I think the maple cap was always special order, Rosewood was standard up to the first few years of CBS, but i'd have to look up details beyond there. That's a period i'm not that familiar with, basically anything with a 3-bolt, micro-tilt is a mystery to me.

Did the guitar not already have the foam shims? If they still make those rubber/foam mousepads, it's that sort of material that you need. But I do know that they sell pre-cut shims (probably for more than a full mousepad)

I've heard about it rotting the wood as well, but I don't know if it's really a risk. I've not had that happen on any on mine (as far as I'm aware)

If you're really concerned, just get one of those things that measures humidity. I forgot what they're called, but I've got one (purely to keep the fret ends happy, as I don't actually have any acoustics to worry about)

Yeah definitely. Twice a year seems fine, even for the ones that seem really dry.

I'll look into the humidity thing. I got some super glue for the bushings and the pickup seems to stay in place now. Used some leftover springs I had from other stuff that are in better shape in the old ones.

Did you order your BKP with the allen heads, James? I didn't know you would do that. I think mine would look great with those in black :$

Jaicen, how hard is it to change the pole screws on P90's?

I'll look into the humidity thing. I got some super glue for the bushings and the pickup seems to stay in place now. Used some leftover springs I had from other stuff that are in better shape in the old ones.

Did you order your BKP with the allen heads, James? I didn't know you would do that. I think mine would look great with those in black :$

Super easy, assuming the threads are the same pitch and diameter. You literally just unscrew the old ones and screw the new ones in place. The bottom plate is threaded and it's not thick so be careful not to strip the thread, otherwise you're good.

I hope not, they're okay but still a bit rough around the edges.

Needs more animated, but they're unobtainum now.

I think the maple cap was always special order, Rosewood was standard up to the first few years of CBS, but i'd have to look up details beyond there. That's a period i'm not that familiar with, basically anything with a 3-bolt, micro-tilt is a mystery to me.

Interesting.. you see loads more 70s strats with maple fretboards, no? Although, my knowledge in old Fenders seems to be somewhat limited compared to yours!

Yeah, though they offered them to me after I ordered, and it's not listed as a standard option.

For what it's worth, the neck P90 in mirror MoC originally had black allen bolts, but because so many other things were changed, I had Mansons put some nickel screws in. Seems to be a good fit.

Super easy, assuming the threads are the same pitch and diameter. You literally just unscrew the old ones and screw the new ones in place. The bottom plate is threaded and it's not thick so be careful not to strip the thread, otherwise you're good.

Is it true that you have to do one at a time? I swear I read something about the screws holding part of it together.

I'd be impressed if you could undo 6 screws simultaneously, but then mod powers, so who knows. And no, I most p90's have two bolts holding the bobbins together from underneath I think?: at least BKP, Gibson and Duncan's do.

It's true. Once you become a mod, you acquire loads of useful superpowers... like reading barcodes.

But what I meant was taking all six out, and then putting all six new ones in. Rather than taking one out, replacing that, then taking the next one out, replacing that, and so on.

Thanks guys. Perhaps one of these days I'll attempt to put allen bolts on these since they look so cool.

James, hayjackk or anyone with the HD500X (or another modeler) - have you tried using the Fuzz Factory with it (with the FX Loop maybe)? Would that work?

James, hayjackk or anyone with the HD500X (or another modeler) - have you tried using the Fuzz Factory with it (with the FX Loop maybe)? Would that work?

I don't have any kind of modeler, but it should be fine going into the input. I wouldn't use it in the effects loop, as the FF generally likes being right after the guitar.

I feel like Gibson are marketing themselves into a hole having 'model years' and stuff.

There's no need really, who else does it? Just announce new stuff occasionally, then churn out the core stuff like fender does. Guitars aren't like cars, it's not necessary to have the latest and greatest bumpf.

I feel like Gibson are marketing themselves into a hole having 'model years' and stuff.

There's no need really, who else does it? Just announce new stuff occasionally, then churn out the core stuff like fender does. Guitars aren't like cars, it's not necessary to have the latest and greatest bumpf.

Yeah true. Especially since they appear to be going back to the older designs, just with more confusing names and not-as-nice finishes.

Also, is this how you use a treble booster? Sounds nothing like Brian May

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF-LTUjHYck

1:38 and 3:27

Good lord, someone needs to take their license away. Why would you plug a treble booster into a bright amp? Makes no sense unless you want to use it for skinny guitar effects on no boost. I put a Rangemaster into a Fender Deluxe reissue once, just to see... :facepalm:

I wish I could read Korean, I wonder if they're like oriental Captain and Chappers?

gibson 2017 models:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/gibson-usa-2017

No comment on those new models, but at least it's not like the 2015 line. #innovation

I definitely agree with Jaicen about the model year thing. There's no need to own a 2016 AND a 2017 LP Classic, for example, as they aren't much different from one another.

Have they been doing this yearly model stuff for a while now?

EDIT: I actually quite like this though.

X6ElEH9l.png

Edited by Cider

Good lord, someone needs to take their license away. Why would you plug a treble booster into a bright amp? Makes no sense unless you want to use it for skinny guitar effects on no boost. I put a Rangemaster into a Fender Deluxe reissue once, just to see... :facepalm:

I wish I could read Korean, I wonder if they're like oriental Captain and Chappers?

What IS the correct way to use a treble booster? I had a treble booster a while back (rangemaster based?) and I tried it with an old treble model (non-top boost) AC30.

Then suddenly, I heard the clapping bit of 'we will rock you' coming out of nowhere.

Has anyone here had the pleasure of trying the Lace Alumitone humbuckers? I'm thinking of grabbing a Deathbucker soon because they're mega cheap in terms of pickups and I can still get good high gain from it.

Olly's custom has one, and it sounds really nice. Definitely can do high gain sounds well, which surprised me (considering I've never really heard lace pickups do high gain sounds) and the other thing was how great it sounds with the different volume/tone control settings. All really usable.

edit:

http://www.guitarplayer.com/amplifiers/1017/score-how-ross-davison-ended-up-with-princes-mesaboogie-mark-iic/59475

Damn, even if the amp didn't have that background, it probably would be worth at least twice as much.

Edited by james90

What IS the correct way to use a treble booster? I had a treble booster a while back (rangemaster based?) and I tried it with an old treble model (non-top boost) AC30.

Then suddenly, I heard the clapping bit of 'we will rock you' coming out of nowhere.

Olly's custom has one, and it sounds really nice. Definitely can do high gain sounds well, which surprised me (considering I've never really heard lace pickups do high gain sounds) and the other thing was how great it sounds with the different volume/tone control settings. All really usable.

edit:

http://www.guitarplayer.com/amplifiers/1017/score-how-ross-davison-ended-up-with-princes-mesaboogie-mark-iic/59475

Damn, even if the amp didn't have that background, it probably would be worth at least twice as much.

Sounds like you were using it correctly?

Alternatively, grab a '59 burst, and plug a rangemaster into a JTM45 turned up all the way.

Beano Toanz innit.

Sounds like you were using it correctly?

Alternatively, grab a '59 burst, and plug a rangemaster into a JTM45 turned up all the way.

Beano Toanz innit.

It did to me at least. I don't have anything like Brian May's guitar though, and I'm guessing the switching on that has a lot to do with his sound

Also, any idea how he's got this Marshall setup?

p9DTp3S.jpg

I recall there's something about the channels being internally bridged.

If I had to guess, it's a JCM 800 type master and the same two bright/normal volume controls (but one moved to the top right input jack) with the channels internally bridged in the way that you'd do by plugging the top left input into the bottom right?

Usually I do the bottom left input into the top right.

My guess would be a master volume mod, maybe with a volume control on the internal jumper? That makes more sense to me.

Of course, it could be nothing like that inside.

This is what MB said in an interview. Otherwise, I have no idea.

...100-watt Marshall Super lead that was modified by Matt Wells in New York to permanently link the channels together. He also added a Volume knob for this feature so that I can adjust the amount of gain jumping.

That guy doesn't seem to be around anymore (or he's extremely well hidden), otherwise I'd have bought a 1959HW and taken it to him for the MB mod :rolleyes:

Never noticed before what Matt does at 3:02 here, it's a great performance of TIRO anyway.

Glad you don't mean striking the strings above the nut.

You mean that melody bit that follows his voice? I think those are the same chords he always plays, just he's not strumming them all at the same time like he usually does.