The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

Put my tuner in the dry output of the DigiTech Whammy, so its not in the effects loop, then the True Bypass wouldn't matter

This.

I've my polytune in the dry output of hte whammy and its grand. except for when Ch 2 of the Blackstar is engaged, sometimes picks up the noise and goes abit weird...

IntelligentAl and manfromcydonia, are you talking about the Korg CA-30? I've got one of those anyway... :erm:

And yeah, to be honest, unless you want to use the mute function of a tuner in your signal chain, definitely keep it separate and then it doesn't matter about its bypass or whatever. If you've got a Whammy then you can use the dry output of that or if you have a stereo pedal you can use the other output or whatever. I was planning on using the Whammy Dry Output when I get an actual pedal tuner and then I found out the DT doesn't have one, so it'll have to be a Wah dry output instead, which just means I need longer more tangled up cables. :chuckle:

Guest Batman.
Yeah that or a Korg.

In two minds whether to get a shit floor tuner for cheap off ebay to keep me going until I can afford a better one.

No point wasting your money I reckon (Unless you're gigging).

I am gigging.

Just the neccessity of a tuner has been heightened with the revelation of how shit the tuners are on my Strat, only I cant afford to get a Korg just yet. Not sure how long it would be before I can though, so I dont know whether to hang on or just get a shit one now to tide me over.

So I have the following

Korg Pitchblack

Vexter FF

Big Muff

Distortion +

Radial Hollywood distortion

Carbon copy Delay

Holy Grail

What order should these really be in?

RIght now they are

Guitar > Holy grail > Delay > FF > Disto + > Radial > Big muff > tuner > Amp

Anything I should change?

I can't see why the holy grail is at the start or the delay but the rest looks fine. I try to put modulation last.

Also, tuner should go first just in case you leave another pedal on while trying to tune.

So basically stick the holy grail and CC at the back and the tuner up front and center?

Well with pedals it's a subjective thing. I would put the tuner up the front just so it can get a clean signal 100% of the time.

Experiment with the rest. Its your tone, you might prefer it where it is now and there isn't much wrong with that.

Interesting. I shall investigate further when I get home..

Well with pedals it's a subjective thing. I would put the tuner up the front just so it can get a clean signal 100% of the time.

Experiment with the rest. Its your tone, you might prefer it where it is now and there isn't much wrong with that.

Actually, from what I've heard, good tuners don't need a particularly clean signal, and will work fine a bit later on in the chain. Just don't put it after any modulation or delay type stuff or you'll confuse it.

So I have the following

Korg Pitchblack

Vexter FF

Big Muff

Distortion +

Radial Hollywood distortion

Carbon copy Delay

Holy Grail

What order should these really be in?

RIght now they are

Guitar > Holy grail > Delay > FF > Disto + > Radial > Big muff > tuner > Amp

Anything I should change?

It's down to you really but if you want to use the FF to it's full potential it must have only true bypass analog stuff in front of it - so no buffer stuff, no wireless systems (that's why Matt has it in his guitars - it doesn't squeal when it's after the wireless system - he has two FF after in the rack but those are for mild fuzz-face-like settings not for Plug in Baby etc...)

I would put delay last and ideally in an FX loop of the amp (if you're using amp's overdrive with a delay it's almost necessary). You can put Holy grail (awesome choice btw. - EHX effects are the best ! ) either before distortion and amp (more of a surf music feel) or in the FX loop or last - for classic reverb sound...And experiment with your distortions and the BMPi - which one is better at driving others and get the best of them by combining them ! But I think boosters are better at it - they preserve your tone...

So I'd say FF - Tuner (so you can tune the oscillation to a certain note ! ) - 1st distortion (the one that's good at overdriving BMPi and the other distortion and the amp) - here is a possibility to have the Holy Grail for surf and alternative tones - Big Muff - 2nd distorion - then delay and reverb either before the amp or in it's FX loop...

2 weeks and still waiting for my feckin tuner

........ FSk 401 Sustainer.... order date: August 11th 2011, Currently: October 22nd 2011 and only slated to come on November 1, 2011 and I know its not coming in on November 1st.

Fuck you Music 123

2 weeks and still waiting for my feckin tuner

........ FSk 401 Sustainer.... order date: August 11th 2011, Currently: October 22nd 2011 and only slated to come on November 1, 2011 and I know its not coming in on November 1st.

Fuck you Music 123

I ordered my Memory Man in July! What do I win? :awesome:

Archived