The Independent - Muse: Nice album – shame about the concert

Riveon

Absolution was a massive commercial success, so therefore it's sound is commercial.

I'll just leave this here for anyone who wants to start going on about how Muse aren't commercial (It's from the same year as Absolution):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qryvNG5QQc

Commerciality isn't the main point I'm trying to make. I'm trying to explain that I think the albums before BH&R are more emotionally stirring, more affecting and more powerful than the last 2 albums. That's just the way I feel about them though, I'm sure plenty of other people feel differently.

Commerciality isn't the main point I'm trying to make. I'm trying to explain that I think the albums before BH&R are more emotionally stirring, more affecting and more powerful than the last 2 albums. That's just the way I feel about them though, I'm sure plenty of other people feel differently.

That's your opinion of how emotional the albums are, which is fair enough, but you can't apply your opinion to production aspects and commerciality, which far too many people do on here.

Simple fact is, Muse are repeating themselves, you can predict the next album will be a mish mash of various genres, some ambiguous apocalyptic/political theme and some commercial radio friendly songs and some songs a bit more leftfield followed by a tour of a band confused by whether they are a full on spectacle or a rock band.

CarrieB, IBTY is a complete pisstake from start to finish, it's emotion is just the fun going into it and the band having some fun at their own expense. :)

CarrieB, IBTY is a complete pisstake from start to finish, it's emotion is just the fun going into it and the band having some fun at their own expense. :)

That is your opinion but, no, I don't agree. I definitely think there was heartfelt feeling in that song, however it may have been disguised. There's no way the French part was not from the heart. I seem to remember Matt even said he wanted that part to be sensual and that it didn't work in English so he had to use his bad French. I'm pretty sure it wasn't just for a laugh.

You know, Matt mentioned Rio and Leo in a recent tweet. What was that about? I haven't worked it out.

That is your opinion but, no, I don't agree.

At what point is a break down into a section from an opera followed by a bass clarinet solo, woo's in the intro, lyrics quoting previous song titles & lyrics and so on a band that is taking themselves seriously?

And do you seriously think the majority of musicians take themselves and anything they do seriously? :LOL:

That's your opinion of how emotional the albums are, which is fair enough, but you can't apply your opinion to production aspects and commerciality, which far too many people do on here.

Simple fact is, Muse are repeating themselves, you can predict the next album will be a mish mash of various genres, some ambiguous apocalyptic/political theme and some commercial radio friendly songs and some songs a bit more leftfield followed by a tour of a band confused by whether they are a full on spectacle or a rock band.

They may all have a mish mash element in common (although I think that's more about the last 2 albums) but like I already said, each album since Absolution still sounds distinctly different, including a quite different overall sound (though I would agree that OoS and Absolution have similar sounds).

Seeing a set full of OoS songs will be a very different experience from seeing a set of only BH&R songs, contrary to what the writer quoted in the OP and you say and that is because they are very different albums. That's why you get lots of Twilight fans who don't like the earlier stuff. They would like it if it sounded the same as BH&R.

At what point is a break down into a section from an opera followed by a bass clarinet solo, woo's in the intro, lyrics quoting previous song titles & lyrics and so on a band that is taking themselves seriously?

And do you seriously think the majority of musicians take themselves and anything they do seriously? :LOL:

It doesn't matter. Muse mix emotion with humour. That's their way. It's bitter sweet. It doesn't mean there is absolutely no sound emotional base to a song.

That's not really all that hard to take on board really for someone with intelligence.

That is your opinion but, no, I don't agree. I definitely think there was heartfelt feeling in that song, however it may have been disguised. There's no way the French part was not from the heart. I seem to remember Matt even said he wanted that part to be sensual and that it didn't work in English so he had to use his bad French. I'm pretty sure it wasn't just for a laugh.

You know, Matt mentioned Rio and Leo in a recent tweet. What was that about? I haven't worked it out.

He said:

Rio is pretty divided, 5* hotels and favelas close together. Leo star sign.

presumably he meant Gaia's star sign is leo.

He said:

presumably he meant Gaia's star sign is leo.

I seem to remember that her star sign isn't Leo. Can't remember what it is. But someone checked once.

I don't think he can have been referring to Gaia. This was only the other day.

EDIT he was probably referring to IBTY, I didn't really understand it, but then I didn't see the question.

I seem to remember that her star sign wasn't Leo. Can't remember what it was. But someone checked once.

I don't think he can have been referring to Gaia. This was only the other day.

Yes, but the song was written some time ago :p

Maybe it's not about anyone in particular. He probably just chose leo because it rhymes with Rio.

Yes, but the song was written some time ago :p

Maybe it's not about anyone in particular. He probably just chose leo because it rhymes with Rio.

Yeah! :LOL: I agree. It probably didn't mean much. He was just referring to the song. And he was in Rio, or going to Rio, so he just joked about it having the star sign Leo.

Fantastic song though! :D I love it! :D

Yeah! :LOL: I agree. It probably didn't mean much. He was just referring to the song. And he was in Rio, or going to Rio, so he just joked about it having the star sign Leo.

Fantastic song though! :D I love it! :D

As do I. Although I do agree with Haze that it's more a fun song than highly emotional but whatever. Doesn't really matter.

As do I. Although I do agree with Haze that it's more a fun song than highly emotional but whatever. Doesn't really matter.

No it doesn't, people get from the music what they want. :happy: My opinion, I may be wrong, that there is rarely a Muse song which hasn't some basis in reality. :)

They may all have a mish mash element in common (although I think that's more about the last 2 albums) but like I already said, each album since Absolution still sounds distinctly different, including a quite different overall sound (though I would agree that OoS and Absolution have similar sounds).

What I mean is you can easily swap songs around and all the rest of it and they wouldn't generally feel out of place. The albums aren't consistent enough that only those songs belong together and if done well enough, in that order. I'm sure people will instantly disagree without thinking about it. :)

Could actually create more consistent and flowing albums using material from the last three. :LOL:

No it doesn't, people get from the music what they want. :happy: My opinion, I may be wrong, that there is rarely a Muse song which hasn't some basis in reality. :)

You get from music what is put in front of you, just it seems you always want there to be a deep emotional story behind it and somehow Matt is crying his heart out and pained with these emotions that no mortal can understand. :p

I just feel the lyrics are a mockery of himself in a way, so more of a pisstake about when he is being all emotional. I actually do like the song by the way, strangely.

"I Belong To You" is definitely a piss take, but Bells gets points for attempting Delilah's aria in the breakdown. Although, since it is Deliah's aria where she is trying to woo Samson and make him fall into her trap, it kind of clashes with the rest of the lyrics.

Also, in terms of "emotion in songs", "Hyper Chondriac Music" says hello.

What I mean is you can easily swap songs around and all the rest of it and they wouldn't generally feel out of place. The albums aren't consistent enough that only those songs belong together and if done well enough, in that order. I'm sure people will instantly disagree without thinking about it. :)

Could actually create more consistent and flowing albums using material from the last three. :LOL:

You could get away with Hoodoo on Absolution, but I can't see much more from BH&R or TR fitting in or vice versa. I recently made a CD for the car with stuff from Showbiz, OoS and Absolution and stuck MK Ultra on it too. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

You get from music what is put in front of you, just it seems you always want there to be a deep emotional story behind it and somehow Matt is crying his heart out and pained with these emotions that no mortal can understand. :p

I just feel the lyrics are a mockery of himself in a way, so more of a pisstake about when he is being all emotional. I actually do like the song by the way, strangely.

Oh piss off. That is complete crap. Also where is IBTY about anyone crying their hearts out or pained with emotions "no mortal can understand" in any case.

Of course since you know everything about everything, you must be right! :rolleyes:

Oh piss off. That is complete crap. Also where is IBTY about anyone crying their hearts out or pained with emotions "no mortal can understand" in any case.

Of course since you know everything about everything, you must be right! :rolleyes:

:LOL::LOL:

"I Belong To You" is definitely a piss take, but Bells gets points for attempting Delilah's aria in the breakdown. Although, since it is Deliah's aria where she is trying to woo Samson and make him fall into her trap, it kind of clashes with the rest of the lyrics.

It could be seen to clash but I don't think it does overall.

It's all up to the listener.

I personally think that this "love song" is actually about someone who is using sweet words to woo the object of their affection into having sex with them.

Whereas I don't think it is about that at all. I think it's about conflict, being pulled in more than one direction, but ultimately wanting to make a declaration of love.

I'm trying to explain that I think the albums before BH&R are more emotionally stirring, more affecting and more powerful than the last 2 albums.

I agree with that. I think the subject matter is a huge contributing factor to this. OoS took us straight into Matt's mind, every song (except for FG) explored a different area of his psyche. Abso and BH&R do have a few similar songs, but never go anywhere near as deep. And TR is pretty much entirely void of any emotional depth.

Archived