I never said that that was the case though? This is why I mentioned about the different perceptions of what defines mainstream, obviously we have different views on what it is. To me the mainstream is what you consistently see high up in the charts, what consistently gets played on "mainstream" radio stations and tv channels, i.e. what the majority of people listen to. I've said that already. Radiohead just don't fall into that bracket in my view, can you imagine present/TKoL Radiohead getting consistently played in that way, and charting high? Lotus Flower had a fair bit of recognition at first but it peaked at 165 in the UK chart, how can that be considered mainstream?

I guess what you're saying is that if a band is known throughout the world, or a household name, then they're automatically mainstream? That's just not how I see it.. might possibly (and seemingly so, seeing as no one's agreed with me... :LOL:) make fuck all sense but just my opinion, as always

Right, never saying mainstream again.

Lotus Flower is hardly representative of Radiohead's career as a whole and they were very a "mainstream" band in the 90's, chart success, huge media attention, radio & TV airplay and all the rest of it.

Radiohead are overrated.

Nah, a lot of their back catalogue is incredible, like, insane, and live they are absolutely incredible still. TKoL wasn't the best and I think a bit of hype surrounding them went down after that, but I think they're...on-rated? What's inbetween under and over? Normal?

Lotus Flower is hardly representative of Radiohead's career as a whole and they were very a "mainstream" band in the 90's, chart success, huge media attention, radio & TV airplay and all the rest of it.

... "Of course, when Creep exploded they were for a fair while".

I was only really talking about present Radiohead back to perhaps In Rainbows/HTTT. They've had such polar opposite stages in their career that it's hard to sum their whole career up in general other than "good band, critically acclaimed, well known" :LOL: Was never contesting that they were or weren't mainstream in the 90s, they definitely were. But that was in the 90s..

I mean, 90s Radiohead compared to present Radiohead could sound like two totally different bands to someone that had never heard them before, no?

Nah, a lot of their back catalogue is incredible, like, insane, and live they are absolutely incredible still. TKoL wasn't the best and I think a bit of hype surrounding them went down after that, but I think they're...on-rated?

What's inbetween under and over? Normal?

Yeeeeep. And if the new stuff they played on the last tour is anything to go by, their 9th album could be bloody fantastic.

Sorted.

I mean, 90s Radiohead compared to present Radiohead could sound like two totally different bands to someone that had never heard them before, no?

What has that got to do with anything? :wtf:

If Radiohead announced a tour tomorrow, it'll be an arena tour and/or some form of huge venue and it will sell out in seconds, there's no way a band that wasn't "mainstream" could pull that off. In Rainbows still topped the charts and KoL got into the top 10.

And considering Yorke's views on Spotify, he is still very much caught up in the mainstream business model, not DIY or Indie as he likes to portray himself as. Radiohead's last gigs at the O2 were around £70 a ticket as well, certainly not a price an underground band can charge (Nor should anyone be charging that to be honest).

Yeah but authenticity still isn't an objective thing :phu:

Okok I may not have made my point as clear as I should have and I quoted this to then explain but I'm already fed up of LIFEF EKNWJXNASLJXZ

Also "the production in The Captain made it mainstream"

:wtf:

Classic Jamie

My original statement was that Biffy couldnt and wont play stadiums, at least not in the near future

"Near future" as in "next 2-3 years"? Because in that case you'd be quite wrong imo. Not a tour, but they could make a single night stadium gig (just like The Killers last month. Even if not at Wembley).

I was implying it was bullshit. I suppose it is kinda hard to tell through text.

edit: Thats better

:LOL: hate that smiley

My original statement was that Biffy couldnt and wont play stadiums, at least not in the near future

Yeah, and? You still made some other statements. How conversations work enit, start off talking about one thing and they develop

Archived