CE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNT4Ggs1Qyc

"We're going to play an old song now, which I think 10 of you probably know really well, the others just bear with us".

Safe to say we're all well and truly sick of this attitude Muse.

Sorry, I'm late to this party. That's the best illustration of what their attitude towards the sets is, maybe even why they're so short. It's not about quality or fun, it's about playing songs that people know. So sad they think that should be their strength.

Some artists just spoon-feed their audience what the band feels they expect to hear. Other bands play whatever the hell they want and challenge the audience to be open-minded enough to keep up.

The best live bands are probably the ones who can strike a balance between the two.

Unfortunately, today's audiences might be made up of a bunch of mindless drones who would prefer to be spoon-fed than challenged. And suddenly it all makes sense...:logic:

Here's what a 66 year old can do...32 song set list

Bruce Springsteen Covers David Bowie, Resurrects 'The River' at Tour Opener

E Street Band tears through 'Rebel Rebel' during fiery three-and-a-half-hour Pittsburgh show

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bruce-springsteen-covers-david-bowie-resurrects-the-river-at-tour-opener-20160117#ixzz3xXj5EihN

CE

"We're going to play an old song now, which I think 10 of you probably know really well, the others just bear with us".

Highlight of the night! absolutely brilliant.

Happy to be in Toronto yesterday night. But I enjoyed all the mainstream songs too. I have no problem seeing Muse try to be a crowd pleaser (and crowd these days seem filled with people who had barely listened to the performers' materials)

I take that comment the other way. Like a child who is showing his favorite toy and is slightly afraid of rejection. But I think the crowd responded pretty well. Maybe just for the fun of seeing some musers like me going completely mental! :LOL:

What I wish is Muse do smaller gigs in North America made for fans ... there they can play all the obscure songs we want with no risk of ending with a silent response. :p

Crowd sucked at the Mayan. This dude next to me complained that my friends and I were jumping too much. We were in the second row. :stunned: Would have loved to have been in the NYC crowd.

I'm pretty completely oblivious of the other people around me at gigs; I really just get sucked in by what I'm looking at and hearing, and it just feels like I'm there by myself.

I'm pretty still, and jumping around and screaming takes me out of the moment, although I barely notice if people are doing it around me, and don't mind unless it's in my ears or excessively slamming into me when no one else is acting like that.

I really love the immersion and escape of hearing, seeing and feeling songs that I love, and I'm way more impacted by hearing songs I like then what's going on with others in the crowd, effects, etc.

My absolute favorite gigs were just a man with a guitar and barely even any stage lights, and a hushed crowd; left some of those gigs moved to tears (usually after 2-3 hours, too.)

CE

Safe to say we're all well and truly sick of this attitude Muse.

This is just stupid.

In Dallas, fans requested it and people loved it. In Houston, Bliss was more popular than most of the songs played.

Just flat out disrespectful to us old Musers in the US.

He even did this in 2010 for freaking Plug In Baby in Houston. We all sang along and his response after "pretty good for a song that was never released here."

For Bliss in Dallas, "We're gonna play our second song off of our second song. Okay?"

When Faith No More played Epic, from 1989, Mike Patton didn't go "oh we're gonna play an old song guys". Or when NIN played Sanctified from Pretty Hate Machine Trent didn't go "hope you remember this one."

Seriously, just fuck off.

Just stop playing the old songs, guys. We will just stop buying tickets.

Edited by ninsp

I will say, I think if you request songs via social media that are reasonable requests they usually tend to. I tweeted I've never seen Bliss a week or so before the show, they played Bliss and it's only been played like 3 times this tour. The hashtags usually work. Few people have said they've requested things on social media and gotten to hear them. People started talking about Map's absence online...it showed back up. Just saying. They check those accounts.

I will say, I think if you request songs via social media that are reasonable requests they usually tend to. I tweeted I've never seen Bliss a week or so before the show, they played Bliss and it's only been played like 3 times this tour. The hashtags usually work. Few people have said they've requested things on social media and gotten to hear them. People started talking about Map's absence online...it showed back up. Just saying. They check those accounts.

Didn't you see them fairly early on in the tour though? 'Cause I think Bliss was just in rotation for the first week or two, could've just been a coincidence as opposed to them seeing a specific tweet.

They do definitely check these things though, on occasion at least. That Futurism thread before Zepp springs to mind. I'm tempted to make a Twitter just to tweet them my requests for London in case meeting them again falls through. They hardly ever reply though, particularly to requests, so it'd be impossible to know if they acknowledged it or not :(

Edited by Jobby

How on earth do you meet them???????

There's a few different ways but if you mean me personally, I arrived at a gig early in the morning, met them as they went in and then waited by the exit/tour buses to meet them again afterwards. Was pretty brief though obviously, I only got to share a sentence or two with Matt and Dom. The fact that it was a small venue probably helped too, not sure how that works at arenas and such.

That's the easiest and most common way people meet them I think, there are other ways but some of them are arguably a bit creepy.

Crowd sucked at the Mayan. This dude next to me complained that my friends and I were jumping too much. We were in the second row. :stunned: Would have loved to have been in the NYC crowd.

I thought it was pretty good where I was. House left, about four or five rows back. There was one stuck up spaz of a girl complaining that the guy in front of me was jumping around too much, but the rest of us were like "you're a moron," and she eventually left. Said guy in front of me--a big dude--was so happy during the entire show. We had a moment when Reapers happened, and I was singing along, and he was like "YOU KNOW THE WORDS!!!" Fuck yea I did.

You get the luck of the draw with crowds a lot of times. You might be in the part that's awesome, or a dead patch, or the corner where that douchebag's hanging out.

Although ultimately, these Drones setlists have reinforced how special the Mayan show was. Best gig I've ever attended, though I also got a relative late start to Muse concert going.

I have an original thought!

Muse should make second-night syndrome an official thing. That is, they should visit major cities around the world, and perform two shows at each.

Night 1

- Hits and album songs

- Performed at a stadium/arena

- 360 degree stage

Psycho

Dead Inside

Hysteria

Plug In Baby

Isolated System

The Handler

Resistance

Supermassive Black Hole

Starlight

Apocalypse Please

Munich Jam

Madness

Undisclosed Desires

Revolt

Time Is Running Out

Uprising

Reapers

The Globalist

Drones

Mercy

Knights of Cydonia

Night 2

- Fan favourites and deeper cuts

- Intimate club gig

Psycho

Dead Inside

Supermassive Black Hole

Map of the Problematique

Bliss

The Handler

The Globalist

Sunburn

Hysteria

Muscle Museum

Uno

Time Is Running Out

New Born

Uprising

Hyper Music

Dead Star

Reapers

Stockholm Syndrome

I basically suggested that here:

http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=106711

:LOL::LOL:

It used to in 2010-2011 I heard, but not anymore.

It worked for a small group of us in Montreal on the T2L tour (so that was 2013). Waited outside the exit to the garage, thanks to a suggestion from some local folks. We tried with no luck the first night, and I don't know if it would have worked the second night either if it weren't for the fact that their chauffeurs came out for a smoke and we got chatting with them. They originally told us repeatedly that we were wasting our time, but after a while of chatting with them they agreed to "pause for a moment" as they were driving out. They stressed that they couldn't say anything to the band, but the pause at least gave them time to see us all shouting and waving signs, and to decide whether or not to get out (Chris and Dom did, and then their security guys radioed back to Matt's vehicle, which was coming afterwards, to let him know that he should probably do the same).

Was a really cool experience, but of course I forgot every question I ever thought I might ask them... :rolleyes:

Add two from Map, Bliss, Plug In Baby into the slots between Psycho and Dead Inside, put Madness and UD on rotation, replace Resistance with another piano song and add in Defector (or Stockholm ideally) then it would be about right.

A set like this would be similar to what they are doing now, slightly longer, but better for everyone:

Drones/Psycho

Hysteria or New Born

Dead Inside

Bliss or Map or Resistance

Unsustainable or Isolated System

The Handler

2 Rarities (See below)

Supermassive

Prelude/Starlight

United States of Eurasia or Feeling Good

Apocalypse Please or Sunburn or Ruled by Secrecy

Munich Jam

Madness or Undisclosed Desires

[JFK] >>>>>

Reapers or Defector

Time is Running Out

Uprising

Citizen Erased

The Globalist/Drones

Mercy

Plug in Baby or Stockholm Syndrome

Knights of Cydonia

2 Rarities could include (it hurt to call a lot of these rarities...they should be staples) :

Dead Star

Micro Cuts

Assassin

Muscle Museum

Fury

Futurism

Uno

Hyper Music

Agitated

Butterflies

I wouldn't be disappointed...and neither would the fans who only know hits. Probably the best solution to this dilemma.

Edited by jessebasi

This is just stupid.

In Dallas, fans requested it and people loved it. In Houston, Bliss was more popular than most of the songs played.

Just flat out disrespectful to us old Musers in the US.

He even did this in 2010 for freaking Plug In Baby in Houston. We all sang along and his response after "pretty good for a song that was never released here."

For Bliss in Dallas, "We're gonna play our second song off of our second song. Okay?"

When Faith No More played Epic, from 1989, Mike Patton didn't go "oh we're gonna play an old song guys". Or when NIN played Sanctified from Pretty Hate Machine Trent didn't go "hope you remember this one."

Seriously, just fuck off.

Just stop playing the old songs, guys. We will just stop buying tickets.

First time posting here.. long time lurker!

Just wanted to say that I was in the front row in Toronto, and I could see Matt's face when he said that opening line. He was kinda smiling, almost as if it was a joke. He didn't seem very upset/snarky/pissed off about playing it. I don't think it's worth it to get that upset about it.

Crowd loved it, band looked like they enjoyed it too.

Good crowd in Toronto, at least where I was (in that CE video, top left GA section, right up against the barrier). Lots of jumping. No crazy moshing, just good fun.

Great night! Just as good as 2013, 2010 and 2007!