The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

Run your delay through your effects loop , basically what that does (I think) is run your effect after the preamp has done 'making' your sound and sending it to the speaker. So it makes delays less mushy ?..

Im wrong.

lol, i didnt want to start a thread for this simple question. so i'll just take a chance at getting yelled at by all the muse board kids. anyone know of a freeware program that can record wavs? something with no time limit... :D

because it'll sound crap.

The FX Loop Send is the Preamp Out and the Return is the Power Amp In.

What it does is makes sure you have as little as possible between the signal path from the guitar to the amp.

oh well thank you thats all i was asking really. and i kinda figured the ff would sound crap through it because its not really and effect effect...just sorta fuzz..i thought id ask anyways..ok this case is closed

oh well thank you thats all i was asking really. and i kinda figured the ff would sound crap through it because its not really and effect effect...just sorta fuzz..i thought id ask anyways..ok this case is closed

It actually sounds crap because of impedance matching issues, but that's by the by.

• 1 month later...

This is my current Pedal Board

MyPedalBoard.jpg

This consists of:

Boss PW-1 Rocker Wah

Boss Bass Synth SYB-3

Boss Super Phaser PH-2

Boss Super Octave OC-3

Boss Line Selector LS-2

Boss T Wah TW-1

Boss FV-300L Volume/Expression Pedal

DOD FX-25 Envelope Filter

Electro-Harmonix Bassballs

Electro-Harmonix Big Muff

Does anybody have any tips on what order I should have these pedals in?

At the moment I have them setup as:

Guitar> Big Muff> Bassballs> T Wah> DOD FX-25> FV-300L (Volume)> Line Selector (Loop B> Super Phaser) > Bass Synth> Super Octave> PW-1 Rocker Wah> Amp. (Line order not as shown in photo).

Can anyone improve on this for me?

Cheers,

-g00ni

Basically, you can have them in any order you want, there are no rules.

Just play around and see what works best.

If you want to go with tradition:

Pitchshifters > Wah/Filters > Volume (For controlling gain) > Distortion/OD/Fuzz > Volume (For controlling volume, rather than gain) > Modulation > Delay > Reverb

But nothing is saying you have to set up like that, I mean modulation into light OD sounds fantastic, you may find you prefer distortion before everything, or after everything.

The best to do is play around and see what you like.

I'm not sure the OC-3 will track very well if you put it after a big muff.

Incidentally, are you a bassist? If so, you could use your line selector to mix a clean sound with effected sound. This should help keep a constant low end.

You could try mixing two effects seperately using the Ls-2 aswell. I like to have an envelope filter running on a clean sound, at the same time as having a seperate distorted sound.

I'm not sure the OC-3 will track very well if you put it after a big muff.

Incidentally, are you a bassist? If so, you could use your line selector to mix a clean sound with effected sound. This should help keep a constant low end.

You could try mixing two effects seperately using the Ls-2 aswell. I like to have an envelope filter running on a clean sound, at the same time as having a seperate distorted sound.

I believe he's a guitarist, I think it's the dude who had the terrible accident with the Manson.

I believe he's a guitarist, I think it's the dude who had the terrible accident with the Manson.

Yeah, that'd be me... I had my manson on a stand at the side of the stage and someone knocked the PA Speaker ontop of it! All fixed now though! Pretty much good as new! :D

the way i have my rig setup is like distortion, modulation then things like echo so it runs through like

guitar>>Fuzz Factory>>Big Muff>>MXR Phase 90>>Whammy no 1>>whammy no 2>>Line 6 POd XT live>>Line 6 DL4>>Amp

:fro: and the smiley coz i like it

If you think of the way matt does it he has his fuzz and phase going directly in first then the whammys are in his rack fx so the fuzz is being sent through first and modulated so best adding your whammy(s) through an FX loop or if on the floor after your distortion

• 4 weeks later...
Guest anonymousanimal

Does anyone have any reasons why this is wrong

Fuzz Factory > Crybaby > Digitech Whammy > Boss GE-7 ?

Archived