Human Gear Animato

Allex

Bump :shifty:

What was the toggle switch on the original animato identified as? I recall some sort of incredibly subtle upper octave effect?

I've attempted translating the manual again (with little success) and it seems like they're saying the right setting (highlighted with a dotted line in the manual) is basically a high boost?

And the description:

It is a distortion with a very comfortable rod. Animate is wild and smooth. In other words, it seems that the variable range is very wide and it can adapt to many songs. However, it is not a high hurdle. The highest hurdle is whether the beauty and attack of the tone will come out firmly. What kind of distortion is it? That will be the subject of the most interest. In short it is comfortable and summarized by not getting tired. Usually, the rat (OLD) called distortion has good distortion but the tone becomes thin. Also, animate is completely unrelated to muddy distortion seen in many things, distortion which Gusa and collapsed hearing, these things do not. Of course, these things have their own power in points that have unique things. Animate is no if it is asked whether it is unique but this tone can be said to be the ideal distortion sound for me. The variable range is wide, attack comes on and reacts reliably to the guitar's volume. If you change to Smooth Taper Volume, you can have a smoother intonation. Distortion Even if it is used at full throttle, the texture and contour are not lost while providing metallic but provide distortion with pitch without borrowing the power of the amplifier.

Im not sure what it identified as but it does sweet FA. Now thinking about it, it did change the filtering but would have made more sense if the resistor and capacitor were adjusted to select a different frequency rather than the same just with different values.

That translation. Eeek.

Im not sure what it identified as but it does sweet FA. Now thinking about it, it did change the filtering but would have made more sense if the resistor and capacitor were adjusted to select a different frequency rather than the same just with different values.

That translation. Eeek.

Same frequency with different values? Not completely sure I understand that bit, but then I'm like... someone who claims they're a luthier, but in reality, is more of a modder (see what I did there, Jaicen?)

And the part about the tone switch made even less sense. I might be able to get someone (as in real person) to translate it. Though he might have a bit of difficulty describing it to me, as he's not a guitarist/bassist that would be familiar with what all of it means.

Also, out of curiosity... since the Animated doesn't have the switch, is it just fixed at one of the values that the original has? Or has it been bypassed completely?

I actually had to remember what it did because its been so long since I have ever thought about the switch. What happens is that when the switch is flicked, lets say off to on, you introduce a resistor to go to ground. These two resistors sit on the base and the emitter of the transistor pair.

Now, both the base and emitter *already* have a resistor going to ground so what we essentially do is put resistors in parallel.

So 100k || 100k = 50k ~= 51k in real world parts

And 4.7k || 4.7k = 2k35 ~= 2k2 "" ""

That doesn't mean too much but all it does is change whether more voltage goes to ground at the base or more goes at the emitter. The 100k to 50k changes the transistor bias, the 4.7k to 2.2k changes the gain. It's odd though that the values picked don't give it a substantial difference but that may explain why it's possible that harmonic content may be slightly different as a result of the switch but that's reaching pedantic levels that a lot of original owners argued made no audible difference, hence it's exclusion.

And weirdly enough, you actually made me realise that in the last public schematic revision I may have labelled the switch wrong in the schematic as DPDT when it was SPDT meaning it was not both being switched on, but one or the other. Was that long ago, the difference either way is really minimal but I will definitely check.

I basically just compensated for the switch by choosing one side with the closest part replacement 51k, hence choosing one side of the switch to represent and picking the closest parallel part to minimise part count. It's a few dollars saved each build.

So tl;dr, the switch either turns down the gain, or the voltage bias but in a way that equates to same level and frequency filtering.

• 1 month later...

So I went silly and shrunk it down some more.

vssSDUql.jpg

Album: https://imgur.com/a/i0Zfg

Even managed to record with it today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Gq3DaSEDs

Interesting point I should mention, on the newer ones, I put the extra filtering caps like the original, plus a 100 ohm resistor between power and the board, it's a lot quieter when you mute your instrument and seemed to get rid of a high pitch whine, whew.

• Like 1

Hahahaha, I knew when watching it back I would get a comment about it. I genuinely struggle with my pinky for the past decade, Im in the practice of taping my middle two fingers together and doing the 1-2-4 method because of it.

I might drop the price in a few days to compete with a competitor and clear out old stock for newer builds.

And Voskhod. :LOL:

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't work the same with the independent blend controls on each.

Did you keep the animated in mind when voicing this, or did it just turn out that way because it's a tested and proven combination? :ninja:

Also... Animated and Voskhod in a single enclosure? And will it blend?

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well, got some sound clips for everyone. Yes, it is quite gated. I didn't actually play Defector but it matches up well otherwise.

Pro + Tube switch on, medium-high drive, medium-high tone, blend

Pro switches on, medium drive, medium tone, blend

Pro + Tube switches off, high drive, high tone, blend
(This is stock standard Humster for reference)

https://soundcloud.com/adamcrowell1990/defector-3

Signal chain: Bass > Defector > UAD Apollo Twin 2 Duo > Pro Tools 12 > Waves CLA76 Compressor > Ampeg B15N Amp Sim (additional on recordings two and three)

Track one is DI. Legitimately blew my mind.

Edited by Crowella
Board being board

• 9 months later...

Long time no post from me, but I just won a Voskhod on Ebay! I'd always wanted one of your pedals, but figured I'd be killed on Customs Duty.
I will get an Animated one day though. If just to satisfy my teenage curiosity about it haha