I dont get why RHCP are massive :$ Never thought much of them.

Yeah, obviously they're more of a pop band nowadays but I'd still call them a rock band really. Pop rock. Pock.

I've always liked Biffy. First discovered them seeing them support Muse in 2007, then my dad downloaded Puzzle and knew a couple of songs off that like Living is a Problem, then OR came out and I became a fan fan. Plus I love Simon's toan, always sounds massive

Yeah, me too, Puzzle got me into them... I only got into the old stuff about 2 years ago, but that shit's mindblowing after a few listens. BS, VOB and Infinity Land are some of my favourite albums ever

I guess you could draw some distinction between mainstream and critically acclaimed. Radiohead would definitely be in the latter at least.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to get at, to me mainstream and well known/critically acclaimed are two separate things. Some acts fall into one or the other, or both

I dont get why RHCP are massive :$ Never thought much of them.

Yeah, me too, Puzzle got me into them... I only got into the old stuff about 2 years ago, but that shit's mindblowing after a few listens. BS, VOB and Infinity Land are some of my favourite albums ever

Took me a couple of listens to get into IL but VoB took me quite a while

There's obviously a muser in the BBC. That shit's everywhere

Definitely :LOL:

and Radiohead are mainstream I'd say

it is a wanky word isn't it

What is critically acclaimed? A good rating on p4k, a good score on metacritic? General positive media coverage?

High praise by both critics and average listeners as well a positive reputation and popularity. Radiohead are a band you could safely drop in almost any music discussion and it'll make your taste look good. They're probably the extreme of acclaim.

Depends on what someone's perception of mainstream is I guess...

Well I judge it by how much radioplay/likes on facebook/album and single charts/general talk/youtube plays/last.fm scrobbles/awards a band gets. I think a few people just make the assumption mainstream is acts like 1D, Kanye West, Rihanna, Calvin Harris etc. all the stereotypical acts with that kind of sound

Well I judge it by how much radioplay/likes on facebook/album and single charts/general talk/youtube plays/last.fm scrobbles/awards a band gets. I think a few people just make the assumption mainstream is acts like 1D, Kanye West, Rihanna, Calvin Harris etc. all the stereotypical acts with that kind of sound

Me too, still don't think Radiohead are a particularly mainstream band though, more like the biggest an indie band can get :LOL: Of course, when Creep exploded they were for a fair while

Sent from my ePhone using Twatatalk

Me too, still don't think Radiohead are a particularly mainstream band though, more like the biggest an indie band can get :LOL: Of course, when Creep exploded they were for a fair while

They are an internationally known band who have spent the majority of their career on a major label.

They are the very definition of mainstream. :facepalm:

They are an internationally known band who have spent the majority of their career on a major label.

They are the very definition of mainstream. :facepalm:

Again, I think there's a difference between being well known and being mainstream, but that's just me.

Sent from my ePhone using Twatatalk

Again, I think there's a difference between being well known and being mainstream, but that's just me.

There is no difference at all.

Just because it's not commercially orientated pop music doesn't mean it can't be mainstream. Radiohead, Muse and Biffy Clyro will have sold more records than a lot of typical top 10 acts.

There is no difference at all.

Just because it's not commercially orientated pop music doesn't mean it can't be mainstream. Radiohead, Muse and Biffy Clyro will have sold more records than a lot of typical top 10 acts.

I never said that that was the case though? This is why I mentioned about the different perceptions of what defines mainstream, obviously we have different views on what it is. To me the mainstream is what you consistently see high up in the charts, what consistently gets played on "mainstream" radio stations and tv channels, i.e. what the majority of people listen to. I've said that already. Radiohead just don't fall into that bracket in my view, can you imagine present/TKoL Radiohead getting consistently played in that way, and charting high? Lotus Flower had a fair bit of recognition at first but it peaked at 165 in the UK chart, how can that be considered mainstream?

I guess what you're saying is that if a band is known throughout the world, or a household name, then they're automatically mainstream? That's just not how I see it.. might possibly (and seemingly so, seeing as no one's agreed with me... :LOL:) make fuck all sense but just my opinion, as always

Right, never saying mainstream again.

Archived