The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

IIRC FF's dont oscillate with a buffered bypass before it, so it may happen that the phaser you had was true bypass. Anything with TB should technically leave the FFs operation unaffected.

My Probe still oscillates with a small stone in front of it. Just you can't control it using the guitar anymore.

My Probe still oscillates with a small stone in front of it. Just you can't control it using the guitar anymore.

I've never used a probe to be honest. Hmm... I want a distortion pedal for when i gig without my amp. Im used to having 3 channels available. So what two channel OD box do people recommend? Under €200

Righto, bass effects ordering help me please fankoo.

This is what I have/will have by the start of next week:

- EHX Russian Big Muff

- Digitech HMXBS Bass Squeeze Dual Band Bass Compressor

- Digitech HMXBW Bass Synth Wah Bass Envelope Filter

+ My amp of course, which isn't a great thing.

Now, suggest how I should link these up for maximum effectiveness.

Fankoo #2.

Just out of curiosity and for a bit of experimentation i'm gonna ask how other people would run my setup :) My amp has an FX loop so feel free to run stuff through there.

I run:

Guitar > Wah Probe > Amp

FX Loop Out > Big Muff > Small Stone > EQ > Whammy - Dry to Tuner > Delay > FX Loop In

The reason the Big Muff is in the loop is because i like it mixed in after my amps distortion for a nice fat sound trouble is it doesn't go loud so i use the EQ to bring the volume up for that when i need to.

Starting to think maybe the whammy would be best first in the loop? Opinions and sugguestions please :)

if you can, try getting the tuner more to the front as possible...for example, if it was AFTER the whammy, and you had whammy on like a 5th up, obviously you'd get the wrong note.

Not saying you'd be stupid enough to run the tuner after the whammy wet out, but if possible, try and get it as clean a signal as you can.

Guitar > Wah Probe > Amp

FX Loop Out > Big Muff > Small Stone > EQ > Whammy - Dry to Tuner > Delay > FX Loop In

I don't know what amp you've got, so here goes:

Guitar > Whammy (dry out to tuner) > Wah > Big Muff > Amp

Effects loops: Out > EQ > Small Stone > Delay > In

May even put the Small Stone after the Big Muff, depends really

:)

Hmmm doesn't having the whammy in the FX loop save the tone loss though?

I've got a Traynor YCV40 btw.

Not really into the Big Muff straight into the amp most of the time, but it finds it's self there now and again. Thanks for the input :)

Hmmm doesn't having the whammy in the FX loop save the tone loss though?

No, does the opposite, it destroys the tone of whatever is going in, if you've got your whole setup going through it, must sound nasty :stunned:

I still refuse to believe Tom Morrello runs his effects through his loop, it all sounds like it's in front to me :confused: (might just have the amp cranked though)

Not really into the Big Muff straight into the amp most of the time, but it finds it's self there now and again. Thanks for the input :)

I meant before to run it into the amp distortion, I quite like that sound personally.

Hmm the whammy sounds like shit when it's on but bybassed it sounds ok.

I find the muff before distortion a bit of a muddy mess rather than the fat smooth distortion it becomes when placed after. maybe my settings are all wrong, i'll have a play :)

Hmm the whammy sounds like shit when it's on but bybassed it sounds ok.

I find the muff before distortion a bit of a muddy mess rather than the fat smooth distortion it becomes when placed after. maybe my settings are all wrong, i'll have a play :)

Well, if it works for you, I can hardly argue really. I find you can sort of hide the whammy's inherent shitness by putting it before distortion. Whatever you do with your distortions is up to you, I like the muddy mess, but I'm putting mine into fairly light distortion.

Well i'll have a play around tomorrow evening and let you know what i think. I take it you keep the muff sustain real low too?

I have it on about half I think when I run it into something, don't know, usually just max it out to be honest, that pretty much what I do with my other fuzzes.

That doesn't sound like Haze...

:LOL::D:happy:

ProCo Rat Turbo

Zvex Fuzz Factory

Boss DD-6 (Delay)

MXR Phase 90

Boss GE-7 (Graphic Equaliser)

Boss TU-2 (Tuner)

Line6 Verbzilla

Boss CS-3 (Compressor)

Boss MT-2 (Distortion)

Boss RV-5 (Reverb)

Go to work someone :cool:

ProCo Rat Turbo

Zvex Fuzz Factory

Boss DD-6 (Delay)

MXR Phase 90

Boss TU-2 (Tuner)

Line6 Verbzilla

Boss CS-3 (Compressor)

Boss MT-2 (Distortion)

Boss RV-5 (Reverb)

Fuzz Factory

Tuner

GE-7

Rat

CS-3

MXR Phase 90

MT-2

DD-6

Verbzilla

RV-5

Although personally, I'd get rid of the TU-2, CS-3 and MT-2 and replace them with: a Strobostomp, a keeley comp/byoc comp and a Tri-Metal:p .

ProCo Rat Turbo

Zvex Fuzz Factory

Boss DD-6 (Delay)

MXR Phase 90

Boss TU-2 (Tuner)

Line6 Verbzilla

Boss CS-3 (Compressor)

Boss MT-2 (Distortion)

Boss RV-5 (Reverb)

If you like using stereo setups like I do then:

Fuzz Factory - MT2 - CS3 - Verbzilla -

output Left -> GE-7 - Phase 90 ->

output Right -> Rat - TU2 ->

Both outputs come into the Reverb (it has a stereo in and out right??) if not then both outputs go into DD6 which I think is stereo as well haha :$

and then depending on which goes first knowing that the reverb would get priority in place, the RV5 and then DD6 and then to two amps or one amp with two inputs :D

Fuzz Factory

Tuner

GE-7

Rat

CS-3

MXR Phase 90

MT-2

DD-6

Verbzilla

RV-5

Although personally, I'd get rid of the TU-2, CS-3 and MT-2 and replace them with: a Strobostomp, a keeley comp/byoc comp and a Tri-Metal:p .

fool of a took! listen to Scratched and Scorned. I ONLY use the MT-s for distortion in there! and the fuzz probe for background noise..

http://www.purevolume.com/kinetik and dont tell me the distortion isnt gorgeous!! I love my MT2!

Righto, bass effects ordering help me please fankoo.

This is what I have/will have by the start of next week:

- EHX Russian Big Muff

- Digitech HMXBS Bass Squeeze Dual Band Bass Compressor

- Digitech HMXBW Bass Synth Wah Bass Envelope Filter

+ My amp of course, which isn't a great thing.

Now, suggest how I should link these up for maximum effectiveness.

Fankoo #2.

Anyone?

:(

Anyone?

:(

Compressor > Fuzz > Wah > Amp I guess, effects on bass need an entirely different order to guitar, on guitar I tend to prefer things before distortion, on bass everything after :confused:

who makes tri-metal?

Zoom

fool of a took! listen to Scratched and Scorned. I ONLY use the MT-s for distortion in there! and the fuzz probe for background noise..

http://www.purevolume.com/kinetik and dont tell me the distortion isnt gorgeous!! I love my MT2!

You can hear its a fuzz box ;)

ProCo Rat Turbo

Zvex Fuzz Factory

Boss DD-6 (Delay)

MXR Phase 90

Boss TU-2 (Tuner)

Line6 Verbzilla

Boss CS-3 (Compressor)

Boss MT-2 (Distortion)

Boss RV-5 (Reverb)

why would you have 2 reverbs? :confused: i mean, i can understand having 61032097679 different delay pedals, but i don't really see the point as much with reverb.

Archived