How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

So Muse told Maverick to go fuck themselves in 2001 but when they were a worldwide hit in 2006 they rolled over for Warner?

Sounds pretty bullshit to me.

Well, they'd had a few issues with Maverick for a while before they eventually told them to fuck off. Warner telling them to cut a song down isn't as bad really, and the band might've agreed with them anyway.

Have never hard that.

Can't remember where I heard it, it was a long time ago but I do remember them saying something along the lines of the album version of Assassin being shorter than the original because they were told it was too long. I could be wrong though.

I can see a pretty clear difference between "that song is too long" and "the US market isn't going to like it if you sing like that" though.

This is all speculation based on something someone may or may not remember reading/hearing.

Also, I would hardly say that the middle section contained vocals that aren't marketable.

So Muse told Maverick to go fuck themselves in 2001 but when they were a worldwide hit in 2006 they rolled over for Warner?

Sounds pretty bullshit to me.

Muse turned down Serj Tankian's offer to release OOS and all post Absolution albums because Sony would be still behind Serjical Strike.

Some time after, they joined Warner's ranks.

Muse turned down Serj Tankian's offer to release OOS and all post Absolution albums because Sony would be still behind Serjical Strike.

Some time after, they joined Warner's ranks.

And that was the best thing that ever happened for them.

This is all speculation based on something someone may or may not remember reading/hearing.

Also, I would hardly say that the middle section contained vocals that aren't marketable.

I would have to dig for the Assassin story, but there's some pretty fantastic and hilarious interviews where Bellamy discusses how the label wanted PIB edited or redone so the album had a "radio single" and clearly points out that his high pitched singing or falsetto was to blame.

Warner is also a pretty big company, so I'd imagine their artists would somewhat have to listen to them, or they could probably make things difficult.

That having been said though, if anything were to happen, Muse could easily pull an In Raibbows-era Radiohead move and distribute the stuff themselves.

Warner is also a pretty big company, so I'd imagine their artists would somewhat have to listen to them, or they could probably make things difficult.

That having been said though, if anything were to happen, Muse could easily pull an In Raibbows-era Radiohead move and distribute the stuff themselves.

I think this will happen with the 8th album, as the contract with Warner will expire after the 7th.

Archived