Cheese Question

MUSESTL

What? That doesn't make sense.

Sorry... let me rephrase it:

I am implying it's not a very good song.

I know. But when you're saying 'most is just terrible' it doesn't mean much that you don't like Muse's efforts either. xD

I happen to like Starlight a lot, but I like a lot of pop music as well. (No, not what is popular on radio today, which is mostly shitty black R&B.)

*LONG AND LOUD APPLAUSE FOLLOWED BY WHISTLES AND "OH YEAHS"*

You certainly represent my sentiments!

Possible the best post ever on this board by Static Shadows. :yesey:

Mark :LOL:!

I love your love for OOS <3 It furthers my disdain for Guiding Light.

Mine too. Shame I´ve never been able to express them in such a superb way.

Glad my rant struck a chord! :LOL:

cliche' is a cliche', whether its 'love is forever' or 'we'll die together' or even erase the memories they'll only bring us pain'

And now you've listed some more lyrics. Again nothing to do with musical clichés. And we are talking about the music. Did you not read my post? You certainly haven't addressed any of it, and I don't think I could have made it much clearer. :LOL: Maybe you really do only hear lyrics and not the music? It would explain why you appear to have utterly failed to understand other points of view in this particular matter! I won't just repeat my last two posts though. Any more explaining will be regurgitating what i've already said in slightly different ways, and that would get dull for everybody!

I like both, cheese and hard rock stuff.

I love The Resistance and Origin equally.

Muse can do hard or soft music at the same time and I adore it. Other bands only can do one type of music and it is boring. But muse includes many kind of styles, which is fantastic.

If an album was including 10 songs of the type ''NSC'' or 10 songs of the type ''CE'' probably it will be boring. I prefer the variety.

I am conscious that CE is musically better, a masterpiece, and i love it. But i enjoy listening both, Citizen Erased and NSC.

I pretty much agree with this post.

I like both, cheese and hard rock stuff.

I love The Resistance and Origin equally.

Muse can do hard or soft music at the same time and I adore it. Other bands only can do one type of music and it is boring. But muse includes many kind of styles, which is fantastic.

If an album was including 10 songs of the type ''NSC'' or 10 songs of the type ''CE'' probably it will be boring. I prefer the variety.

I am conscious that CE is musically better, a masterpiece, and i love it. But i enjoy listening both, Citizen Erased and NSC.

I have hundreds of albums spanning all sorts of genres, I don't need Muse trying to do it for me as there'll be someone who does it far better. Muse should decide what "Muse" is and stick to doing it brilliantly rather than a jack of all trades which the last few albums have been.

what matters is whether you like the song or not... who cares if anyone else likes it, or if it's pop, prog, cheesy, or a masterpiece, etc

Nothing wrong with liking anything, but trying to pass it off as something it isn't is going a bit too far. Starlight et al is not good pop music.

Nothing wrong with liking anything, but trying to pass it off as something it isn't is going a bit too far. Starlight et al is not good pop music.

I'd say it's popularity would suggest differently... I still think it's your opinion suggesting it's not good pop music, which is fine, but that goes back to what I originally said.

Glad my rant struck a chord! :LOL:

And now you've listed some more lyrics. Again nothing to do with musical clichés. And we are talking about the music. Did you not read my post? You certainly haven't addressed any of it, and I don't think I could have made it much clearer. :LOL: Maybe you really do only hear lyrics and not the music? It would explain why you appear to have utterly failed to understand other points of view in this particular matter! I won't just repeat my last two posts though. Any more explaining will be regurgitating what i've already said in slightly different ways, and that would get dull for everybody!

you don't quite understand do you *pats head*

muse used to sound like a mix of radiohead and rage against the machine.

also a b c d progression in c.e is cliche as are piano chords at the end, and if thats not, and i quote, predictable patterns, i don't know what is.

just because they used crunchy sounding fuzz doesnt make them different in any way

like i said before, cliche and cheese are two different things.

you don't quite understand do you *pats head*

muse used to sound like a mix of radiohead and rage against the machine.

also a b c d progression in c.e is cliche as are piano chords at the end, and if thats not, and i quote, predictable patterns, i don't know what is.

just because they used crunchy sounding fuzz doesnt make them different in any way

like i said before, cliche and cheese are two different things.

So basically you're saying that all music is a cliche then?

Notes, chord progression, song structure isn't all there is to music. Music is sound. A Cminor on a piano sound different to how it sounds on a guitar, a guitar run through a distortion pedal sounds different to one without one...

So basically you're saying that all music is a cliche then?

not all music, most music, not that there's anything wrong with that at all, its cliche' because it sounds good and there's only a limited number of what notes sound good together etc. i'd think the only way not to be cliche' is to be experimental.

not all music, most music, not that there's anything wrong with that at all, its cliche' because it sounds good and there's only a limited number of what notes sound good together etc. i'd think the only way not to be cliche' is to be experimental.

You're talking about microtonal music there I guess? Been done as well, so how is that not a cliche?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1PoNnW4Gjk

seems like it :$

what i'm trying to get across is that OOS is as cliche as TR.

again as for cheese its entirely a different thing

It isn't though. You're just making a point about music theory as if that's all there is to music and totally ignoring other aspects to make a poorly thought through point.

Plug In Baby can be played on any instrument, but Muse choose to play it on a guitar through an oscillating fuzz pedal, where the hell have you heard an oscillating fuzz pedal in mainstream music prior to that song?

Explain how that song is a cliche?

It isn't though. You're just making a point about music theory as if that's all there is to music and totally ignoring other aspects to make a poorly thought through point.

Plug In Baby can be played on any instrument, but Muse choose to play it on a guitar through an oscillating fuzz pedal, where the hell have you heard an oscillating fuzz pedal in mainstream music prior to that song?

rushand pink floyd to name just two used phase oscilators with fuzz, and thats when prog was mainstream.

and it's cliche because of the 'intro/riff verse chorus riff verse chorus riff/outro' structure, which is one of the main cliche structures in music, the lyrics are cliche rock type lyrics too "i've exposed your lies" for example

seems like it :$

what i'm trying to get across is that OOS is as cliche as TR.

again as for cheese its entirely a different thing

its a little bit of a pointless debate though. OOS might be cliched in places, but I dont think to the extent that TR is. Not that theres anything particularly wrong with TR in my eyes.

Archived