Anyone tried a Laney VC15 since they shifted production to China and stopped putting Jensens in them? I used to have one years ago, and was considering buying another one, but just found out about the changes in production.

Nah, but I just looked, and I can't find out what speaker they currently ship with. I can see from the picture it's not a jensen at least.

Is the speaker difference supposed to be the only change? If not, I'd be more concerned with the actual amp. Same with how Marshall completely redesigned the DSL series when they moved production to Vietnam (not saying it's good or bad as I haven't tried them)

Nah, but I just looked, and I can't find out what speaker they currently ship with. I can see from the picture it's not a jensen at least.

Is the speaker difference supposed to be the only change? If not, I'd be more concerned with the actual amp. Same with how Marshall completely redesigned the DSL series when they moved production to Vietnam (not saying it's good or bad as I haven't tried them)

It seems to be a generic HH speaker they're using now (same one from the Cub amps). But yeah, I'm trying to find out if that's the only difference - I can always replace the speaker, but if there's other things going on I'm probably going to be a bit cautious about putting money down.

They seem to have dropped in price too, so I'm wondering if they've made other changes to justify that.

Btw, I did a bunch of cap comparison when I rewired the red guitar. There are differences, but they're so subtle I wouldn't notice them unless I was really really listening for it.

I guess caps only matter in high end amps?

It seems to be a generic HH speaker they're using now (same one from the Cub amps). But yeah, I'm trying to find out if that's the only difference - I can always replace the speaker, but if there's other things going on I'm probably going to be a bit cautious about putting money down.

They seem to have dropped in price too, so I'm wondering if they've made other changes to justify that.

I didn't think HH speakers were bad (not a name brand like celestion or whatever though), but they're probably cheaper than Jensens. I'd imagine the main difference is down to where it's manufactured, but that's probably not the only thing (referring to the amp itself).

Btw, I did a bunch of cap comparison when I rewired the red guitar. There are differences, but they're so subtle I wouldn't notice them unless I was really really listening for it.

I guess caps only matter in high end amps?

Did all the caps measure exactly the same? And what amp are you using? Was that set the same each time? Was the line voltage exactly the same each time you tried it?

etc

But no, you'd be surprised. You can use NOS in amps, but they usually don't sound that great in newer designs I've found. That and they don't measure close to spec, or they just end up exploding due to age.

The usual mallory 150 or sprague orange drops for example are more than good enough for most high end amps. Anything fancier is for the middle aged people on TGP who can hear a difference between a standard power cable and this

http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/catalog/other/powercord/AC-cord-01.htm

/rant

Did all the caps measure exactly the same? And what amp are you using? Was that set the same each time? Was the line voltage exactly the same each time you tried it?

etc

But no, you'd be surprised. You can use NOS in amps, but they usually don't sound that great in newer designs I've found. That and they don't measure close to spec, or they just end up exploding due to age.

The usual mallory 150 or sprague orange drops for example are more than good enough for most high end amps. Anything fancier is for the middle aged people on TGP who can hear a difference between a standard power cable and this

http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/catalog/other/powercord/AC-cord-01.htm

/rant

I picked out the ones that measure the same - so .021 OD, .021 Mallory and .021 Russian PIO. I just ran it through the Firehawk FX into my headphones actually (don't have an amp)

I actually really liked the Mallory and Russian PIO. To my ears the OD was the most obvious one whereas the other 2 were indistinguishable (in a good way). Just put the NOS caps in because they look cool :p For some weird reasons I like the 0 tone to be dark and bassy so I just used a .033 for the bridge and .022 neck:stunned:

So I was noodling around and decided to make this - Psycho intro using the Aftermath & Mississppi Queen (primarily to shush my boyfriend from saying that all guitars sound the same :rolleyes:). Might be helpful for GarJov since he's looking to upgrade his PUPs :happy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcapdArTlpE

They both sound the same to me.....:unsure:

Just joking, but it is pretty subtle with gain like that and stupid little laptop speakers.

I find the difference is often the 'feel' rather than the absolute tone anyway.

Also James, how was your BoringRoadie gig?

It was good - not as stressful as I expected, but I've not done this before, so I wasn't sure what was going to happen either. Main thing I did was unload a bunch of monitors and amps, and take some pictures. Literally only got one decent shot, and the rest all turned out dark because of the lack of lighting.

They both sound the same to me.....:unsure:

Just joking, but it is pretty subtle with gain like that and stupid little laptop speakers.

I find the difference is often the 'feel' rather than the absolute tone anyway.

Aww. To my ears the AM is noticeably more bassy & warmer and the MQ is a bit twangy on the high notes. I'm guessing the MQ in the Cort would be even brighter with the longer scale and basswood body. I wanna try the NB still :p

So I was noodling around and decided to make this - Psycho intro using the Aftermath & Mississppi Queen (primarily to shush my boyfriend from saying that all guitars sound the same :rolleyes:). Might be helpful for GarJov since he's looking to upgrade his PUPs :happy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcapdArTlpE

Haha aw thanks Cider! :happy:

I'm sort of on the "can't tell because I'm listening on a speaker the size of a termite" :rolleyes:

I think I'll stick with the MBK-2 right now, it seems to be the perfect pickup for me at the moment, maybe I'll save for a MBC-1RS instead, or a Nikon F3 :rolleyes:

Haha aw thanks Cider! :happy:

I'm sort of on the "can't tell because I'm listening on a speaker the size of a termite" :rolleyes:

I think I'll stick with the MBK-2 right now, it seems to be the perfect pickup for me at the moment, maybe I'll save for a MBC-1RS instead, or a Nikon F3 :rolleyes:

heh don't thank me. It was mostly from boredom, but I thought you might be interested since it's the MBK3 and MBK1, lol.

Yeah, I think the NB would be more than good enough for you. Personally I'd save for a custom :rolleyes:

mildly ruined by the security guy who showed us before the gig and spoilt it.

I remember on the Psycho tour show, Matt's tech had to lift the setlist to move some cables, and tilted it right towards us. Not sure if it was intentional, but I didn't see anything at least (while other people were taking pictures with their iPhone 5 to see what was on it)

Also, regarding Weezer, I'm going to have to see what other say about the meet and greet (as in the experience itself)

Other than that, the additional $80 gets you this

Individual Photo with Weezer

Signed Weezer Poster

Commemorative VIP Laminate

First Entry Into Venue

I am surprised that every gig still has these VIP upgrades available. They went on sale last Monday, and there are only 125 for each gig.

I remember on the Psycho tour show, Matt's tech had to lift the setlist to move some cables, and tilted it right towards us. Not sure if it was intentional, but I didn't see anything at least (while other people were taking pictures with their iPhone 5 to see what was on it)

Also, regarding Weezer, I'm going to have to see what other say about the meet and greet (as in the experience itself)

Other than that, the additional $80 gets you this

Individual Photo with Weezer

Signed Weezer Poster

Commemorative VIP Laminate

First Entry Into Venue

I am surprised that every gig still has these VIP upgrades available. They went on sale last Monday, and there are only 125 for each gig.

That's like £55? I'd be all over that!

Going to Andertons in Guilford today to kill time and to try a Chapman guitar. See if the HYPE is real.

Going to Andertons in Guilford today to kill time and to try a Chapman guitar. See if the HYPE is real.

Never mind, it's a tree.

It's impressive either way. I think it came up to $88 plus the actual cost of the ticket (around $75 I think?)

It's weird though. A few years back they had the Muse VIP for the exact same price of $219, but I don't think they had all of that gear on display...if that was the case this time, I wouldn't have paid the extra (unless there was a meet and greet, but still, it would've been a bit more than Weezer)

And is there much hype surrounding those? I can't say I'm that familiar with them, but I don't know what they're like in the UK.

I'm not sure there's a lot of hype, but their channel is very popular. I do enjoy Chappers and Captain Anderton, they make good videos and they're actually making me consider catching Dorje when they play locally, despite the fact that I think they're actually not that good.

So yeah, whatever they're doing it's working.

I always thought they were good "Made to look like a Manson" contender, considering the ML3 is all black with a plain fretboard and has humbuckers.

That being said I actually can't watch much Andertons anymore, it irritates me :rolleyes:

It's weird though. A few years back they had the Muse VIP for the exact same price of $219, but I don't think they had all of that gear on display...if that was the case this time, I wouldn't have paid the extra (unless there was a meet and greet, but still, it would've been a bit more than Weezer)

And is there much hype surrounding those? I can't say I'm that familiar with them, but I don't know what they're like in the UK.

Don't see any appeal in paying mega bucks to get the Muse upgrade, unless you're guaranteed to meet the band, or at least get a signed item.

I have only seen 1 person who wasn't impressed, majority of people love them.

I'm not sure there's a lot of hype, but their channel is very popular. I do enjoy Chappers and Captain Anderton, they make good videos and they're actually making me consider catching Dorje when they play locally, despite the fact that I think they're actually not that good.

So yeah, whatever they're doing it's working.

I think the only reason they can tour in the UK is beacuse of the videos, the music is nothing special. BUT on the other hand, i think Toska (Dorje with no Chappers) are actually pretty good.