The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

I really want a fuzz probe...

(No, I'm not rich, they're $320 :'(:'(:'(:'( )

yeah but I'm thinking the fuzz probe and wah probe have got to sounds soo good together!!

if your foot is large enough you can work both at the same time :)

has anyone seen the theremin movie??

• 5 months later...

Ok guys, I've got a question about my pedal order. Right now I have:

- MXR Phase 90

- Boss DS-1 Distortion

- Boss DD-3 Digital Delay

What order do I put these pedals in? I know delay comes last but I dont know if I should put Distortion first or the phaser first. Furthermore I'm adding a WAH, a Fuzz Box (Big Muff or FF) and a Whammy, what would be the order with the added pedals?

- MXR Phase 90

- Boss DS-1 Distortion

What order do I put these pedals in? I know delay comes last but I dont know if I should put Distortion first or the phaser first. Furthermore I'm adding a WAH, a Fuzz Box (Big Muff or FF) and a Whammy, what would be the order with the added pedals?

ummmwell not to sound harsh but for three pedals I'm sure switching two around wont kill you to see which sound you prefer... as for when you recieve the others, I would personally go for:

Fuzz box -> DS1 -> Whammy -> Wah -> MXR phase 90 -> delay

- MXR Phase 90

- Boss DS-1 Distortion

Where you put the phaser is purely up to you, try it out before and after distortion, you'd only ever use it set slowly after distortion to be honest, before is probably more versitile.

As for when you get the others:

Wah > Phaser (if before distortion) > FF > Whammy > Big Muff > DS1 > Phaser (After) > DD3

:)

Incredibly easy question, yeah, but I got my Fuzz Factory today and im not sure whether a crybaby wah would go before or after it.

What be what one in what order?

Crybabys, I think they go before, but you'll find it probably sounds horrible no matter where you place it if it's like mine. my FF and CB didn't work together at all. You can get the CB modded to work with fuzzes but it's obviously more cost.

Where you put the phaser is purely up to you, try it out before and after distortion, you'd only ever use it set slowly after distortion to be honest, before is probably more versitile.

As for when you get the others:

Wah > Phaser (if before distortion) > FF > Whammy > Big Muff > DS1 > Phaser (After) > DD3

:)

Thnx for the advice :D . I thought it would be something like: Wah - Whammy - Phaser - FF - DS1 - DD3

Because you need your sound to be as dry as possible when entering the whammy.

I also see that you have used both a Big Muff and a FF, but I'm only using one of them. When I just use one, does it differ where I put it? I mean, if I choose the FF, I should put it before the whammy or if I choose the Big Muff after the whammy?

Oh yeah and I forgot but I have an acoustic simulator too, but I hardly use it on my current amp. Since I'm upgrading to a new amp soon I was woundering where I should put it in my effects chain. I will probably only play clean through it (thats what its meant to do, simulate an acoustic, and I've never heard a distorted/pitch shifted acoustic) so I was thinking about putting it @ the end of the chain, after the delay. I do this because I can ajust the settings on the acoustic simulator IF I lose some tone while playing clean (not all of the pedals are true bypass). What do you guys think?

Thnx for the advice :D . I thought it would be something like: Wah - Whammy - Phaser - FF - DS1 - DD3

I also see that you have used both a Big Muff and a FF, but I'm only using one of them. When I just use one, does it differ where I put it? I mean, if I choose the FF, I should put it before the whammy or if I choose the Big Muff after the whammy?

Oh yeah and I forgot but I have an acoustic simulator too, but I hardly use it on my current amp. Since I'm upgrading to a new amp soon I was woundering where I should put it in my effects chain. I will probably only play clean through it (thats what its meant to do, simulate an acoustic, and I've never heard a distorted/pitch shifted acoustic) so I was thinking about putting it @ the end of the chain, after the delay. I do this because I can ajust the settings on the acoustic simulator IF I lose some tone while playing clean (not all of the pedals are true bypass). What do you guys think?

does the new amp have an fx loop? if it does you could get an a/b switch or splitter or something and run the acoustic sim straight into the poweramp, switching between the 2 by switching the a/b and the fx loop at the same time. maybe a bit complex...?

does the new amp have an fx loop? if it does you could get an a/b switch or splitter or something and run the acoustic sim straight into the poweramp, switching between the 2 by switching the a/b and the fx loop at the same time. maybe a bit complex...?

I understand what you mean and it is a good solution, if I had an effects loop ;). But my new amp doesn't have an effects loop or extra channels so I must get my distortion from a pedal. Thats why I will use a DS-1 and a Fuzz in my effects chain.

I understand what you mean and it is a good solution, if I had an effects loop ;). But my new amp doesn't have an effects loop or extra channels so I must get my distortion from a pedal. Thats why I will use a DS-1 and a Fuzz in my effects chain.

ah. well in that case, last in the signal chain should be best

i know this is going to sound incredibly noobish but what difference does it make depending on what order they are in?

in a nutshell, it will change the outcoming tone of your signal, and will also change how the pedals react to one another..

Erm, a Whammy is a pile of shit to be honest, the only reason it's better before distortion is because it's a tone sucking little bastard, so by putting it before, you don't lose your distorted tone and you don't really notice it on clean.

The only reason the FF goes first is because it seems to hate anything before it, I've only ever got a phaser to work before it without the pedal doing something unusual, even wahs don't work before, or after hehe.

Erm, a Whammy is a pile of shit to be honest, the only reason it's better before distortion is because it's a tone sucking little bastard, so by putting it before, you don't lose your distorted tone and you don't really notice it on clean.

The only reason the FF goes first is because it seems to hate anything before it, I've only ever got a phaser to work before it without the pedal doing something unusual, even wahs don't work before, or after hehe.

OK so lemme get this straight. You put a FF before a whammy because a FF sounds shitty with anything before it (except a phaser). If I choose to buy a Big Muff, it's better to put it after the whammy because a whammy will suck my distorted tone and you don't notice it on clean.

OK so lemme get this straight. You put a FF before a whammy because a FF sounds shitty with anything before it (except a phaser). If I choose to buy a Big Muff, it's better to put it after the whammy because a whammy will suck my distorted tone and you don't notice it on clean.

Yep. There may be more pedals that work before a FF, but not to my knowledge at this point in time.

I've messed around with chains for years, both 'virtual' ones in rack processors and pedals boards of the things on the floor. I find the theory to be useful, but to be more of a guide to some basic theory and do's n' don'ts. I'd personally always advise to let the ears do the deciding.... have fun, chop and change, and hear what works best for YOU. Great way to spend an afternoon, experimenting, if nowt else.....

ok! well can some body give me a hand getting the best i can then? so far my set up is Amp------->DD-6 (Delay)-------->SD-1 (super overdrive)--------> DS-2 (turbo distortion) ----------> GCB-95 (Wah-Wah)------>Guitar

whats the best order for that?

Archived