The Independent - Muse: Nice album – shame about the concert

Riveon

Boring.

It got a bit out of hand though. I still have no idea why you would assume that so many people dislike Feeling Good though. It gets great reactions at the concerts, and most people who have rated it here gave it at least 7/10. All this Feeling Good hatred is so exaggerated. It's like 5-10 people who repeat it a lot and then others that join in just because they're tired of it. And then there's the standing joke about FG being shit.

I still find it funny :(

It's not a bad song per se and it's actually quite decent when treated on its own merits. It's just that it's definitely of a significantly lower quality than the other piano songs it's keeping out of setlists - AP, SD, RBS etc. etc.

you're a little late to the "hate on bruce" party...

Yeah, everyone who disagrees with you are just out to hate on you. It has nothing to do with the points you make.

It's not a bad song per se and it's actually quite decent when treated on its own merits. It's just that it's definitely of a significantly lower quality than the other piano songs it's keeping out of setlists - AP, SD, RBS etc. etc.

I agree.

Feeling Good is a massive casual fan favourite, a favourite amongst those who perhaps go to one gig a tour or have heard about Muse and want to find out more. It's universally recognisable and Muse's version is a great twist on the original.

It is, of course, less of a hardcore fan favourite as most of us have seen it live at least once and we feel it takes unfair precedent over Muse's own piano pieces.

Problem solved.

Thats part of the problem with TR - it sounds too slick and polished. Matt's vocals lack the emotion that comes through on their earlier albums.

I disagree completely.

And about this FG discussion:

To most musers? You do realise that most musers aren't even members of this board? How did you collect these facts?

+1

I have friends that are massive Muse fans and they absolutely LOVE feeling Good.

Thats part of the problem with TR - it sounds too slick and polished. Matt's vocals lack the emotion that comes through on their earlier albums.

I certainly don't agree with that. Matt's vocal is more polished on TR but it's actually more natural sounding and I like that. There's also so much emotion on TR. It's just expressed in a different way than on the early albums. It's certainly not lacking.

I disagree completely.

And about this FG discussion:

+1

I have friends that are massive Muse fans and they absolutely LOVE feeling Good.

[/b]

I certainly don't agree with that. Matt's vocal is more polished on TR but it's actually more natural sounding and I like that. There's also so much emotion on TR. It's just expressed in a different way than on the early albums. It's certainly not lacking.

Apart from Exogenesis 1 and 3, I can't think of a song on TR where Matt sounds particularly emotional. Not like he did on, for eg Apocalypse please, Falling Away with You to name but two.

apart from exogenesis 1 and 3, i can't think of a song on tr where matt sounds particularly emotional. Not like he did on, for eg apocalypse please, falling away with you to name but two.

'i caaaaan't hurrrrt you anyyyymore'

I've honestly never found his singing particularly "emotional". Powerful, clear, yes, but not emotional.

Stacking your voice to the brim with vibrato doesn't count.

Having said that I really like how his voice sounds in this little set of gigs going on right now.

Apart from Exogenesis 1 and 3, I can't think of a song on TR where Matt sounds particularly emotional. Not like he did on, for eg Apocalypse please, Falling Away with You to name but two.

I Belong To You for one. Lashings of emotion or you could call it passion. Unnatural Selection. Undisclosed Desires is very sensual and then of course we have Exogenesis. I can't see how TR can been described as any less emotional than any other album, and I do think that Matt is an expert at expressing emotion with his voice.

But incidentally I have never found Falling Away with You particularly emotional. I can't understand the appeal of that song really. I suppose it depends on what you relate to, and what reaches you. Afterall I find NSC very emotional but it seems others don't.

I Belong To You for one. Lashings of emotion or you could call it passion. Unnatural Selection. Undisclosed Desires is very sensual and then of course we have Exogenesis. I can't see how TR can been described as any less emotional than any other album, and I do think that Matt is an expert at expressing emotion with his voice.

But incidentally I have never found Falling Away with You particularly emotional. I can't understand the appeal of that song really. I suppose it depends on what you relate to, and what reaches you. Afterall I find NSC very emotional but it seems others don't.

We obviously hear different things in different songs then. Maybe you're right about IBTY but I don't hear any particular emotion in US or UD. NSC yes, in the choruses, but the musical theatreyness of that song means I will never love it :p

Don't get me wrong, I do like TR but for me it has that powerful emotional element largely missing.

We obviously hear different things in different songs then. Maybe you're right about IBTY but I don't hear any particular emotion in US or UD. NSC yes, in the choruses, but the musical theatreyness of that song means I will never love it :p

Don't get me wrong, I do like TR but for me it has that powerful emotional element largely missing.

I think also there are powerful emotional elements instrumentally in TR. I don't know whether anyone can fail to be moved by the intro to Resistance, which, incidentally, they have tried to emphasise even more by using Adagio in addition live. (I'm not sure they needed to, but maybe they felt people would miss it live). So the tragedy may be more subtle, but it's still there. I don't know. I just love The Resistance. Not to say I don't love their previous work as well.

I don't think you can point at certain lyrics and say "this is emotional". Even the most moving lyric can sound dull coming from the wrong mouth. Most of the singing on TR doesnt speak to me at all.

I don't think anyone is pointing to lyrics. As for whether TR speaks to you, well we'll just have to differ, but personally I don't think anything sounds dull coming from Matt's mouth.

I don't think you can point at certain lyrics and say "this is emotional". Even the most moving lyric can sound dull coming from the wrong mouth. Most of the singing on TR doesnt speak to me at all.

I find US to be quite "emotional" in that most of what he says sounds like he means it, for example when he says;

"Try to ride out the storm

Whilst they'll make you believe

They are the special ones"

He says that with such sincerity, imo.

I find US to be quite "emotional" in that most of what he says sounds like he means it, for example when he says;

"Try to ride out the storm

Whilst they'll make you believe

They are the special ones"

He says that with such sincerity, imo.

Yeah I agree, that was the main bit I was referring to when I said I think it is emotional. I think also that there can be more than one type of emotion, sorrow about injustice like this bit in US and euphoria at fighting against it, and I would say Uprising and UsoE are more in the latter vein.

I know they messed about with UsoE and well vocally the more emotional bit is the beginning, and that piece of music is beautiful. The end is, oh dear, what is it?! :LOL: The personalities of Muse unleashed! :chuckle:

But, in making you smile, in a kind of wtf way, it nevertheless retains poignancy. I think the euphoric aspect of the song relates very well to what it means. The best bit is the Middle Eastern music and the fact that it is the "United States of" Eurasia. Haha! I love that! :D The irony together with the boldness and togetherness reaches me. I would hate it if it was British patriotism but it's not. And then there's the contexuality of course with 1984. But underlying that we have the seriousness of the injustices that were carried out in the Middle East.

I think it's more of a comment than an argument and Matt has been ambiguous regarding the intended meaning lately, possibly because he doesn't want to upset the Americans. :chuckle: But yeah, good stuff!

[EDIT] I love USoE, I don't even know why I have the need to joke about it. I was just listening to it, and it reminded me that I adore it all the way through! :happy:

I don't find it at all emotional, but I find it musically very interesting. Texture.

Archived