Muse and Loudness war

dedero

Greetings everybody!

I wanted to ask you regarding "The Ressistance - Deluxe box set"

I found a difference between Vinyl and CD recording, I played the vinyl with this equipment:

- Pioneer PL-540 turntable with a Shure M97xE cartridge and Audio-technica headshell

- Sansui AU-717 amplifier

- Sansui S-50 speakers connected with oxygen-free copper wires

And I played the CD with this equipment:

- CD-Player Sony CDP-S45 connected to amplifier with Monster oxygen-free copper wires

- Sansui AU-717 amplifier

- Sansui S-50 speakers connected with oxygen-free copper wires

I heard closely both recordings and I found the CD quite "noisy" compared with Vinyl sound, mostly in high tones.

Taking apart the discussion between "cd/vinyl, which is better?", somebody experienced this difference?.

Does the CD version a victim of "loudness war"?

Thanks!!

Kind regards,

Bruno.

The mix quality for the resistance is pretty good, especially compared to BHAR. Regarding the vinyl/CD issues, I think vinyl's generally of higher quality, the vinyl counterparts of some CD's that suffer from it don't have the same problems.

The Digital/Vinyl/Tape debate is separate to the "Loudness War" and shouldn't be confused as one & the same.

The "Loudness War" exists in different forms between formats.

What do you mean by more "noisy" though? Digital will be less noisy technically.

• 2 weeks later...
The Digital/Vinyl/Tape debate is separate to the "Loudness War" and shouldn't be confused as one & the same.

The "Loudness War" exists in different forms between formats.

What do you mean by more "noisy" though? Digital will be less noisy technically.

Hey!

You're right, digital/vinyl/tape is not the point, there are separated discussion

With "noisy" I meant saturated, mainly high sounds such cymbals and some guitar riffs, that's what I heard between Ressistance Vinyl and CD

The loudness war can also be describing musicians on stage having their PA's/IEM/Monitors turned up drowning out other instruments.

When all the musicians are turning up their levels at the same time, eventually their ears can suffer from massive sound levels.. a mixer/audio tech's nightmare too.

The loudness war can also be describing musicians on stage having their PA's/IEM/Monitors turned up drowning out other instruments.

When all the musicians are turning up their levels at the same time, eventually their ears can suffer from massive sound levels.. a mixer/audio tech's nightmare too.

Sorry, but there's a load of issues with this post.

IEMs, monitors etc are personal mixes for each individual musician. Wouldn't describe it as a loudness war, just dealing with amateurs.

In regards to live sound, less experienced drummers are likely to get louder throughout a show, meaning amplifiers and monitors mixes might have to be turned up gradually to compensate.

Sorry, but there's a load of issues with this post.

IEMs, monitors etc are personal mixes for each individual musician. Wouldn't describe it as a loudness war, just dealing with amateurs.

In regards to live sound, less experienced drummers are likely to get louder throughout a show, meaning amplifiers and monitors mixes might have to be turned up gradually to compensate.

well i feel so much better for you correcting me.. on point one. depends how the audio is routed and if you have a separate mixing technician, smaller outfits might have their own configuration and have issues dealing with the in-house venue mixer.

point two, its not just drummers that have this issue, it can be any musician with stage based monitors :facepalm:

• 6 months later...

Just listened to BHAR on vinyl. There's such a difference with the CD version! Without being a demo disc, it is a very different experience than on the CD, it sounds way much more natural, you hear those tiny little details you couldn't hear before, some echos, drums that sounds like real drums... I'm telling you, it's a different experience to listen to Muse that way.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESV-P0wZ2TY

Amazing

Also, what program is that everyone's using to get these waveforms?

Also2, what the guy above me said. I can't tell much difference in clipping and waveforms but it is a lot more clear. I never noticed that Hoodoo had distorted vocals and still can't hear it with my regular FLAC files. I noticed it the first time I listened to the vinyl.

Also, what program is that everyone's using to get these waveforms?

Also2, what the guy above me said. I can't tell much difference in clipping and waveforms but it is a lot more clear. I never noticed that Hoodoo had distorted vocals and still can't hear it with my regular FLAC files. I noticed it the first time I listened to the vinyl.

The one in the video is Audacity.

Your last chance has arrived.... BEEEEEST

That version is amazing! Does somebody know where you can find these unmastered tracks as said in the description? Or other muse songs which are already remastered...:D It is too great to miss the experience of listening to muse like this:stunned:

That version is amazing! Does somebody know where you can find these unmastered tracks as said in the description? Or other muse songs which are already remastered...:D It is too great to miss the experience of listening to muse like this:stunned:

Have a browse through Muselive, for example here and here are the B&H tracks. I don't think there are many (if any) other fully 'remastered' songs but there are a ton of separated tracks.

Search around on youtube, think there are some videos with only Matts voice and one with the backing vocals. Those are the two that I have heard.

Have a browse through Muselive, for example here and here are the B&H tracks. I don't think there are many (if any) other fully 'remastered' songs but there are a ton of separated tracks.

Wow thank you very much! that helps a lot:)

Another question.. Does vinyl never suffer from the loudness war or is more or less the same version on CD and vinyl? I never thought about the loudness war but I find it quite sad that you ruin the music with it..

EDIT: Thanks @Alesi08 I'll do that! :)

Isn't it a bit pointless to remaster a track from a youtube video, since youtube has already compressed the audio and has also made it lower quality?

This. You can't compare audio qualities through a youtube video since it compresses everything.

Archived