Drums haven't been that good since BHAR, especially in Knights. And agreed, faster tempo could've made the song a little more exciting. Maybe they'll try it live.

Live they were really kicked up a notch on the second US leg of the last tour. It was the first thing I noticed. I don't know if they were mic'd differently or if they programmed some effects but they sounded better.

Now, as far as what Dom is actually playing? Yeah, I don't think he's always living up to his potential when we are talking about heavy stuff. The intricacies and polyrhythm on Animals and Save Me were testament to Dom's skills, I don't know why it feels like he's holding back on Psycho.

Live they were really kicked up a notch on the second US leg of the last tour. It was the first thing I noticed. I don't know if they were mic'd differently or if they programmed some effects but they sounded better.

Now, as far as what Dom is actually playing? Yeah, I don't think he's always living up to his potential when we are talking about heavy stuff. The intricacies and polyrhythm on Animals and Save Me were testament to Dom's skills, I don't know why it feels like he's holding back on Psycho.

Yeah, I was hoping he'd go for something more than just a stomp.

Yeah for sure,

Dom plays more for the song than to show off his technical skill that is still clearly shown in many tracks. His drumming on Muse's heavier tracks perfectly supplements the songs so they don't become overly complicated and are rhythmically sound while still creating interesting drum parts to a song.

The drumming in Psycho, while maybe a bit similar to Uprising fits the song perfectly and his drumming with the main riff makes the guitar riff so much more powerful.

Dom plays more for the song than to show off his technical skill that is still clearly shown in many tracks. His drumming on Muse's heavier tracks perfectly supplements the songs so they don't become overly complicated and are rhythmically sound while still creating interesting drum parts to a song.

The drumming in Psycho, while maybe a bit similar to Uprising fits the song perfectly and his drumming with the main riff makes the guitar riff so much more powerful.

The riff being more powerful to me is a bad thing because its just makes the song too boring. The drums take a backseat when it kicks in instead of being up there with it to make it an overall more powerful song.

I feel like a heavier drum part would enhance the song and complement the riff just beautifully a la Space Dementia, CE, and hell even the post Stockholm 0305030 riff.... So.....

Yeah exactly, a heavier drum part would keep that riff from becoming monotonous as its just kinda out there on its own with nothing complementing it (as much as it should)

The drums feel as heavy as they should in the chorus, to me.

Yeah. The drums are more than fine, they sound pristine and crisp to me. They don't really resonate as much as they could but I think that was a production choice. I don't think they were going for "big huge resonant sound", they just wanted a tight, slick attack for both the drums and the overall track. He does interesting things with the drums.

The drums feel as heavy as they should in the chorus, to me.

Yes precisely.

The drumming through the riff is pretty much identical to how it has been played at every Muse show so if it was changed everyone would be complaining about it.

Yeah that too, the drums haven't changed over the years either.

That said, I do hope he shows a bit more fast drumming in other songs (and I'm sure he will) on the album.

Definitely. The presence of double bass is usually an indicator of some faster drumming. I just hope the double bass dosnt sound tacked on just for the sake of being heavy.

Well with "the drums feel as heavy as they should" I simply meant that the mix seems pretty good to me. Actually better than I expected.

The initial kick into the chorus is huge, it goes downhill after that IMO.

Just personal preference anyway. Not really a big thing for me as I don't think I'll find myself listening to the song much.

You know, maybe I'm being harsh, I don't like the song enough to care that much really so whatever I guess...

I'm gonna stop trying to nit pick and just wait until I can hear it in the context of the album.

Context will help here, however it's funny to me how everyone has said that in the past about the first released tracks that they don't like, and often it doesn't pay off.

Context will help here, however it's funny to me how everyone has said that in the past about the first released tracks that they don't like, and often it doesn't pay off.

We'll I'm feeling somewhat ambivalent about it right now so if I give it time then re-visit that usually helps me decide on things like this.

I remember my horror when I first heard Undisclosed Desires! :LOL:

Context didn't help much but I didn't dislike it as much after a while. Personally I find Psycho to be mostly awful, but I don't have a problem with other people liking it. If there was a sergeant-less version, I might be able to listen to it seriously. Not sure though, just doesn't do anything for me. Will see if the rest of the album is an improvement.

I remember my horror when I first heard Undisclosed Desires! :LOL:

Context didn't help much but I didn't dislike it as much after a while. Personally I find Psycho to be mostly awful, but I don't have a problem with other people liking it. If there was a sergeant-less version, I might be able to listen to it seriously. Not sure though, just doesn't do anything for me. Will see if the rest of the album is an improvement.

Someone on Reddit of all places made a sergeant-free version and it really does improve the whole thing more than you'd think.