man that doesnt sound like fun... chance of me ruining something? i mean.. ill probably take it to a guitar repair chap.. but im interested all the same

Nah shouldn't ruin anything. Just protect the body with some foam and wood, then claw hammer it out. Hooglebug probably has a more delicate and professional idea, but that's what I'd do.

the bushing shouldnt turn. if it is then it probably wont be so hard to get it out.

have you taken the bridge off to try everything? if not take it off and have another go. if it is cross threaded and is really stuck you do run the risk of breaking off the post. but then if it is cross threaded and you cant get it out then i dont suppose it really matters.

you may well end up just having to take the bushing out and putting a new one in as phill says. if you do, id score around the bushing to make sure theres no finish attached to it. the bridge post will still be in (as you cant get it out) so id use that to help you get it out. get some pliers around the post and gently rock it back and forth as well as pulling up. dont try and just yank it out, go gently. it will take a bit of time, but its better than bringing a whole chunk of your top and/or finish up with it. if its being stuborn, heat it with a soldering iron (making sure not to damage the finish) and that should help it on its way

the bushing shouldnt turn. if it is then it probably wont be so hard to get it out.

have you taken the bridge off to try everything? if not take it off and have another go. if it is cross threaded and is really stuck you do run the risk of breaking off the post. but then if it is cross threaded and you cant get it out then i dont suppose it really matters.

you may well end up just having to take the bushing out and putting a new one in as phill says. if you do, id score around the bushing to make sure theres no finish attached to it. the bridge post will still be in (as you cant get it out) so id use that to help you get it out. get some pliers around the post and gently rock it back and forth as well as pulling up. dont try and just yank it out, go gently. it will take a bit of time, but its better than bringing a whole chunk of your top and/or finish up with it. if its being stuborn, heat it with a soldering iron (making sure not to damage the finish) and that should help it on its way

Yeh i took off the bridge, no help there, i strongly suspect its cross threaded :/

Worried for the finish now, yikes! Ill take it to a pro, hopefully its an easy job for them to replace/uncouple it!

yeh, cant undo it by hand because its coupled. the other side can be adjusted by hand. turning it with pliers makes it turn, but it doesnt turn inside the thread if you know what i mean (i assume its like a nut and bolt configuration, and here the nut is screwed so tight into the bolt that when i turn it, they both turn together?) the height doesnt change when i screw it, so im a bit stuck!

What you wanna do if thats the case is put a small hard object such as a small screw inside the anchor. Then you're going to screw in the stud and once the stud runs into the small object the stud will want to screw into the anchor more but since the small object is not allowing that, the force will build up and result in your anchor being pushed out as you screw in the stud. Go slow. And if you want to make sure the finish won't chip (assuming there is finish "wrapping" around the anchor for some reason), you can score it around the anchor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsZ9zBX2eDU

What you wanna do if thats the case is put a small hard object such as a small screw inside the anchor. Then you're going to screw in the stud and once the stud runs into the small object the stud will want to screw into the anchor more but since the small object is not allowing that, the force will build up and result in your anchor being pushed out as you screw in the stud. Go slow. And if you want to make sure the finish won't chip (assuming there is finish "wrapping" around the anchor for some reason), you can score it around the anchor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsZ9zBX2eDU

It's cross threaded. It won't screw!!

cant get the top out ;/

i screwed it too far and now its too tight in the bushing to undo.. the bushing turns in the hole with the other bit if you turn it

will the whole thing not pull out? if the anchor is turning then it can't be that tight in there?

will the whole thing not pull out? if the anchor is turning then it can't be that tight in there?

Yeah, maybe so :) ive called the local guitar tech who seems to think itd be an easy fix to do while i wait, so ill let him do it! :p im really paranoid about making a crack or messing up the finish doing it myself, which would be epic badtiems.. I dont mind paying a little if its done well

nope. it'll come next week sometime. the top will be a while longer i think i only got an email from him the other day saying he's gonna get it resawn for me

that's cool - so the top is going to look different? (i don't mind as long as it's a normal flame top, without any strange...things going on)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived