I've said it's not fair to compare different leg sets, but it's more that they save all the special songs for stadiums typically, so there's that fallback in Europe. Australia and Japan sometimes get something special as make up. Most of NA not so much.

Also the first US leg got none of those.

But still, T2L tour was good. The 2nd leg began to show some promise, and there were much fewer complaints.

I expect Resistance to be back at least once if not twice for the next three gigs.

Unfortunately that is.

I am not sure why quite a few are raving about how much the setlists got better now.

Comparing Toronto to Quebec City 1 we have CE/Resistance or Map/PiB.

Still nothing from Showbiz.

To be fair, they've pretty much completely ignored Showbiz in general sets for about 7 years now. Don't see why Sunburn isn't at least in rotation for the piano slot over Feeling Good and USOE but that's Muse.

I agree that I find it hard to get excited about these sets though. I remember even on TR's stadium tour, a good set usually meant Map, US, SS, New Born, B&H, CE, TAB and sometimes Bliss and MK Ultra. Now a good set is...Map/CE and AP. In all honesty, it's more the length that bothers me. People talk about the band adding one or two songs but, for me, an act of their stature and discography should be playing 22 (5 more) easily but the band seem at an all time low effort-wise.

On another note, people say that Muse have been giving a particularly bad treatment to their US fans for years, but looking at last tour's sets, that statement doesn't really hold. In terms of rarities, the 2nd US Arena leg got Fury (!), Butterflies & Hurricanes (!!), Sunburn, Agitated, Unnatural Selection, Neutron Star Collision (still) and streching it a bit, Citizen Erased. Also Sign o' the Times in the first leg.

Compare that with Europe's Falling Down, Sunburn, Host intro and Ruled by Secrecy. Not that bad.

I have no complaints against T2L tour other than the fact that the first leg in the US had three shows in Los Angeles and the rarest thing we got was a cover song. Sure, count Bliss if you're counting LA1 which was the same as San Diego down to the riffs they played. Meanwhile on the East Coast, single dates got Fury/Agitated and multiple dates got Dead Star and even Micro Cuts quite consistently.

I could've done three shows on the East Coast or a single stadium in Europe and got more rotations/material than I heard at 8 arena shows and that sucks. If they're going to continue playing here first, don't punish us. Get a nice structure down that is consistent and rewarding for everybody.

Same thing applies here, if I did the two recent shows, I would've gotten a better more varied show than my five West Coast dates for Drones.

Actually I do have a complaint against The 2nd Law tour, wasn't there a song slot literally dropped the moment they came from Europe?

Weren't MC and DS one shots on 2nd nights?

And Fury was a one shot for a fan who'd done 100 shows ( and then was surly she didn't get another request on her birthday. )

But yes, the US shows were still shorter, and some more than others. I saw one at least one shorter on T2L, and tied for shortest TR with a whopping 15 songs.

To be fair, they've pretty much completely ignored Showbiz in general sets for about 7 years now. Don't see why Sunburn isn't at least in rotation for the piano slot over Feeling Good and USOE but that's Muse.

I agree that I find it hard to get excited about these sets though. I remember even on TR's stadium tour, a good set usually meant Map, US, SS, New Born, B&H, CE, TAB and sometimes Bliss and MK Ultra. Now a good set is...Map/CE and AP. In all honesty, it's more the length that bothers me. People talk about the band adding one or two songs but, for me, an act of their stature and discography should be playing 22 (5 more) easily but the band seem at an all time low effort-wise.

Ideally of course that would be the case, but as we've seen, they're playing every hit they've ever had. 12 staples, 4 Drones songs and 1 piano slot, even one or two more songs would make things very interesting since that's where they're practically forced to do something interesting.

I've been told the band has said this tour is supposed to make up for our lack of stadium gigs in the US, so play a stadium set and make that standard going into the future.

I remember people laughing at the prospect of Muse doing a 2 hour set first night of the Mexican shows, I told them "I have faith they'll pull it off in some form or another". A periscope was running straight through, and by the time everything was done, it was like an hour and fifty eight minutes and we started cracking up because they managed to do a 2 hour set with 17 songs by artificially stretching it out with riffs/jams/playback.

Sadly, you're right. :(

So I mean 2 hrs of actual music. Riffs are fine. I love it when they jam and add riffs. 2 minutes between songs, not ok (especially since Muse used to riff and flow songs into each other, which I always love).

LA shows were about 1:45-1:50 total, with not significant downtime between songs (but does also include tape tracks and the songs-but-not-really-songs). Diito San Diego.

This is what Muse are currently doing so I think he took inspiration from that.

Uhmm He is a she and yes I took a current setlist and put in some suggestions

to make it a better setlist with songs that the fans like to hear.It doesn.t have to be in the same order.I took out some songs[drool songs],because i,ts too pop and needs more rock.

Great, so the East Coast can get an awesome set two tours in a row and the West Coast fans are idiots as usual for having the audacity to show up and expect a comparable set. Not to mention it's another opportunity for everyone on the East Coast regularly getting good good sets to tell us to stop complaining.

Now people doing New York back to back can get more rotation and more variety than I did in five dates that were 5 hours driving distsance from each other.

you saw assassin and hyper music at the mayan, you've lost all rights to complain

The one shot and 2nd night songs don't really count.

At least those songs were played at all though tbf. No chance of any of them happening at all on this tour, in the US at least.

How they've taken so many steps backwards in such a short space of time is honestly baffling to me.

you saw assassin and hyper music at the mayan, you've lost all rights to complain

That doesn't change the fact that he still payed $500+ this time around to see them. Why does the fact that he saw them play something good one time for 7 minutes make it justifiable that he get fucked over for 10 hours?

That doesn't change the fact that he still payed $500+ this time around to see them. Why does that he saw them play something good one time for 7 minutes make it justifiable that he get fucked over for 10 hours?

there's no such thing as getting "fucked over" (for the most part) when it comes to going to concerts. we all play the lottery with how many shows we go to. we're not guaranteed to get 6 different sets at 6 different shows so its stupid to sit back and complain about how one set of shows got this and the other didn't, that's a risk you take going into purchasing tickets. it's never a secret that Muse doesn't change their nightly sets much, so if you buy $500 worth of tickets you can't have high expectations.

addition: in no way am I saying that it's correct that it works out that way, but with Muse that's the way it is. If you want to buy tickets to 6 gigs, that's great; but you can't go into the shows assuming that because you spent all that money you'll get something "special".

Edited by MusersAdvocate

I have no complaints against T2L tour other than the fact that the first leg in the US had three shows in Los Angeles and the rarest thing we got was a cover song. Sure, count Bliss if you're counting LA1 which was the same as San Diego down to the riffs they played. Meanwhile on the East Coast, single dates got Fury/Agitated and multiple dates got Dead Star and even Micro Cuts quite consistently.

I could've done three shows on the East Coast or a single stadium in Europe and got more rotations/material than I heard at 8 arena shows and that sucks. If they're going to continue playing here first, don't punish us. Get a nice structure down that is consistent and rewarding for everybody.

Same thing applies here, if I did the two recent shows, I would've gotten a better more varied show than my five West Coast dates for Drones.

Actually I do have a complaint against The 2nd Law tour, wasn't there a song slot literally dropped the moment they came from Europe?

The only reason the east coast got rare songs is because of signs on multiple night shows. Dead Star for both Toronto and New York and Micro Cuts just the once in Montreal. The signs idea really only started after the 3 shows in LA but I'm sure signs could've got you something more "rare" than Bliss.

And speaking of Bliss, I know it doesn't seem so rare to you because the West Coast hears it fairly often, but on the East Coast, it is quite rare! I've been to 13 shows, and have only heard it once, and that was the special show at Webster Hall. My friend has been to 20 Muse shows, he's also only heard it once, again at Webser Hall.

Speaking of special shows, the Mayan gig not only had more songs than the Webster Hall gig, but you guys got Assassin as well!

The only reason Pittsburgh got Fury was because it happened to be Catherine's 100th show. If that had fallen on a West Coast show, it would've been played there. It was just luck.

My point to all of this is it seems like you have a huge confirmation bias going on here. Sure some shows in the West got short changed, but shows in the East do too (Detroit didn't even have a piano slot). It's not like Muse caters to one or the other.

there's no such thing as getting "fucked over" (for the most part) when it comes to going to concerts. we all play the lottery with how many shows we go to. we're not guaranteed to get 6 different sets at 6 different shows so its stupid to sit back and complain about how one set of shows got this and the other didn't, that's a risk you take going into purchasing tickets. it's never a secret that Muse doesn't change their nightly sets much, so if you buy $500 worth of tickets you can't have high expectations.

I'd say there definitely is such a thing as getting fucked over, especially since he probably bought all of his tickets directly after the festival tour and probably, and rightly so, expected the much higher quality of the sets to carry over to the main tour, as we all expected it would.

I'd say there definitely is such a thing as getting fucked over, especially since he probably bought all of his tickets directly after the festival tour and probably, and rightly so, expected the much higher quality of the sets to carry over to the main tour, as we all expected it would.

i disagree. when you're spending that kind of money you cannot make those choices based off of assumptions and predictions; but that's just me

Alexander DeLarge has complained about every single show that's he's attended for years. You'd think he'd stop going when something was wrong with every single show. Yes, sometimes there are things that aren't cool at some of the shows that I go to, but overall the shows are great and entertaining. Only one show out of 20 something that I've gone to was legitimately bad in my opinion, which is a good record. But if I were to have something disappointing in every show the way Alexander DeLarge does, I would start spending my time and money on another band. And I have done that before.

Alexander DeLarge has complained about every single show that's he's attended for years. You'd think he'd stop going when something was wrong with every single show. Yes, sometimes there are things that aren't cool at some of the shows that I go to, but overall the shows are great and entertaining. Only one show out of 20 something that I've gone to was legitimately bad in my opinion, which is a good record. But if I were to have something disappointing in every show the way Alexander DeLarge does, I would start spending my time and money on another band. And I have done that before.

I agree. As far as Muse goes a time when someone gets "fucked over" is extremely rare. I'd say an actual existence of this would be say the Philly show I went to last tour. The special pre-gig before the show got CE, and then during the concert we got animals and guiding light while all the other shows prior and after got NSC, Fury, Agitated, US, BH, etc. and the boys energy level were definitely down since they traveled overnight. But out of all the shows I've been to that's the only complaint I have, so I'd say that's pretty good. DeLarge on the other hand has been to numerous shows with rare songs played (and according to his gigs attended list, has suddenly been to shows as far back as 2004 when he was 11 years old) and yet still complains. He even found a way to complain about the Webster Hall gig, which in my estimation is the best concert I've ever been and will go to. Some people just can't be pleased, ever.

There are diminishing returns with going to multiple concerts. I'm just more worried that none of them so far this leg have been to their full potential, considering the festivals and last tour. Some were closer than others.

Vegas was pretty damn awesome. Yeah, not on par with the Mayan, but still really good. :awesome:

I am not sure why quite a few are raving about how much the setlists got better now.

Comparing Toronto to Quebec City 1 we have CE/Resistance or Map/PiB.

Honestly? Because that's really how little Muse needs to do to make a great deal of fans happy; play one or two songs that the hardercore fans haven't seen every single gig since they were introduced.

I'd be happy as hell to see Bliss or CE, in addition to the new songs. Probably even enough to forget for a time how short it was. (Until I accidentally see the European sets.)

There are diminishing returns with going to multiple concerts. I'm just more worried that none of them so far this leg have been to their full potential, considering the festivals and last tour. Some were closer than others.

I noticed right away I was going to the gigs hoping to hear just a handful of songs I hadn't before, including the new album ones.

As has been said before, it's not even just that they play the same singles relentlessly, but they don't bring anything to them different from tour to tour. I don't really want to hear an acoustic set, and I think that pisses off fans seeing their first gigs anyways, but the staples don't seem to have much energy to them, and come off as very by the numbers. Same riffs, same intros, often even the same motions, and often not even anything spectacular in the visuals department, which seem to be reserved primarily for new songs, this tour in particular.

Concerts are always a crap shoot, but I think it's pretty fair to say not a lot of people should be personally held accountable for buying tickets sight unseen to this tour expecting:

- heavier album, maybe heavier set (backed up by the festival tour!)

- more thematic, less like a slapped together cluster of hits (Matt himself talked about it)

- functioning stage props

- it wouldn't consist of less songs than the last arena tours in the same country; pretty much only as long as a festival

And, based on last tours, I would have expected at least a decent shot at seeing a cool older song or two that I hadn't seen before.

I've seen a grand total of three gigs and I've gotten TaB, Sunburn, US, Map, and GL (which I guess was rarer in the US.)

And one of those sets was only 15 songs long.

This tour, there was a good chance I wouldn't see a single non-Drones song I have seen at least twice already.

Edited by SerpentSatellite