How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

Has anyone noticed this wierd little beeping sound at about 0:44 when he sings "I'm *bleep* gonna win"? You really need a good sound system or headphones, but I'm always wondering if that's hidden there on purpose.

Oh I hear it now! :LOL: that was hard, good catch! It's at 0:43 in the HD flac.

Oh I hear it now! :LOL: that was hard, good catch! It's at 0:43 in the HD flac.

Hahah, finally after four years on this board I heard something hidden by myself :LOL:.

Survival-Live: I really think the piano sounded a little off in Cologne and the Roundhouse. Also he is really lazy with the vocals. Just like FabriPav said above.

"And I light the fuuuuu

'N I'll never looooo"

Otherwise I really like the song, especially the choirs sound way different with decent sound. I heard the album with some badass senheiser headphones and during that I found that hidden sound :D.

Hahah, finally after four years on this board I heard something hidden by myself :LOL:.

Survival-Live: I really think the piano sounded a little off in Cologne and the Roundhouse. Also he is really lazy with the vocals. Just like FabriPav said above.

"And I light the fuuuuu

'N I'll never looooo"

Otherwise I really like the song, especially the choirs sound way different with decent sound. I heard the album with some badass senheiser headphones and during that I found that hidden sound :D.

About that, it sounds to me like he's not finishing his words because he's struggling to reach the higher notes of the second verse, which causes him to be out of breath. Don't really know anything about singing technique though, so I can't be sure. Sippe? :p

About that, it sounds to me like he's not finishing his words because he's struggling to reach the higher notes of the second verse, which causes him to be out of breath. Don't really know anything about singing technique though, so I can't be sure. Sippe? :p

None of those are really high notes though

I don't understand the hate this track gets... Aside from some silly lyrics, the guitar solos and licks are so powerful, distorted and bassy. It fucking rocks. The way the last guitar solo sounded so mental at the roundhouse (I was there) it was so powerful... It sent crazy vibrations around the building... I swear I thought the walls were gonna collapse. Best track on the album.

None of those are really high notes though

He definitely struggles with the last 'and I'll reveal my strength to the whole human race.' I know that that one's higher than the other lines, but still. Maybe it's just because he's already sung a whole concert by then.

He adds alot of power and vibrato to his overdramatic vocals in Survival which requires alot of air. Since it's towards the end of the gig he's obviously exhausted. That's why he has to cut the words abit short to have time to inhale enough air to continue singing. This will probably become better after some gigs when his voice has gotten used to last for whole gigs.

I don't understand the hate this track gets... Aside from some silly lyrics, the guitar solos and licks are so powerful, distorted and bassy. It fucking rocks. The way the last guitar solo sounded so mental at the roundhouse (I was there) it was so powerful... It sent crazy vibrations around the building... I swear I thought the walls were gonna collapse. Best track on the album.

This. They brought back their heavy sound which was clearly missing on The Resistance. Top track

This. They brought back their heavy sound which was clearly missing on The Resistance. Top track

For me, Supremacy and Survival are competing for the top track on the album as well asi the top track since 2006 - now, Survival still wins - because of the piano intro and prelude - but both are really fantastic...I don't mind the choir and I'm singing the male parts all the time :D

I think it works great as a closer. Those riffs are immense.

Still would be better with a previous album song as a closer but the problem is there wasn't one on the Resistance. People slag it on the sexy train but Knights of Cydonia was born to be an opener or closer. In my opinion I will never tire of a gig ending on a high like that.

Too many people dislike Survival which makes me fear the crowd might be slightly subdued.

Still would be better with a previous album song as a closer but the problem is there wasn't one on the Resistance. People slag it on the sexy train but Knights of Cydonia was born to be an opener or closer. In my opinion I will never tire of a gig ending on a high like that.

Too many people dislike Survival which makes me fear the crowd might be slightly subdued.

Seriously, should they close a gig with the same song FOR THREE FUCKING TOURS? C'mon.

Nope. KoC is a huge live song of course, but not close the gig with it three tours in a row.

If there's one thing Muse should do, is make setlists and gig less predictable. Having KoC there would do the opposite.

Moving everything else around and keeping KoC at the end would do me fine. Plus it's going to be the staple for closing before the encore. So predictability rating is out of the question.

Archived