matthijs

Mine is the EX.

I still haven't read through the manual. First thing I did was try to get the muscle museum sound, but I failed miserably

I was told by a reliable source these were the settings

press effect (it should say p shift) then select p-shift, then the type to harmony 3rd up, key of A (F#m)

I am Jelly, mine is the first version, quite an early one I believe.

Reliable Source?

Well, not really reliable as it didn't sound anything like I thought it would. But then I still don't know how to use the pedal in general

Is the EX better? I was considering getting one of the newer roland pedalboards, but I have to research them a bit more

It's not really better in terms of capabilities, but it's marginally quieter, has more patch storage and has improved analogue input section. Think of it as 20% extra free.

The VG99 is substantially more powerful than the VG8 and loads cheaper even before taking inflation into account. But he VG8 does things a bit different and is pretty cheap now. First thing you need to work out is what EXACTLY do you want to do with the thing?

It's not really better in terms of capabilities, but it's marginally quieter, has more patch storage and has improved analogue input section. Think of it as 20% extra free.

The VG99 is substantially more powerful than the VG8 and loads cheaper even before taking inflation into account. But he VG8 does things a bit different and is pretty cheap now. First thing you need to work out is what EXACTLY do you want to do with the thing?

Hmm fair enough then. I bought the VG-8 because it was cheap (and more matthew), but I can tell that the effects have come a long way since this unit... especially the amp models, which don't really sound any better than the line 6 guitar port I had nearly ten years ago :$

But yeah, I'd be mainly using the effects (probably the more uncommon ones) on one of these rather than the amp models and stuff like that.

Yeah mine is mostly used for dicking about with the polyphonic pitch shifting, bypassing the amps completely as I run it into my custom valve amp. Some of the delay and modulation effects are really nice though, I almost considered switching to a stereo rig to make full use of them.

Edit: All that said, my VG8 is currently languishing in the cupboard.

Yeah mine is mostly used for dicking about with the polyphonic pitch shifting, bypassing the amps completely as I run it into my custom valve amp. Some of the delay and modulation effects are really nice though, I almost considered switching to a stereo rig to make full use of them.

Edit: All that said, my VG8 is currently languishing in the cupboard.

Yeah, I'd be mainly using mine for that sort of thing. Don't need the amp models

on the subject of a stereo rig... i need to figure out this sub octave effect. it's blended with a dry signal, but I have no idea how he had everything setup back then with that wall of amps

6ZEbRMB2qKE

2:03 (and the outro as well, but I think there's a mid boost from the EQ pedal as well)

But I guess I'll be getting one of these. I thought there were a few others, but it looks like this is the only one

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1148/477

I would suggest that it's the VG8 he's using in that clip. Certainly the intro sounds like he is. I think Matt used his as a fancy FX unit, bypassing the amps etc into his Soldano etc..

With regards to Roland's current guitar synths, the GR55 is the only one available new, though there are a lot of GR20's cropping up at bargain prices, which does all the synth stuff pretty much as well, with a wider range of sounds, at the expense of amp/guitar modelling. I will upgrade to the GR55 at some point when they drop in price but right now the disparity is too much.

If you have GR55 money, then buy this right now:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roland-VG-99-VG99-VG-99-V-Guitar-V-Guitar-System-Module-/121188578191?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1c3766f38f

That will do everything you need and it's relatively a bargain.

I would suggest that it's the VG8 he's using in that clip. Certainly the intro sounds like he is. I think Matt used his as a fancy FX unit, bypassing the amps etc into his Soldano etc..

With regards to Roland's current guitar synths, the GR55 is the only one available new, though there are a lot of GR20's cropping up at bargain prices, which does all the synth stuff pretty much as well, with a wider range of sounds, at the expense of amp/guitar modelling. I will upgrade to the GR55 at some point when they drop in price but right now the disparity is too much.

If you have GR55 money, then buy this right now:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roland-VG-99-VG99-VG-99-V-Guitar-V-Guitar-System-Module-/121188578191?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1c3766f38f

That will do everything you need and it's relatively a bargain.

Hmm the GR-55 is only $10 more. I'll have to look into it a bit as I'm not sure what the differences are (is that a MIDI strip? :love: )

Here's a shot of his pedalboard from that gig

1999pedalboard.jpg

I was wrong; the EQ wasn't there yet. There's just the VG-8 with expression pedal, homemade amp switcher, soldano footswitch

There's also a little switch which looks like it's stuck to the top of the VG-8

One of these I think

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/57/482

Between the different outputs on the VG-8, and that homemade amp switcher, I have no idea how he was running things exactly. Pretty sure the fender 4x10 was the wet amp (considering how his setup changed in mid 2000 to have the marshall and fender only)

But when it comes to this sort of thing with four (or more?!) amps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GJTNJzzxNg

No idea

Argh, you make me wanting a roland VG8...Now I'm tempted to mod my pacifica 120 with a gk kit.

About the showbiz gear, In my opinion, it's not very complicated, there are few gigs with only 2 amps. The amp switcher is probably for the dry section, to choose between the soldano and the matchless.

The little footswitch is probably for vocal effects.

I thought the vocal footswitch was that red and black one. I'm pretty sure the one in the picture is the soldano decatone footswitch

2ex25nt.jpg

here's the red and black one. i'm sure some of you have seen it before... seems to have four buttons, but i'm not sure what for

footswitch.jpg~original

edit:

I completely forgot... he ran his vocals through the POD, so it's for that

FB4.jpg

Hi Dom, did you see that jazzmaster/jaguar shaped body in that picture from the works yesterday?

It isn't Jim's apparently, so...

Also, I'm quite excited about this black/blue carbon with gold hardware. Haven't been this excited since Bs' guitar.

Hi Dom, did you see that jazzmaster/jaguar shaped body in that picture from the works yesterday?

It isn't Jim's apparently, so...

Also, I'm quite excited about this black/blue carbon with gold hardware. Haven't been this excited since Bs' guitar.

No I did not what is this!?

This one? http://pic.twitter.com/NP0GOlzRJf

Looks like they're doing big XY pads on customs now :D

No I did not what is this!?

See the post above. I imagine Matt's taking ideas from guitars on here again!

Also, if they are doing the full sized X-Y pads again, that makes a certain E guitar a bit less special.... I think I will have the black X-Y backing put on that one if it's transparent enough

MB-2 SE and 'MA-hogany' this week hopefully :love:

See the post above. I imagine Matt's taking ideas from guitars on here again!

Also, if they are doing the full sized X-Y pads again, that makes a certain E guitar a bit less special.... I think I will have the black X-Y backing put on that one if it's transparent enough

MB-2 SE and 'MA-hogany' this week hopefully :love:

Hole bajeebus, so there is a jazzmaster

gonna sue them

is funni 2 becus sxc jazz may be paying a visit to Mansons soon too

Archived