I can hear a difference, covered humbuckers are slightly less sharp in the attack. It's subtle, and right at the top frequencies, but I can hear it. At least, I think I can, I've never done a scientific blind test!

're: Target bursts, big head,pearl dots with a gold 'transition' logo is correct for very late '65.

The thick black logo came in around '68.

If there's a difference, I wouldn't know. There are too many other things changing the sound at the same time.

I don't remember what dot inlays it had, but it was advertised as a '65 and had the big headstock and transitional logo. Exactly like this.

67c1bffddd6798a7d7763ca0b82a002c.jpg

I love the look of those ones. I recall they had it for £10k, but no idea whether or not that's a good price, as I'm not sure if that guitar would be considered pre or post CBS. Probably post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PVjcIO4MT4

Also, any idea as to what the other sunburst guitar in back of him is? There's a strat, but also some other guitar without the rear cavity, so it must be something else...

sometimes all of us need to take a moment, and ask ourselves... what would Bs do?

Might put that as a new signature, haha!

That's assuming I might pop on a bit more if I go through with a new guitar, I suppose.

If he has control over the photos, why did he let them get become public in the first place?

Remember who we're talking about here. Even if he could magically make those photos vanish from existence, how does he stop the jokes that are associated with them?

I feel like these fat jokes are a thing because it's Axl Rose... not so much because he is/was overweight. Surely at this point, he'd learn how to handle being made fun of because of how he behaves on stage...

Also, anyone who can help with wiring:

tv2eGCD.jpg

Anything look out of place there? It has some ground noise that goes away when touching the strings, but I can't actually find anything wrong... unless the wire that goes to the bridge posts isn't making good contact, in which case, I have a bit of a problem to deal with...

snip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PVjcIO4MT4

Also, any idea as to what the other sunburst guitar in back of him is? There's a strat, but also some other guitar without the rear cavity, so it must be something else...

Not sure to be honest, Wasn't the Miami festival the one that was rained off?

Aren't there some nice pro-photos of this knocking about that could help? The guitars may not even be Jimi's, as it was a festival they could be leftover from an earlier band.

They're not his Amps either I think they were hired in, I know that he was complaining about the amps and mic's during the performance.

EDIT: Regarding the wiring, it looks like there's no proper earth for the volume pot. It's earthing via the jack to the shielding, via the switch body. Put a proper ground wire in from the Pot body to the jack earth and see if that helps.

Edited by Jaicen

I was going to say that the tone pot does not look properly grounded. What I would do is get the multi-meter out on the continuity setting. Put one probe on the ground sleeve of the jack, and then touch all components and make sure everything is connected to ground. The frame of the switch, casing of both pots, the bridge of the guitar,

Thanks, I didn't realize that about the tone pot.

I think it might be a connection, as it seemed loads better after putting it back together. Not sure, but will check it again.

Jaicen, the volume pot is grounded to the output jack ring (through the shield of the grey wire). Difficult to see though, as it does look like it's going to the body of the switch.

No idea about the Hendrix stuff. I'm pretty sure most of that gear is his, but not sure about that Marshall head, as it's a tremolo model. I'd imagine the sound city amps are his, as he used those pretty frequently around that time.

Actually, I was just looking for pictures of that sound city amp, and found not only that, but probably what the other sunburst guitar was.

jimi_sc.jpg

Maybe the tremolo amp is his... looks like the same amp in that picture

Typed out the question in a PM for James but I'm not sure if I hit sent :facepalm: so I guess I'll just ask everyone who owns a guitar with the Sustainiac:

What are the 2 mini-toggles? They look to me like they're both 2-way toggles - is that correct? The Sustainiac website lists the options as 2 way for ON/OFF and 3 way for NORMAL/ MIX/ HARMONIC, so I'm not sure which's which.

Typed out the question in a PM for James but I'm not sure if I hit sent :facepalm: so I guess I'll just ask everyone who owns a guitar with the Sustainiac:

What are the 2 mini-toggles? They look to me like they're both 2-way toggles - is that correct? The Sustainiac website lists the options as 2 way for ON/OFF and 3 way for NORMAL/ MIX/ HARMONIC, so I'm not sure which's which.

If it's like the Fernandes sustainer, the left-most toggle (when playing the guitar) has a middle position that acts as the mix setting.

Thanks you two :D Has anyone seen a guitar with black mini-switches. Alan from Sustainiac says he only has chrome switches and that would destroy my whole blackout theme .__.

You can just use black DPDT mini switches instead of the ones they give you, they're the same.

You can just use black DPDT mini switches instead of the ones they give you, they're the same.

Gotcha.Alan (sustainiac guy) told me that the on off switch is a ON/ON DPDT non-shorting switch. I only found a normal black ON/ON DPDT one, not non-shorting though. :facepalm:

Yeah the one on the left is squealy sounds down, mixed in the middle and normal up. Then the one on the right is on and off.

That's how the Fernandes is, but I swear I've got a Sustainiac with the harmonic switch the other way around.

That's how the Fernandes is, but I swear I've got a Sustainiac with the harmonic switch the other way around.

My Sustainiac works the same way as my Fernandes but now that you mention it I think I've seen a video where it was the inverse on a Sustainiac. Maybe it's just how Mansons wired my glitter MA?

Saw something interesting the other day - a bass player who removed all tone control and volume control because, and wired his bass up straight to the jack, only adding a killswitch in there. Result: toan.

Pretty sure that's similar to the blower switch. It basically adds a switch that can completely bypass your controls (not really necessary to remove them completely)

Seems like it could come in handy for rhythm and lead sounds if you like using your volume control for that.

My Sustainiac works the same way as my Fernandes but now that you mention it I think I've seen a video where it was the inverse on a Sustainiac. Maybe it's just how Mansons wired my glitter MA?

No idea. I think most are the same as the fernandes anyway.

You can always just loosen the nut, turn the switch 180 degrees and re tighten it.

Tried the metal zone today.

It definitely has that digital (?) sound as someone said, but with a strat and 1959, it's pretty close to what's in that video. Took a bit of time messing with the two volume controls though... more than it did dialing in the actual pedal :erm:

Also tried it with an OR120, and it sounded completely different, so I think the rest of the setup matters a lot.

Tried the metal zone today.

It definitely has that digital (?) sound as someone said, but with a strat and 1959, it's pretty close to what's in that video. Took a bit of time messing with the two volume controls though... more than it did dialing in the actual pedal :erm:

Also tried it with an OR120, and it sounded completely different, so I think the rest of the setup matters a lot.

I called it "transistory".

But yeah, you can definitely hear its a Metal Zone in that video. Real shame I never got to try it with the Super Bass.

13405374_10209094403695200_1924131292_o.jpg?oh=587405997f3a507996ecc49a03c01b0f&oe=575BAB75

Giving these another go after our strings conversation the other day. Already impressed with the acoustic strings - I'd never used Elixirs on acoustic - haven't had a chance to play them on the electrics yet but have a day off uni tomorrow so will have a good go on them.