Errrr they are used for pretty much everything. When Hendrix was using them they were regarded as a "surf guitar" and only good for that...

Personal opinion though. I pick up a strat and really struggle to play anything that isn't funky or bluesy to be honest. Every guitar out there is used for pretty much everything but it doesn't always mean that every guitarist would is it for everything.

There was a really nice Classic 60's one with a rosewood board so dark it looked ebony (albeit twas dry as fffff :mad:) that I liked.

Except the damn guitar was lake placid blue

:facepalm:

Guitar Center has this exclusive Strat with a one-piece rosewood neck which was pretty cool too though. I saw a red one, but hey, look, this one is your color James! http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Limited-Edition-American-Standard-Stratocaster-with-Rosewood-Neck-Electric-Guitar.gc

fender-ltd-ed-american-strat-rosewood-1200-80.jpg

[YT]

[/YT] Edited by Cider

There was a really nice Classic 60's one with a rosewood board so dark it looked ebony (albeit twas dry as fffff :mad:) that I liked.

Except the damn guitar was lake placid blue

:facepalm:

Guitar Center has this exclusive Strat with a one-piece rosewood neck which was pretty cool too though. I saw a red one, but hey, look, this one is your color James! http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Limited-Edition-American-Standard-Stratocaster-with-Rosewood-Neck-Electric-Guitar.gc

fender-ltd-ed-american-strat-rosewood-1200-80.jpg

[YT]

[/YT]

Massive want, but why is it so cheap?

Also, regarding Strat colours: 50's sunburst > LPB>Olympic white>everything else.

target burst is my color.

mainly because no one else wants it!

That thing has a rosewood neck, fat50's and a two point trem. I'd say it's a bit of a bargain.

Yeah, for what it is, that isn't too bad.

Jelo. I'm lusting after a CS '56 I played recently. Beautiful aged fat neck on it, but no monies sadly :(

I don't actually know the model name of this one, but I got the full spec anyway. It's not based on a specific year or anything - definitely a more modern take on the strat.

This one has the 10/56 neck, which I gather is V shape, and pretty large overall. Definitely prefer the V shape necks over anything else, but not sure how different this is from what I'm used to.

Also, the chrome plating on a couple of my guitars' pickups are fading a bit (probably due to humidity). Not sure if this is just on the surface or not, but any advice on polishing it back up?

I don't actually know the model name of this one, but I got the full spec anyway. It's not based on a specific year or anything - definitely a more modern take on the strat.

This one has the 10/56 neck, which I gather is V shape, and pretty large overall. Definitely prefer the V shape necks over anything else, but not sure how different this is from what I'm used to.

Also, the chrome plating on a couple of my guitars' pickups are fading a bit (probably due to humidity). Not sure if this is just on the surface or not, but any advice on polishing it back up?

Yeah, the one I'm loving supposedly has a 10/56 neck, but i'm not sure. It feels too fat and too early 50's somehow. There's a Nocaster at the same shop which has a '50's C' neck, that's very similar so the spec sheet for at least one of them is wrong.

Regarding the chrome, have you tried Coke (as in the cola drink, not, you know..). Apparently it can bring back the shine. Toothpaste may also work, but personally, i'd pick up some proper chrome polish. Typically though if it's pitted, i'd say leave it and enjoy the patina. Wait, on your pickups? As in the polepieces or are we talking humbucker covers? In which case, just replace them!

Yeah, the one I'm loving supposedly has a 10/56 neck, but i'm not sure. It feels too fat and too early 50's somehow. There's a Nocaster at the same shop which has a '50's C' neck, that's very similar so the spec sheet for at least one of them is wrong.

Regarding the chrome, have you tried Coke (as in the cola drink, not, you know..). Apparently it can bring back the shine. Toothpaste may also work, but personally, i'd pick up some proper chrome polish. Typically though if it's pitted, i'd say leave it and enjoy the patina. Wait, on your pickups? As in the polepieces or are we talking humbucker covers? In which case, just replace them!

Apparently this is V shape, but I'm guessing it's just larger than usual.

On the humbucker covers. Not tried that, probably would just end up spilling it inside the guitar :facepalm: I'll probably get some chrome polish, but I did use some of that Mansons finish restorer on the works 001 with good results

13245374_10154020921925944_8405861904724516355_n.jpg?oh=50033f420b026f8a29fe5b7a05a08115&oe=57C18223

13240055_10154021088360944_2204003696777456400_n.jpg?oh=f141252732dc8547dcc97c49d7e2091b&oe=57C66EC7

Of course, that's a different material. I used naphtha to get the grime off, then the finish restorer, then a tiny bit of naphtha again... but I'm guessing the chrome plating on the pickups might be a bit more sensitive, and the finish restorer would be enough

Is it the one you're buying in the UK and bringing back later this month?

Yeah, I loved the Clapton V-shape neck I played earlier. Felt great and the satin finish was so smooth.

Is it the one you're buying in the UK and bringing back later this month?

Yeah, I loved the Clapton V-shape neck I played earlier. Felt great and the satin finish was so smooth.

Which one? I had plans for two different ones...well, three, but we don't talk about the third one.

Still a gorgeous guitar. :)

Edit - :LOL:

Got distracted before pressing the submit button, hence the delay. :chuckle:

I can't remember if you were still browsing frequently this time last year, but I actually went in again planning to order the 7 string version of that guitar.

Well, I got further than I did in 2013. I actually managed to show them the spec.

I don't think I will have it built, even though I'm going again later this month. But keeping that in mind, sometimes all of us need to take a moment, and ask ourselves... what would Bs do?

Well.

I'm off to finish writing my novel, and then I'll send my spec to Mansons I guess.

target burst is my color.

mainly because no one else wants it!

What's the difference between target burst and normal 3-color sunburst?

What do you guys think of this? It's an FSR a couple of years ago, with a metallic 3-color sunburst and anodized pickguard. Oh and a V-neck :rolleyes:

4_a0bb41a3-4765-48db-9661-2444f04eac13.jpg?v=1456173716

[YT]

[/YT]

I think either this or the rosewood neck will be my next guitar. Leaning towards this simply for the neckshape though

James, what are the 2 guitars we do talk about? :ninja: I'm guessing the third one is a secret Manson :ninja:

Edited by Cider

Target burst usually refers to a later, less translucent finish with 3 clearly defined bands of colour.

Around 1968(?), fender switched to Alder for its bursts, whereas before they were ash. The finished became less translucent so they could use less attractive woods.

Target burst usually refers to a later, less translucent finish with 3 clearly defined bands of colour.

Around 1968(?), fender switched to Alder for its bursts, whereas before they were ash. The finished became less translucent so they could use less attractive woods.

Seemed like the BEST target bursts were from around 65/66. There was a lovely target burst from 1965 in vintage and rare guitars a few years ago... but I don't know if it was legit or not, because they said it was a '65, yet it had one of the larger headstocks (still with the older logo though)

Do you think there were any guitars from that year that had the later specs?

Gotcha. Thanks :D

So anyone with experience with the MBK-2 - how much sonic difference is there between the uncovered version and the covered one?

Very little I'd say. I never take pickup covers into consideration for sound - only for looks.

Gotcha. Thanks :D

So anyone with experience with the MBK-2 - how much sonic difference is there between the uncovered version and the covered one?

I can hear a difference, covered humbuckers are slightly less sharp in the attack. It's subtle, and right at the top frequencies, but I can hear it. At least, I think I can, I've never done a scientific blind test!

're: Target bursts, big head,pearl dots with a gold 'transition' logo is correct for very late '65.

The thick black logo came in around '68.