stage that hadn't listened to any album, including the current one) I think the picture is pretty clear that a load of these people really just ARE daytrippers. A lot got made of Muse as the "best live band ever" and they're playing (and competing) with a bunch of pop acts that blow the spectacle out of the water (as someone else mentioned.)

I stood in line in one city last year listening to a group of about ten talk about how they knew the T2L stage show was worse than the TR one, and they were wasting their time probably. One of them asked if they thought any of the bass player songs would get played, and the other nine looked at him like he was crazy; literally had no idea what he was talking about.

I was probably only about 20-30 people behind in line.

And that's why the crowd is dwindling, too. People don't have as much money to blow on something just for that selfie moment, and the "best live band" and the Grammy shine are starting to fade because it's been over half a decade.

Something tells me they have no issues with the situation they've put themselves in.

Maybe in every other country; but if they were happy, literally insulting us isn't a great way to express it. I'm not talking about quality of setlists here, either.

Like, actual badmouthing of the crowds who are paying to see them. And maybe a little insisting on using as a guinea pigs to such an extent that they announced a shoddy piecemeal tour at the last minute that even the hardcore crazies thought had become impossible and were counting on summer for the US.

I mean they did give the whole "we're drawing a line under part of our career" speech almost five years ago now, but I'm sure they'll stop to consider their actions sometime soon.

Something tells me they're annoyed with the stage, the fans and the travelling. They just seem to be quite tired of it, and even voice that opinion to the fans.

Couple of points raised over the past day or two worth bringing back:

Regarding mic stands/choreographed 'places to be', Metallica in the round (hell, even Metallica at festivals) has somewhere between 10 and 15 microphones. They aren't scripted, and the mics aren't always on, they just get "activated" when a band member decides to stand there during a song. Stage "moments" obviously need a bit more planning (e.g. Pyro/safe zones from flame pits, stage gimmicks) but it didn't mean they couldn't rotate the setlist if they were on top of what was happening.

Regarding setlist checking: Metallica does it, Lars checks the setlists for any city before writing the setlist for the current night. Over 2 nights with 18 song setlists and 7 staples, you'd see nearly 30 songs over a night. Even with a stage in the round, even with all sorts of neat little props and stuff. Muse's stage and 'not knowing' their own songs isn't an excuse for what they're currently getting away with.

What vexes me most about what Matt said before CE last night is that he's admitting they're playing the song in spite of knowing most people don't know the song. Do they not think America is any different? Him saying that implies that America knows of the "older" muse even less than Canada where only "10 people" know it as it is apparently. So he knows most of the crowd isn't going to know it but plays it for them, but they won't do that here? That one totally loses me.

Well Muse generally plays different sets for tours vs. festivals vs. whatever; I'm fine with that because that's an established thing for them, I wouldn't expect those shows. But to rework the setlist to a lesser quality version here and then drive a couple miles North and have a totally different attitude is definitely hurtful to hear as a fan.

Maybe in every other country; but if they were happy, literally insulting us isn't a great way to express it. I'm not talking about quality of setlists here, either.

Like, actual badmouthing of the crowds who are paying to see them.

That's not what happened.

Matt made a backhanded comment that could be interpreted any number of ways. He could be sick of the song, and tired of people requesting it. He could genuinely believe the vast majority of people there don't like it (I mean, look at the crowd). He could be taking the piss.

It's really only an issue if you want it to be one.

Something tells me they're annoyed with the stage, the fans and the travelling. They just seem to be quite tired of it, and even voice that opinion to the fans.

Where did they do this?

Matt made a backhanded comment that could be interpreted any number of ways. He could be sick of the song, and tired of people requesting it. He could genuinely believe the vast majority of people there don't like it (I mean, look at the crowd). He could be taking the piss.

Where did they do this?

I don't think Matt is one to be that tongue in cheek on the spot. If he says something along the lines of "we're gonna play this song even though most of you don't know it", then that's what it means. I highly doubt he said that phrase while thinking "I'm so tired of people wanting to hear CE".

I don't think Matt is one to be that tongue in cheek on the spot. If he says something along the lines of "we're gonna play this song even though most of you don't know it", then that's what it means. I highly doubt he said that phrase while thinking "I'm so tired of people wanting to hear CE".

that bloody messageboard

Wow, Matt going badass doesn't suit him well :LOL::LOL:. And it's obviously not a "fan" problem. If you release songs with mainstream appeal, you'll obviously attract a legion of new fans who don't listen to the old and hidden stuff. Though I can get why they don't play it often. I feel like if I was playing on stage, I'd like people to go nuts and feel the atmosphere. It's kind of depressing seeing the crowd reaction on CE.

It reminds me of Kurt Cobain starting their Unplugged show by saying "This song is off our first record. Most people don't own it." Maybe paraphrasing there.

Nirvana proceeded to play an eclectic hit-free set of obscurities and covers that shocked and to some degree disappointed their audience...on MTV of all places. In retrospect, many people regard it as their finest moment.

Muse will never be Nirvana.

Regarding mic stands/choreographed 'places to be', Metallica in the round (hell, even Metallica at festivals) has somewhere between 10 and 15 microphones. They aren't scripted, and the mics aren't always on, they just get "activated" when a band member decides to stand there during a song. Stage "moments" obviously need a bit more planning (e.g. Pyro/safe zones from flame pits, stage gimmicks)

Learned that one the hard way, didn't they?

Where did they do this?

I feel like you're deliberately ignoring the previous comments

This wasn't a one off. Matt does this all the time.

I've seen three gigs, and he's done it at all of them. Twice at one. To any number of songs; DS, MC, Fury, Sunburn, PiB for fucks sake.

Once they didn't even play a rare song after the comment; he mentioned that they played the arena in 2000, and none of us were there, and then launched into a staple song.

Another time he said we must all be high since we were so still.

I've lost count of the videos of it I've seen. He was downright rude to the Weenie Roast last year.

It's never felt funny, or tongue in cheek; it's usually deadpan serious sounding, or even accusatory/dejected.

And there's a real problem when comments like that constitute the entirety of your banter with the crowd, outside of a thank you at the end.

And that's not even touching on the outright badmouthing that band and crew have said to people. It happened in Dallas, shit, it happened with a friend of mine during T2L.

I feel like you're deliberately ignoring the previous comments

This wasn't a one off. Matt does this all the time.

I've seen three gigs, and he's done it at all of them. Twice at one. To any number of songs; DS, MC, Fury, Sunburn, PiB for fucks sake.

Once they didn't even play a rare song after the comment; he mentioned that they played the arena in 2000, and none of us were there, and then launched into a staple song.

Another time he said we must all be high since we were so still.

I've lost count of the videos of it I've seen. He was downright rude to the Weenie Roast last year.

It's never felt funny, or tongue in cheek; it's usually deadpan serious sounding, or even accusatory/dejected.

And there's a real problem when comments like that constitute the entirety of your banter with the crowd, outside of a thank you at the end.

And that's not even touching on the outright badmouthing that band and crew have said to people. It happened in Dallas, shit, it happened with a friend of mine during T2L.

Those comments make me think that they're not really enjoying themselves and their actual position. Which, honestly, was their own doing. Releasing singles which don't actually sound like most of the material Muse has released over those years, attracting the masses who don't actually give a damn about anything but their singles... Maybe they feel alienated. These comments are growing in number as time goes by, and it makes me think that with time they could raise a middle finger to all of this. It's affecting their live performances, which now feel more like "put it on automatic" than something passionate.

"We're going to play an old song now, which I think 10 of you probably know really well, the others just bear with us".

Safe to say we're all well and truly sick of this attitude Muse.

maybe I'm misunderstanding the intent here, but a couple things: no one can know what Matt was really thinking/ feeling when he said that, only he could and -maybe- Chris, Dom, or some other their closest and oldest crew members might understand what he was intimating there; second, it could have been self-deprecating, like his ancient comment that the same 20 (or whatever that quote was) people go to every gig, since CE is older than that movie and Guitar Hero :LOL:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/red-hot-chili-peppers/2012/scotiabank-saddledome-calgary-ab-canada-23dae813.html

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/red-hot-chili-peppers/2012/rexall-place-edmonton-ab-canada-2bdadc7a.html

Muse should just do something like this. Look at how many different songs are played over 2 different dates, there are almost all hits on both nights (with rotations that would be similar to Resistance/UD and Hysteria/PiB), some rare songs and some crowd favorites and I don't think it's that hard to do something like this. I won't be mad if Muse don't play songs I love as long as they perform good other songs but I can't imagine rotating this much as RHCP, who are in their 50s with history of 20 years of using drugs and stuff, being that hard.

There are also a pictures of Anthony Kiedis writing setlist for that tour in 2011/12 where you can see setlists from 2006/07 on the table.

Please no. America has already gotten slapped around enough throughout the past three tours, without Showbiz and Assassin making it onto the set.

I, for one, would love to hear Assassin live. no one else likes Assassin 'cept me :eek:

I don't really get it [....] That's a step in the good direction, isn't it?

I would think so! some people would want to slap me for not being crazy for Muscle Museum or Sunburn, but I wouldn't lambast the band for playing it, recognize it for what it is, a rare treat

I still fail to see who would pay astonishing amounts of money to see a band you know very little about. Unless its daytripper, 'get me a selfie and a video to put on facebook' kind of deal

for the USA market, there are definitely casual concert goers who attend just for the sake of going, even if they barely know the material. they go for something to do, they go because their friends are going, they go because they know one song, or yeah, they can't wait to get another pic on their 'Gram and be the next bloody Kar___n.

had an extra GA ticket for Chicago, sold it to a guy who's primary exposure to Muse was playing KoC on Guitar Hero :eek: what can you do, can't stop people like that from attending a gig.

the band can't do this business alone and they signed with the monster that is Warner. so their management, their partners, are all for the big big shows with big big venues and corresponding ticket prices