What it felt like to support Muse at Wembley by Tommy Bowen from White Lies

Hyper Memel

From his blog http://whiskeygreentea.blogspot.com/2010/09/muse-wembley-stadium-11910.html

Okay, I don't mind admitting that this was a big deal for me. Without wanting to get toooo nostalgic, I've been a fan of Muse since the age of 15. Bought Showbiz the week it came out. Me and my mates played it to death, something that perhaps correlates with my not-so-great exam results. Though I think that was more a combination of free-pool nights at The Tubman in Hastings, very cheap beer and a rather failed love life. Anyway, you get the idea. Point being, if someone had come up to me in 1999 and said to me that in 11 years time I'd be playing keyboards with a band that would support Muse at Wembley Stadium - WEMBLEY STADIUM - I'd have probably replied with "Fuck off will you mate, I'm trying to learn the riff to Cave", or something along those lines.

And so we come to Saturday. White Lies third appearance at Wembley, no less. Easily our best night of the tour. 3 oldies, 3 newies. Job done. Didn't manage to catch any Biff unfortunately - it was my last chance to sample the oh-so incredible Muse catering - but from what I gathered when meeting up with my 15 year-old cousin later on, it was quite something. As were Muse, predictably. UFOs, massive eyes, mechanical platforms, lasers, the works. And of course, all the while sounding utterly massive.

Just about worth the 11 year wait I reckon.

Aww, bless 'em! That's lovely. :happy: They were a good support act and made me forget about the gawd-awful Arrows band before them :LOL:. The guy behind me kept shouting 'Jesus! Jesus!' at the lead singer! But White Lies were solid and seemed to be really enjoying themselves. :happy: Biffy, though, stole the show as support, imo. And that Muse band was pretty good, too :p.

What did he say?

Nothing specific this time (he tellingly hasn't mentioned Muse at all!), but to put it simply he famously isn't the biggest muse fan seeing as his band always get compared to them by lazy journalists. I imagine he feels the same way about Matt as Matt felt about Thom Yorke when Muse were starting out. To clarify, his main band is Oceansize, but he was playing on Saturday as Biffy's second guitarist.

Nothing specific this time (he tellingly hasn't mentioned Muse at all!), but to put it simply he famously isn't the biggest muse fan seeing as his band always get compared to them by lazy journalists. I imagine he feels the same way about Matt as Matt felt about Thom Yorke when Muse were starting out. To clarify, his main band is Oceansize, but he was playing on Saturday as Biffy's second guitarist.

Oh really? I'd forgotten about that second guitarist. I've heard some Oceansize and I don't think they sound like Muse. But then I don't think Muse sound like Radiohead or Queen (apart from USoE).

Archived