Human Gear Animato

Allex

Nothing just yet. I built a Russian BMP with the same transistors as the Animated for MORE DEEP! I like the 2SC2240's quite a lot but they have a different pin out. Mainly because it is virtually the same board.

Also working on a tricked out Animated with the clean blend and a few more usable options as well as an overdrive that uses germanium diodes. I haven't decided how to tackle that one too much, I'll use the Christmas period to develop them both. As always though, I'll put schems up if people want to build. I think that's just going to be my policy because clearly people will buy and I have no issues what so ever if people want to make their own. :)

No problems Dave. Just remember, tweak the trimpot the slightest bit from muted until you find the attack sound you like. You can get a deeper and gainier sound by pushing it more. I left a note in the manual for people if they want to do that, because I can understand the attack may be a bit too much. The prototype runs less attack and more gain because I like it to go MENTAL and also because I play though a snappy sounding bass.

If your board doesn't work as well, I can send you one of the hand etched boards. I'm going to contact my relative today and test the laser etcher so I can complete the other 6 pedals. I also need more knobs. Build number 3 is nicknamed the knob killer as I threaded two getting them onto the dist knob. Build number 2 is the beast because it seemed to be the hardest to setup. Great knobs on them, but they aren't easy to get on flush.

Edited by Crowella

I'll say this, let James sum up how it sounds on guitar. I tested it through a guitar with the darkest EMG pickups known to man though my Bass rig and it didn't bring out the attack so I can't really say much about it. Attack is the key word, high pass cut goes with it.?

One thing that has changed since that demo is now it sounds even closer IMO. By dialing the trimpot back, it gets to comparable levels and attack of the original. I wrote in the manuals to tinker with the trimpot if you wish because I'd like to see if people find it better set elsewhere. I've been running the prototype with a louder booster stage which gives it more gain and cuts a little bit of the extreme high end out. Of course, I only figured that out on build one.

Edited by Crowella

I'll say this, let James sum up how it sounds on guitar. I tested it through a guitar with the darkest EMG pickups known to man though my Bass rig and it didn't bring out the attack so I can't really say much about it. Attack is the key word, high pass cut goes with it.?

It's not well suited for guitar at all. I don't know what the pedal was originally designed for, but it's only usable with the distortion turned way down and the tone control at lower settings.

Curious about the Fine DS-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iSGexs1U8o

Maybe I should acquire that and see what's inside :ninja:

Also Chedda, yours is leaving tomorrow whenever I get up and go for a coffee as I just finished wiring it then and it's set and packed! I might try to get another two done tomorrow before work but I'm driving all around the place tomorrow picking up a drum kit for our drummer (why can't they ever drive?)

I managed to make up all the boards today to cover the orders up to date. Takes about an hour each which wasn't so bad. The wires and putting into the cases takes about another 2 hours each. Such a slow process, just not a fan of trying to solder wires to pots. I will definitely have the pre-orders out by Monday. Probably will be quicker at it by then, I want to work on the next version damn it! :p

Maybe I should acquire that and see what's inside :ninja:

Also Chedda, yours is leaving tomorrow whenever I get up and go for a coffee as I just finished wiring it then and it's set and packed! I might try to get another two done tomorrow before work but I'm driving all around the place tomorrow picking up a drum kit for our drummer (why can't they ever drive?)

I managed to make up all the boards today to cover the orders up to date. Takes about an hour each which wasn't so bad. The wires and putting into the cases takes about another 2 hours each. Such a slow process, just not a fan of trying to solder wires to pots. I will definitely have the pre-orders out by Monday. Probably will be quicker at it by then, I want to work on the next version damn it! :p

And this is why you should have designed the board with on-board pots and jacks bro.

True story.

Indeed.

Past experiences put me off on-board pots but that was more because my soldering was awful then. I've never done on board jacks either. Future designs are definitely having on board where possible purely because of this reason. Maybe also putting 3PDT boards in too, but I don't mind wiring them up though. These are all little things that you learn when you do stuff by the (small) masses.

All sent. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah, except yours Matthijs but you know why. ;) That all won't arrive until Monday and I'll have to paint it and do all that jazz. Going to experiment with on board pots for yours. Still struggling with those clear decals, at least the move to a INKJET printer is helping my cause. They're just becoming a bit runny though once printed and the varnish is applied. Practice makes perfect there. Just a matter of finding the right setting.

Finally sorted out a clean blend I like too for the upped pedal. Saves using some chips and uses a JFET, yo! Very close to the old blend now I sorted the phase issues but on top, it saves so much complexity, time and space that it's worth the saving in headaches too. Also acts as a buffer on top, not that I think it really needed it.

Also, someone on YouTube who's reviewed these before has one on the way. :ninja: Actually, it'll be interesting because I want to know if mine is any different to theirs. I may think each of the originals are set up differently too based on what I've had to do to set them up.

Edited by Crowella

As do I. I found the only real difference between mine and the original is in the decay note is deeper/fuller on the clones and that's something I can't tweak with the trim. Can't win them all. I told him about the trimpot too if he wants to match his up even closer to his if he has the patience. I just had my brother hitting certain strings and frets while I tweaked them to match. He seemed really content and he's pretty anal about sound differences.

I think the few guys in the US that ordered first will be getting there ones between Monday and Wednesday. I looked at where James' one is at, seems to be on the final stretch which means I'm very content with the shipping thus far. :)

As do I. I found the only real difference between mine and the original is in the decay note is deeper/fuller on the clones and that's something I can't tweak with the trim. Can't win them all. I told him about the trimpot too if he wants to match his up even closer to his if he has the patience. I just had my brother hitting certain strings and frets while I tweaked them to match. He seemed really content and he's pretty anal about sound differences.

I think the few guys in the US that ordered first will be getting there ones between Monday and Wednesday. I looked at where James' one is at, seems to be on the final stretch which means I'm very content with the shipping thus far. :)

That was quick! I wasn't even expecting tracking updates at this point.

Does the manual explain the trimpot function? I'll probably leave it to be honest, but just wondering.

The manual in regards to the trimpot just refers to "tone" and changing it to better compensate for active/passive instruments. It's set pretty damn low on all of them.

Hmm.. I wonder if I can dial this one in to work better with the JPJ bass, since that has high output actives. The animato definitely sounds better with the other bass I have, which has lower output passive mini humbuckers

The manual in regards to the trimpot just refers to "tone" and changing it to better compensate for active/passive instruments. It's set pretty damn low on all of them.

Shame I took animated for the name, lel. I like the name Wolstenhammer too. :p

"Anime? No."

What a quick postage service. :p

I'm not used to this type of service! Phill was right.

I'll let you know what I think once I drag myself away from this computer find a spare moment. Still waiting on the amp, so I'll have to use something else for now. The bass DI Matthijs recommended doesn't seem to like pedals... that or it's user error.. again

This is the point where I start going all BOUTIQUE and start censoring things as much as possible if things go tits up. Blame you for everything wrong in the world etc. But really, glad the box turned up good. Those padded bags from Aus Post work a treat.

Dave, it's a pretty big effect when you think about it so I can agree that it is a tight fit, hopefully it will all squeeze in.

Here's my rehoused prototype with the Davies knobs and much better jacks. I might go to these because they do fit better and the cost makes building them more worthwhile, especially for something like the big improved version (We're talking ~$1.65 as opposed to ~$14 for 6 knobs). The picture shows the print/drill error a little bit. Working to resolve that for future editions.

10868086_10155035767930122_5474141111860992716_n.jpg?oh=0ebc9de76246a6eb6c6094c34120b736&oe=553CC9EC&__gda__=1430169107_9a2e4b11eb3c9098df0f7554335c0beb

I've also secured a future supplier to provide blank white enclosures in the event I make more pedals. My choice to go with the simple colour scheme pays off. :D

Edited by Crowella

Damn, that is going to be a tight squeeze but surely it will fit. Remind me to buy some of those DC Jacks though. They'll be nice for 1590A's. :D

Also, good work on choosing that mod to replace the useless switch. Seriously worth it. I keep forgetting I can switch out that cap in my prototype since I socketed it. mmmm.

So now, I've started work on the PCB for the prototype of the big model which will be a tight squeeze but nowhere near as tight as the animated. Once confirmed, I'll have to make a PCB that fits everything on the board, including the switch. I don't want to have to deal with wiring again. Honestly. It is so time consuming that I'd rather pay the extra tiny bit for the board. The dual gang pot makes it a challenge.

Edited by Crowella