• 1 month later...

I'm primarily a bassist, but I've been wanting to get into guitar. Currently, I have an acoustic, but I would like to buy an electric as soon as I'm financially able. :D I figured the MBC-1 would be a good option. For those of you who live in the US, where did you buy your MBC-1? It seems the Manson website itself has a better price than Guitar Center, but shipping's an extra $200. Amazon's got it for around $450, but I'm not sure if buying from there would be a great plan. The main reason Manson seems like a nice deal is because they include a deluxe gig bag, but idc how nice it is anyway

Thanks! :)

I got mine directly from them, but that was before they were readily available over here. I'd just get it from somewhere in the US, especially if you can try it out first. Keep in mind you'll also have to pay import tax and possibly state tax on top of shipping.

• 6 months later...

In terms of the guitar? Absolutely loving it, I'd argue that I prefer it over my EVO which is outstanding considering the price.

I personally would put the MBK-2 in the red MBC for looks, otherwise I don't see myself changing it any time soon.

• 3 weeks later...
Im thinking of buying Cort mbc-1 matt-black with sustainiac upgrade, do you guys/girls think that i should upgrade it with MBK-2 humbucker too or is it a waste of money? :)

I think the stock humbucker sounds pretty decent. I had a MBC-1 a while back with the usual mods (sustainiac, electronics upgrade, etc) but kept the original bridge humbucker.

If you get the guitar and want something brighter, then the MBK-2 would be the way to go. Maybe ask rust_relic, as I sold him that guitar, and he's used it with both pickups.

I think the stock humbucker sounds pretty decent. I had a MBC-1 a while back with the usual mods (sustainiac, electronics upgrade, etc) but kept the original bridge humbucker.

If you get the guitar and want something brighter, then the MBK-2 would be the way to go. Maybe ask rust_relic, as I sold him that guitar, and he's used it with both pickups.

Have you guys had any experience with the Psychopaf PF-1? Looks like it's becoming the eventual replacement for the MBK-2 in Matt's guitars. Just wanted to know the differences in tone/output between them. I'm thinking of upgrading my guitar with either.

Have you guys had any experience with the Psychopaf PF-1? Looks like it's becoming the eventual replacement for the MBK-2 in Matt's guitars. Just wanted to know the differences in tone/output between them. I'm thinking of upgrading my guitar with either.

Yeah I have those in a few of my guitars.

The PF-1 is supposed to be a very bright pickup, but I've found it louder and fuller than the MBK-2. Still very cutting though. I much prefer it over the MBK-2 (which was my favorite for a long time)

Yeah I have those in a few of my guitars.

The PF-1 is supposed to be a very bright pickup, but I've found it louder and fuller than the MBK-2. Still very cutting though. I much prefer it over the MBK-2 (which was my favorite for a long time)

Can it clean up as clear and sparkly as the MBK can? I haven't heard it used like that yet, that's why I've been leaning slightly towards the MBK, but if the psychopaf can do cleans as well as teh mbk i'll get that. :happy:

Can it clean up as clear and sparkly as the MBK can? I haven't heard it used like that yet, that's why I've been leaning slightly towards the MBK, but if the psychopaf can do cleans as well as teh mbk i'll get that. :happy:

Yeah definitely. It's not bass heavy/dark if that's what you're asking - probably the opposite, but not to the point where it's too much. Or thin sounding in some guitars, which I found the MBK-2 to be.

• 3 weeks later...

Really considering getting another cort mbc-1 (sold one) putting gotoh 510 bridge and tuners, sustainer, black custom hardware and order a custom neck. Would that then be exact same as Bellamys? I just prefer the shape of the mbc1 over the Evos. Either that or get a dr-1 ans get it all matt black. Not sure what would be cheaper. Custom necks are £400.

Really considering getting another cort mbc-1 (sold one) putting gotoh 510 bridge and tuners, sustainer, black custom hardware and order a custom neck. Would that then be exact same as Bellamys? I just prefer the shape of the mbc1 over the Evos. Either that or get a dr-1 ans get it all matt black. Not sure what would be cheaper. Custom necks are £400.

Considering the amount of work you'd have done to the Cort, it might be worth initially going for a DR and having upgrades done to that when you could afford them over time. Then again, they may not offer a paint job for the DR since they like to keep their MBs exclusive nowadays. It'd be worth checking with the Guitar Works to see what they can offer.

The quality of a standard Cort is already brilliant, and an upgraded one would be killer. They're very true to Matt's as well.

Ye i was thinking that actually. New Dr - 1 is same spec as matt blacks but olive. But its £2399 so that and £400 for paint job probably. But as you said they might not even do it. Altho if its just matt black anyone could spray it for me. Altho logo on headstock would need to be white. Mmmm

Ye i was thinking that actually. New Dr - 1 is same spec as matt blacks but olive. But its £2399 so that and £400 for paint job probably. But as you said they might not even do it. Altho if its just matt black anyone could spray it for me. Altho logo on headstock would need to be white. Mmmm

Judging by MGW's facebook page, they won't produce a guitar for the public that is the exact specification of Matt's Touring Guitars. I saw someone ask for a MB1 Black Knight without the Floyd, and they got told no. So you could have a problem with having the DR-1 painted matt black. Anyway, the original olive paint finish and letters are what give the guitar it's model name, so they could get a bit iffy about that. :(

Someone already found out that they're not willing to refinish the DR-1s.

As for the cort, you can't get a custom neck on those. Olly had his spare MB-1 neck he wanted to use on his MBC-1, and it doesn't actually fit that guitar.

With the DR route, having someone else do the paint job would be your only option. I don't think I could trust anyone else with that sort of job on a Manson. And yeah, the headstock logo would be a problem. It would probably have to be reapplied and there might be some sort of legal problems with that (or maybe none at all, I'm not sure.)

I think the Cort would be your best bet, though. They seem great. Or you could always go for an MA-25 and have something more personalised to your tastes :ninja:

Someone already found out that they're not willing to refinish the DR-1s.

As for the cort, you can't get a custom neck on those. Olly had his spare MB-1 neck he wanted to use on his MBC-1, and it doesn't actually fit that guitar.

They wouldn't even offer me a matte black finish rather than a Santa finish for my MB, which was a bit bizarre. It seems they're even more strict with their signature models nowadays.

Wait, how on earth has Olly ended up with a spare MB-1 neck? :LOL:

Edited by Guest

To be honest, I really don't understand why you'd buy a cheaper guitar and then spend that much on upgrades for it. If you're going to spend that much, just get a Manson anyway? I'm getting the impression that this is all about the MB shape, but the MAs are brilliant guitars.

On the above point, I remember hearing them say ages back that legally (or something), they have to ship the signature guitars as per the agreed spec. You could then get them modified later on or something, but you'd have to get it in its original form first. I guess the point is that they're agreed within a certain spec and they're not supposed to be custom MBs that are then available to everyone whatever they want. Unless that's changed?

They wouldn't even offer me a matte black finish rather than a Santa finish for my MB, which was a bit bizarre. It seems they're even more strict with their signature models nowadays.

Wait, how on earth has Olly ended up with a spare MB-1 neck? :LOL:

Well they're not doing any of the others in black, so it wouldn't make sense to do just one.

It's from when he had his MB-1 modified. The neck was replaced with one of a different spec, so the original one is going spare.

To be honest, I really don't understand why you'd buy a cheaper guitar and then spend that much on upgrades for it. If you're going to spend that much, just get a Manson anyway? I'm getting the impression that this is all about the MB shape, but the MAs are brilliant guitars.

On the above point, I remember hearing them say ages back that legally (or something), they have to ship the signature guitars as per the agreed spec. You could then get them modified later on or something, but you'd have to get it in its original form first. I guess the point is that they're agreed within a certain spec and they're not supposed to be custom MBs that are then available to everyone whatever they want. Unless that's changed?

I get the same impression, but I get the feeling they still won't modify the DR-1s with a black finish, as it will be far too close to the tour spec guitars.

Makes most sense to wait for a right handed version of the DH-1. That's what I'm doing. :erm:

Or I could be hipster and learn to play opposite handed like nerd herd does.