Yeah, internal sustainer and internal fuzz factory just don't work well together. It's the same on my custom. You can get around it with an external fuzz pedal obviously, but yeah, you do lose a bit of convenience when you want to use both within the guitar. Though to be honest, the sustainer on my custom isn't all that good anyway because the intensity had to be turned so far back due to the aluminium. Still works well in certain circumstances, just not as well generally as it should do.

Thanks for the feedback.

I suppose then the problem is the same with internal fuzz. I didn't say but my FF is not onboard. But the problem is the same. It happens when my FF is right after the guitar.

I suppose it has something to do with the impedance like somebody already said.

Using a buffered pedal before the FF changes the impedance going (or coming?) from the FF and that's enough for the sustainer to work. The same thing I suppose happens with turning down the volume of the guitar. The impedance changes and the sustainer works.

But I'm probably wrong. Don't know much about these things...

Thanks anyway.

More feedback is welcome!

Cheers

Hi!

Since I tried it I started to wonder if that's the workaround Matt uses since he still uses the keeley fuzz pedal I think.

The problem is, Matt doesn't have any guitars with both the FF and sustainiac on them at the same time anymore, and I don't think he's ever had both turned on in any case either.

The problem is, Matt doesn't have any guitars with both the FF and sustainiac on them at the same time anymore, and I don't think he's ever had both turned on in any case either.

Hi.

You're right! Didn't remember to check that...

That's the conclusion I got a while ago. Since some guys were debating the use of FF in some live sounds.

It's quite clear in a video of New Born that right before he starts playing the intro riff and after the transition from the piano where he does all the squeaky sounds that he turns off the switch of the FF (if turning up the switch means off).

Anyways... since we have so many fans and guitar players around here maybe some could figure out how to get both to work at the same time.

I have an alternate fuzz sound from a POD that I use and I like it but it doesn't have the definition of notes and the punch you get from the FF.

Cheers

The workaround from nerd herd works. I tried with a crybaby buffered in front of the FF and the sustainiac came back on but it introduced a lot more noise to the signal.

The extra noise might depend on how the pedal's set. The same thing (not with a wah though) doesn't add any noise for me. Try it with the gate on the ff turned up quite high, that might make it quieter.

It's quite clear in a video of New Born that right before he starts playing the intro riff and after the transition from the piano where he does all the squeaky sounds that he turns off the switch of the FF (if turning up the switch means off).

Guessing you mean something like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XxeiIdCLVk

That's probably just the VH4 rather than another fuzz pedal.

Great, thanks! That's what I thought but I got confused when I read somewhere that every guitar brand uses different sized nuts and washers.

Hold on, now that I'm thinking about it, the stock pots and jack might've both been metric :facepalm: can you take one of the knobs out, unscrew that and see if it would fit the jack plate? i'm really sorry about that

Hold on, now that I'm thinking about it, the stock pots and jack might've both been metric :facepalm: can you take one of the knobs out, unscrew that and see if it would fit the jack plate? i'm really sorry about that

No problem dude! I appreciate the help! I've ordered a pack with different sizes, so I'm hoping one of them will fit.

I'm not too keen on unscrewing more parts since I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing (this is my first guitar, I've been playing bass for years but never had to repair or fix anything on my basses). For what it's worth, the knobs do pretty much perfectly fit the "indentation" on the jack plate.

Thanks again for the help!

The extra noise might depend on how the pedal's set. The same thing (not with a wah though) doesn't add any noise for me. Try it with the gate on the ff turned up quite high, that might make it quieter.

Guessing you mean something like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XxeiIdCLVk

That's probably just the VH4 rather than another fuzz pedal.

Hi.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately I already tried messing around with the knobs. My luthier told me the same thing.

The noise from the FF after the Wah or any pedal is seriously increased. Only turning the gate all the way up I can get the noise to go away but alters the tone too much and I can't put it to oscillate any more.

And that's exactly the video I mentioned.

What troubles me is especially Plug in Baby because it seems the FF is always on and it seems that he uses the sustainiac during the verses...

Same with SMBH.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. More are welcome.

Cheers

Hi.

And that's exactly the video I mentioned.

What troubles me is especially Plug in Baby because it seems the FF is always on and it seems that he uses the sustainiac during the verses...

Same with SMBH.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. More are welcome.

Cheers

Except he DOESN'T use the sustainiac for PiB, he doesn't even have a guitar with both the sustainiac and FF in it. It is true though that he keeps his sustainers on for SMBH, but what does that have to do with anything?

Except he DOESN'T use the sustainiac for PiB, he doesn't even have a guitar with both the sustainiac and FF in it. It is true though that he keeps his sustainers on for SMBH, but what does that have to do with anything?

I guess you're right... I rewatched some videos from early 2000's and in fact most of the guitars he used for PiB didn't have the sustainer.

Then I went to check all guitars in the wiki site and in fact found only one guitar with both circuits installed (judging the wiki is correct). The 007 which was not even used live...

I mentioned SMBH because I always thought he used the FF for that big fat sound and he uses the sustainiac alot. Guess not...

Nevertheless I was hoping I could put the two working together because I have a lot of sounds with fuzz but i'm not using the FF because of the problem. I'm using a great fuzz from the POD HD but if I could use the FF it would sound even better.

Cheers

I guess you're right... I rewatched some videos from early 2000's and in fact most of the guitars he used for PiB didn't have the sustainer.

Then I went to check all guitars in the wiki site and in fact found only one guitar with both circuits installed (judging the wiki is correct). The 007 which was not even used live...

007 has been used live but just not for PiB iirc.

I mentioned SMBH because I always thought he used the FF for that big fat sound and he uses the sustainiac alot. Guess not...

He might still be using a FF, but just not one that is mounted on his guitar.

Sustainer and Fuzz Factory should work fine if the Fuzz Factory is not in the guitar, I think?

Nope, at least not for me. Does your fuzz probe work with your guitars? If so, do you have a lot of pedals before the fuzz probe?

I only tried it with the guitar directly into the FF, and that's how I'd run it anyway, as the FF doesn't sound right if you have loads of other pedals before it.

I've definitely used my custom guitar sustainer with my FF7 pedal loads of times with no problem. I can't use the internal FF at the same time as the sustainer though. Fuzz Probe works brilliantly with the MB-1. I haven't really used it with the custom because of the internal FF. I think it works, even if the sound is a bit different because of the piezo circuit.

I've definitely used my custom guitar sustainer with my FF7 pedal loads of times with no problem. I can't use the internal FF at the same time as the sustainer though. Fuzz Probe works brilliantly with the MB-1. I haven't really used it with the custom because of the internal FF. I think it works, even if the sound is a bit different because of the piezo circuit.

Hi!

So as I was discussing it seems you also can't use the sustainer with your internal FF?

But you can use the FF7 directly plugged to the guitar with the sustainer?

With no extra noise when you turn on both and with no loss in the sustained notes?

And your FF7 is original? Not a clone?

That's great! Now I'm curious about that pedal.

Is your sustainer the Sustainiac? or Fernandes sustainer? You mentioned custom.

And have you tried a FF pedal directly to the guitar and with the sustainer?

Cheers

My custom has a sustainiac and there's definitely been no issues using the external pedal there. My MB-1 has the Fernandes but I don't think I've used the FF7 with that - the guitar suits overdrive more for me, but I do have the Fuzz Probe that I've used with it before again with no problems. And yes, they're authentic Zvex pedals. The only problems I've had have been trying to use the internal sustainiac with the internal FF, but I think that's due to the internal power supply as much as anything, and also any combination of FF pedals with Whammy pedals - they just don't like each other.

Hi again.

Sorry to bother but I didn't quite understand.

You said

My custom has a sustainiac and there's definitely been no issues using the external pedal there.

By external you mean the FF7 or the original FF?

And is it connected directly to the guitar? By cable? With no pedal or buffer or whatsoever in between?

If so and if you don't have any issues with the sustainiac that's strange.

I tought the pedals were similar... besides the extras of the FF7.

And you don't have any issues with the FF7 and sustainiac no matter what you do with the knobs in the pedal?

Thanks and cheers!

By external, I mean a pedal on the floor rather than the internal (inside the guitar) circuit. The start of my pedal chain goes:

Guitar -> Polytune -> Zvex Wah Probe -> Zvex Fuzz Probe -> Zvex Fuzz Factory 7 -> Everything else...

I don't have anything else in front of the FF7 on when I'm using it, and I don't change my settings on it I'm afraid, but I've never ever heard any difference whatsoever between the sustainer being on or off when using that pedal, and things like that are normally noticeable if they're there. The normal FF in the guitar is different and you can't use it with the sustainer, but I think that's just to do with interference within the guitar or problems with the battery power supply when turning both on together. I don't know for sure thogh. Hope that makes sense.