The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

where does the delay generally go? thinking of adding one of those.

end of the chain, if you have an fx loop then you should put it in the end of the loop.

btw i jelly your tuner, i tune my guitar like twice a month since my pedal tuner broke, using a non stompbox tuner or plugging in my interface and using a VST tuner is too much effort.

end of the chain, if you have an fx loop then you should put it in the end of the loop.

btw i jelly your tuner, i tune my guitar like twice a month since my pedal tuner broke, using a non stompbox tuner or plugging in my interface and using a VST tuner is too much effort.

ok thanks - is it generally better to put it in the loop or in front? going to need some more cables for this.

and you haven't tuned it at all? can you get close by ear?

ok thanks - is it generally better to put it in the loop or in front? going to need some more cables for this.

and you haven't tuned it at all? can you get close by ear?

The only reason why delay belongs in the loop is that you don't want your preamp to mess with the volume of the repeats. Preamp distortion causes compression which raises the loudness of the repeats so your delay pedal will be harder to set properly. (the same reason you don't really use delay before distortion) I think if you keep the gain low (no preamp clipping/disto/od) then you can put the delay anywhere. I play my amp clean all the time so i can put everything in front of the amp.

Probably my biggest fail in guitar playing among a lot of others is that i still can't tune a guitar by ear. I can hear when it is bad but i can't solve it by myself. Sometimes i play open strings in Guitar Pro and try to tune my guitar to that. Thank god the wilkinson bridge and locking tuners can hold the tune quite good. Also for some reason the neck of the guitar is quite stable so i don't really have tuning problems, i could play bends all day. I adjusted it only once in 3 years when i changed string gauge plus wanted a higher action.

The only reason why delay belongs in the loop is that you don't want your preamp to mess with the volume of the repeats. Preamp distortion causes compression which raises the loudness of the repeats so your delay pedal will be harder to set properly. (the same reason you don't really use delay before distortion) I think if you keep the gain low (no preamp clipping/disto/od) then you can put the delay anywhere. I play my amp clean all the time so i can put everything in front of the amp.

Probably my biggest fail in guitar playing among a lot of others is that i still can't tune a guitar by ear. I can hear when it is bad but i can't solve it by myself. Sometimes i play open strings in Guitar Pro and try to tune my guitar to that. Thank god the wilkinson bridge and locking tuners can hold the tune quite good. Also for some reason the neck of the guitar is quite stable so i don't really have tuning problems, i could play bends all day. I adjusted it only once in 3 years when i changed string gauge plus wanted a higher action.

Thanks, I'm thinking I'll set it up like this

tuner > whammy > wah > phaser > a/b box > parametric filter (in front of clean amp)

6 band EQ in loop of distorted amp

As for the delay pedal, I need to figure out whether to put it in the loop of the distorted amp, or in front of the clean amp (which doesn't have a loop)

Unless the one I'm looking at has two outputs...

And I can't tune perfectly by ear, but I can get close. Generally I just use something with a tuning tone...although it seems to vary if I use my tuner pedal

I tune by ear using harmonics. If you listen closely enough you can hear them "wobbling" until they get "smooth" at which point you're in tune.

Try the delay at the end of your board, so you can then use it with both amps. IMO the bit of compression introduced by the pre-amp is no bad thing (depending on what you're trying to do).

Guest Batman.

Yeah I use tuning by harmonics on guitar, when I know that it's already mostly in tune.

You can actually hear the warbling sound very faintly if you use the fifth fret and open higher string method. Tends to only work when it's really quiet though.

This is my pedalboard in a few months time:

Cheap ol' tuner => Fuzz Factory (maybe, pretty sure having both fuzz probe and factory is a bit much) => Whammy => Wah Probe => Fuzz Probe => Phase 90 => Behringer DD400 => Marshall DSL 401.

How does that sound?

• 2 weeks later...
finally getting this sorted

IMG_0659.jpg

just one question... is it generally a bad idea to have the tuner in the whammy dry output?

Thats what I do :erm: only problem ive ever noticed is that it doesnt like the high gain channel on my blackstar HT, gives a slightly annoying noise if they are both on

Archived