The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

Yeh, i've found the same with the guitar compressors i've tried (ibanez CP5 and boss CS3). It's probably to do with a lack of bass response in the pedal, as obviously you get more highs at the attack of the transient, and then more mids and bass when the compressor kicks in - it should get more bassy.

I like that about my ibanez pedal though, I use it on bass when i'm playing chords with a pick.

i think i'd actually get more flexibility out of that behringer rack comp i have, if i was arsed to go ordering in the right fuse. It's got all those attack/release controls as was mentioned before. and it's dual channel, so it could be handy to have after the dirt to take out some of the noise.

yah this has a gate on each channel. I was going to use the second channel to do a tiny tiny bit of comp, and just act as a gate.

in other news, just had an idea. What would happen if i was to take a deviever approach to a fuzz facto..... i mean, face.

I think what Haze is getting at, is that most guitarists don't actually know what a compressor does, and they use it for all the wrong reasons...

IMO compressors can be great for adding more body to your clean sound.

If you have your compressor set to really squash the input, that means you probably have the output set really high to try and give the same level when its on and off. This raises the noise floor significantly, which is probably why you're hearing hiss. A fuzz pedal will destroy the dynamics of your playing, so I don't think there's any need to run the FF and CS at the same time.

Boss labeling their's as a "sustainer" really does not help.

I was getting more at where you put it in the chain really depends on what you are using it for;

As an aid for a clean sound, it can really go anywhere, but preferably not before any delay/reverb, if there is any filter/EQ effects, then might be useful after to keep everything under control, unless you want a more pronounced effect from those pedals.

After distortion is pretty much pointless, unless there is a variety of distortion/OD/fuzz pedals, it can keep a lid on them.

Before can be useful for making playing stand out a bit more, but it does need to be used subtly.

Compression is something you use subtly, unless you have an old Teletonix LA-2A and want to go all 90's on breakbeats...

• 4 months later...

No that wasn't the order, that's why I put it in this thread... I have no idea what oder to put them in apart from the Delay at the end and the Whammy at the start... And I really want the Line 6 DL4 and the polytune, but that tuner is surprisingly high spec and has no effect on the sound.

Put my tuner in the dry output of the DigiTech Whammy, so its not in the effects loop, then the True Bypass wouldn't matter

This is how I will wire my pedal board up once I find a nice big ol' power supply and patch leads, etc; Will solve any issues with the tuner unless you want to mute the sound when tuning.

For £15, it was undoubtedly going to be plastic. I have three plastic pedals I tried to get rid off at a pawn broker, they wouldn't accept any of them so I might just end up gutting them out for parts and burning them :LOL:

Archived