It's a natural conclusion to come to though!

There's plenty of incredible love songs out there, NSC is just embarrassing to listen to. Feel good cheese is best left in the hands of ELO :happy:

"Feel good" isn't a good description of NSC though. It's honest, sad and reflective imo. You might not like it, that's up to you, but that doesn't mean that it hasn't worth for others.

"Feel good" isn't a good description of NSC though. It's honest, sad and reflective imo. You might not like it, that's up to you, but that doesn't mean that it hasn't worth for others.

The music is a bad attempt at feel good. There's far more to a song than just the words and how they are sung and it is all part of the emotion of song. It's hardly dark enough for the subversive pop thing.

The music is a bad attempt at feel good. There's far more to a song than just the words and how they are sung and it is all part of the emotion of song.

No the music compliments what the song is saying, imo. It's bitter/sweet. Good and bad memories. It's not dark because it incorporates happy memories as well as sadness. I think you may be missing some of the subtlety, the fact that it starts with "our love would be forever" continues with "our love is forever, could be forever" and ends with "my love will be forever":( The fact that the idea of dying together is a really strong statement, the honesty in the sweet, nerdy space metaphor, the failure to accomplish ideals, the piano pieces which say it all really, without words - reflection, memories, lost dreams...

No the music compliments what the song is saying, imo. It's bitter/sweet. Good and bad memories. It's not dark because it incorporates happy memories as well as sadness.

It just sounds like a pale imitation of ELO (No idea where all the Queen bollocks comes from, ELO was all about mixing rock & pop with classical music).

I don't care about subtlety, the song is shit, so why waste my time analysing the lyrics?

It just sounds like a pale imitation of ELO (No idea where all the Queen bollocks comes from, ELO was all about mixing rock & pop with classical music).

I don't care about subtlety, the song is shit, so why waste my time analysing the lyrics?

It's not about analysing the lyrics, the lyrics and the music work together in my opinion. The emotion is conveyed partly in the lyrics, partly in the music. But it's up to you what you think, just don't think that what you think is fact and that everyone will think the same as you. :)

BTW I like ELO. :) Though I don't think there are similarities between Muse and ELO and NSC certainly doesn't remind me of ELO at all. But I love bands that mix rock and pop with classical music. Probably one reason I love Muse so much.:happy:

It's not about analysing the lyrics, the lyrics and the music work together in my opinion. The emotion is conveyed partly in the lyrics, partly in the music. But it's up to you what you think, just don't think that what you think is fact and that everyone will think the same as you. :)

BTW I like ELO. :)

ELO are awesome, I just don't want Muse doing ELO, if I want to listen to ELO, I'll listen to ELO, not Muse trying to be them, Muse should be Muse.

The music is shit, the lyrics are naff and contrived and I don't care that he swaps a word around later, hardly makes up for his lyrics of present. And before you say something about not everyone thinking the same as me, I know that, but I don't care, as I'm often right. :p

ELO are awesome, I just don't want Muse doing ELO, if I want to listen to ELO, I'll listen to ELO, not Muse trying to be them, Muse should be Muse.

The music is shit, the lyrics are naff and contrived and I don't care that he swaps a word around later, hardly makes up for his lyrics of present. And before you say something about not everyone thinking the same as me, I know that, but I don't care, as I'm often right. :p

Haha! Not in this instance, in my opinion. :p Anyway I already replied to this in the edit of my previous post.

No the music compliments what the song is saying, imo. It's bitter/sweet. Good and bad memories. It's not dark because it incorporates happy memories as well as sadness. I think you may be missing some of the subtlety, the fact that it starts with "our love would be forever" continues with "our love is forever, could be forever" and ends with "my love will be forever":( The fact that the idea of dying together is a really strong statement, the honesty in the sweet, nerdy space metaphor, the failure to accomplish ideals, the piano pieces which say it all really, without words - reflection, memories, lost dreams...

Thank you for pointing that out.

As for transferring emotions, Neutron Star Collision most certainly does. Everybody who doesn't experience that just isn't open for them. And that's their loss.

@Liron and Humphrey: of course you are both, as everybody else is, entitled to your opinions.

However, I think it's unfair to bash at a Muse song when you don't even have all the base facts. (-> read the musewiki on the song, and then think about emotions and Twilight again)

I don't care if somebody dislikes the song because it's too much pop, or because it was used for the twilight soundtrack, or whatever. But calling it shallow and a twilight song is ignoring it's roots and thus actually insulting the band and Matt in the end, and I would have thought fans wouldn't like to do that. :rolleyes: Unless you aren't fans - but then why are you here?

And now finally on the topic of this thread - I'm not sure if I like the idea of smaller venues. For one, it'll be a lot harder to get tickets as already pointed out, for another, they are destined for big venues really. But of course small gigs would be lovely... I think it'd be cool if they do them, even if it means a lot of hassle for the tickets :)

Thank you for pointing that out.

As for transferring emotions, Neutron Star Collision most certainly does. Everybody who doesn't experience that just isn't open for them. And that's their loss.

@Liron and Humphrey: of course you are both, as everybody else is, entitled to your opinions.

However, I think it's unfair to bash at a Muse song when you don't even have all the base facts. (-> read the musewiki on the song, and then think about emotions and Twilight again)

I don't care if somebody dislikes the song because it's too much pop, or because it was used for the twilight soundtrack, or whatever. But calling it shallow and a twilight song is ignoring it's roots and thus actually insulting the band and Matt in the end, and I would have thought fans wouldn't like to do that. :rolleyes: Unless you aren't fans - but then why are you here?

And now finally on the topic of this thread - I'm not sure if I like the idea of smaller venues. For one, it'll be a lot harder to get tickets as already pointed out, for another, they are destined for big venues really. But of course small gigs would be lovely... I think it'd be cool if they do them, even if it means a lot of hassle for the tickets :)

If I have to read Wikipedia to "get" a song, there's something seriously wrong.

It is shallow, nothing personal or passionate about it, there's no real incite into the relationship or how it feel apart, just tacky cliches with nothing behind them.

Thousands of songs are written about relationships and breakups, doesn't make them good and just because it's Muse doesn't make it good either.

I agree with you Theresa!

I don't care if somebody dislikes the song because it's too much pop, or because it was used for the twilight soundtrack, or whatever. But calling it shallow and a twilight song is ignoring it's roots and thus actually insulting the band and Matt in the end

I did kind of think that it was almost accusing Matt of lying really, but I bit my tongue! He's been pretty frank about the roots of the song. Anyway, there you go...

It sounds from the Kerrang interview that Matt is still considering doing a more intimate album but that he expects that they will continue to perform in big venues. Well as long as the album is successful of course. Maybe if the album does turn out as he's thinking at the moment, they will do a mixture of venues.

It is shallow, nothing personal or passionate about it, there's no real incite into the relationship or how it feel apart, just tacky cliches with nothing behind them.

Thousands of songs are written about relationships and breakups, doesn't make them good and just because it's Muse doesn't make it good either.

What, you're asking him to give you insight into how his relationship fell apart? That's asking quite a lot really. For me it's enough to get insight into the depth of feeling and I certainly do not agree with your assessment that it's "tacky cliches with nothing behind them" or that there's no passion.

Though saying that, it sounds like he might be considering, right now, being more open in the next album.

What, you're asking him to give you insight into how his relationship fell apart? That's asking quite a lot really. For me it's enough to get insight into the depth of feeling.

It's not asking a lot at all, as that's what intimate, personal songs are all about, laying yourself bare and getting across the feeling/emotion still requires a personal touch, just like any anecdote/story.

Also, just because a band says something in an interview, doesn't make it true or 100% honest. You don't go into an interview and say "This song is just some shit we threw together in 5 mins to fulfill a contract", not saying NSC was, just take what's being said with a pinch of salt. They are there to sell a product at the end of the day.

It's just not deep at all. I wouldn't call it a song packed with emotion...or a good song either.

Anyway on the actual topic it would be great to see Muse in a small venue again, Royal Albert Hall was incredible in 2008, it's just the ticket problem, you would have to be incredibly lucky to manage to get one for those gigs anywhere in the arena..

It's not asking a lot at all, as that's what intimate, personal songs are all about, laying yourself bare and getting across the feeling/emotion still requires a personal touch, just like any anecdote/story.

To me it does have a personal touch. You just have to read between the lines and make you're own interpretation of what it means. And I get the emotion, in the notes of the piano and in the delivery. I don't need it spelt out to get it. I also very much doubt that, if it was laid bare as you say, it would have had the potential to reveal anything particularly earth shattering.:)

Just little things like the words "neutron star collision" give it personal touch. Who else has included that in a love song?

Also, just because a band says something in an interview, doesn't make it true or 100% honest. You don't go into an interview and say "This song is just some shit we threw together in 5 mins to fulfill a contract", not saying NSC was, just take what's being said with a pinch of salt. They are there to sell a product at the end of the day.

No I don't agree. He's not going to say something like that just to sell a song. Matt's a genuine artist and he did go through it. I'm not saying that everything he will say is 100% straight down the line and accurate. Of course he will disguise the truth at times to protect his own privacy if anything, but I really think the emotion behind this song is genuine.

To me it does have a personal touch. You just have to read between the lines and make you're own interpretation of what it means. And I get the emotion, in the notes of the piano and in the delivery. I don't need it spelt out to get it. I also very much doubt that, if it was laid bare as you say, it would have had the potential to reveal anything particularly earth shattering.:)

Just little things like the words "neutron star collision" give it personal touch. Who else has included that in a love song?

If you're having to read between the lines to make your own interpretation, then it's not an a honest, open song!

No I don't agree. He's not going to say something like that just to sell a song. Matt's a genuine artist and he did go through it. I'm not saying that everything he will say is 100% straight down the line and accurate. Of course he will disguise the truth at times to protect his own privacy if anything, but I really think the emotion behind this song is genuine.

Whether you agree or not is completely irrelevant. Not everything is about opinion.

It sounds from the Kerrang interview that Matt is still considering doing a more intimate album but that he expects that they will continue to perform in big venues. Well as long as the album is successful of course. Maybe if the album does turn out as he's thinking at the moment, they will do a mixture of venues.

That would be cool too :) A few smaller and a few larger gigs... yummy :happy:

If you're having to read between the lines to make your own interpretation, then it's not an a honest, open song!

Wrong. Everything is open to interpretation, always. (basics of human communication, because every person has his or her own reality, as everybody has his or her eyes, brains and so on.)

If you need songs that spell out "My heart hurts because xyz left me ouch ouch" (though now, HOW does the heart hurt... is it a stinging or a blunt pain, does it feel captured and encaged...does the person feel wronged, or is he/she just sad, totally heartbroken...) you'll have to look elsewhere or write them yourself.

You just proved that you have totally missed the point. Points, actually.

Directing you to wikipedia was meant as a help for you to understand. Obviously you don't want to. And as you can't understand the song without, and understand the matter Matt describes, I actually feel sorry for you. You're missing something, but as it's you're own fault, tough luck.

What, you're asking him to give you insight into how his relationship fell apart? That's asking quite a lot really. For me it's enough to get insight into the depth of feeling...

+1 :yesey:

...but I really think the emotion behind this song is genuine.

I get it too, and I'm as sure as any listener to a song can actually be that it's 100% genuine. And I've been right about such things (other bands) in the past so I am perfectly sure.

I think it's honest in the emotion that is being expressed. It's about looking back at a relationship which was expected to last forever after it is over :( and I'm sorry but if you can't relate to the emotion and sentiment of that, without it being spelt out, there's not much more I can say. Well I can but I'd probably get in trouble! :chuckle:

I suppose it's down to expectations. I don't really expect an artist to totally bare their soul for my entertainment. In fact I'm not even sure I would find that enjoyable. All I look for in a song is that I can relate to it, that it makes me feel something, and this song does, makes me feel, a lot actually.

Whether you agree or not is completely irrelevant. Not everything is about opinion.

I don't agree with you that it is likely that Matt has pretended the song has a background it hasn't, in order to sell it. Whereas there is, of course, only one reality, unless you have factual information in relation to Matt's motivations, I think it's fair to have an opinion on that which differs from your's. Personally I'm happy to accept what Matt has said. :)

I don't agree with you that it is likely that Matt has pretended the song has a background it hasn't, in order to sell it. Whereas there is, of course, only one reality, unless you have factual information in relation to Matt's motivations, I think it's fair to have an opinion on that which differs from your's. Personally I'm happy to accept what Matt has said. :)

This particular matter has absolutely nothing to do with opinions, you clearly need to learn where your opinion matters and where it doesn't. I'm talking from my own experience within the music industry and that of others.

I'm not suggesting Matt is pretending anything, just giving you an insight into how the industry and Muse themselves work (Along with their management, label(s) etc) and telling you not everything is how it seems and not to quote it as absolutely fact when trying to make a point.

Archived