Moving forward- EPs?

Alec Ferris

Listening to Broken by Nine Inch Nails recently, I was struck by the thought that if you'd stretched that out to a full album it would've been wearying, but in that compact form it really works. I was thinking, if Muse put out a couple of EPs it would allow them to explore a particular direction in depth without sacrificing variety as they would over a whole album. Anyone's thoughts on whether this would work- and if so, what direction would you want them to attack?

Yeah, I'd like them to do that. In a couple of the albums, it feels like it would've been better with a couple of the tracks left off, this could help solve that by keeping them short and sweet. I'd love them to do an acoustic EP and an electronic EP.

I meant to add they will never put out a cohesive one unless a producer sits them down and tells them to stop messing around :LOL:.

Now if they would just use a producer again...

I can't really see an EP happening, ateast not for a while, but I would love it to happen. A hard hitting, electronicy metaly five track EP would be fantastic.

Only if they put them out more frequently... 5 songs over 3 years is blah.

I DO remember reading that the (non-major label) music industry very well might go to this, to avoid fans getting bored and 'wandering away' in the extensive time it can take bands to put out new music...

I, personally, just don't see Muse being "cohesive" though... and I can't say I'd really want them to be.

Only if they put them out more frequently... 5 songs over 3 years is blah.

I DO remember reading that the (non-major label) music industry very well might go to this, to avoid fans getting bored and 'wandering away' in the extensive time it can take bands to put out new music...

I, personally, just don't see Muse being "cohesive" though... and I can't say I'd really want them to be.

To be clear, I was working on the basis that a few would be released over a couple of years, I'd feel the same about getting that little output over three years.

Imagine they'll break away from Warner and release soley through Helium 3. I'd like to see them release albums at their current pace (although a break would be understandable) and release B-sides and the more progressive stuff on EPs to promote the second and potential third parts of their tours.

Someone suggested remix EPs. Have to admit I'm not sure, don't really rate the remixes I've heard of Muse's work. Although I reckon you could get something good out of it if you got some of this lot involved:

Trent Reznor (remixing something like Screenager or Ruled by Secrecy)

Liam Howlett (Hyper Music remix?)

Burial (I don't know what he'd remix, but it would be awesome)

Four Tet (again not really sure)

Imagine they'll break away from Warner and release soley through Helium 3. I'd like to see them release albums at their current pace (although a break would be understandable) and release B-sides and the more progressive stuff on EPs to promote the second and potential third parts of their tours.

i'd like to see this.. and perhaps release some of their favourite hand-picked gigs/songs that have been played live. Either on digital or on some sort physical release.

In fact id like to see some physical singles being released again. I have the feeling that Follow Me will go the same way as Survival and Madness have, and only be publicly available on digital download. There is probably not much appetite for buying physical releases anymore.

Archived